MOBO for college student/ gamer first build

pen360guin

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hey i really need help choosing a new motherboard. I have a friend who pushed me ASUS so thats primarily what I have been looking at. For on one my problem is i i cant pick between Intel and AMD i hear AMD is good but their not doing so well fiscally. Here are the main things I am looking for in a motherboard.

The case will hold ATX or extended ATX. its the cooler master cosmos case.

64 bit cable(i heard i should look into it. should it matter?)
6 x Serial ATA
SLI or would Crossfire be better.
at least 4g of ram
I dont know if wanting to put in an HD dvd or blu ray drive will affect anything
The case will fit 7 PCI cards and i would like no less than 7

I am currently a student in college and im into gaming. I plan on using a vizio 32 inch LCD tv as the monitor as well so i dont have to go buy a new one. I would prefer not to spend over $300 which seems to be the range of most.

By the way this will be the first computer i will build

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Answer these questions first.

1. What is your budget for the whole PC?

2. What is this PC going to honestly be used for? (gaming, pRon, video edit, etc.)

pen360guin

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
1.) I would liek to keep the rest of the PC punder $1000 I bought a WD 1TB HDD for it already. I can go over this budget if it needs to.

Im looking at Cooler Master 1000w power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171022

2.) Im a CS major and i would like to go into designing programs probably working for a company though not too much on my own PC. I would love to get into designing websites which would be using Flash.
I also want to use it for gaming. I plan also using this to back up my dvds and other media on. I would like it to be able to fully use HD. Also a concern of mine is if its practical to hook it up to the TV i mentioned before. I doesnt have a DVI slot but it does have an HDMI and supports 1080p.

amberion2dp

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
1000w is extreme overkill unless you wanna do triple SLI, which you won't be able to manage with a 1k budget. 550-600w should be sufficient for your budget.

pen360guin

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Tne budget is for right now just to put it together as time goes on i plain on adding more 1tb harddrive as they fill. I will bebacking up my dvd collection on this box. would that still be too much power? The drives are WD's greendrives and im trying to be as low power as i can but i wanted to makes sure I have enough power for the future. Triple SLI is only on the new NVidia boards right?