nac2002

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I just updated the GA-8I845GV BIOS to the latest one, after programming the blocks I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del key. After that there's no response on the Mother Board or no display.

Can anyone help me about this, if there's a BIOS Recovery program to retrieve the default BIOS settings? Please help me.

No response on reboot equals dead bios. Try removing the board battery for a few seconds. You can also try an old pci video card to see if it will post. Other alternative is to hot flash the bios chip; either with another gigabyte board or at your favorite computer store, if you have one near by. Asus charges $5 to reflash an asus bios; don't know if gigabyte will do it for you, or just send you a new one. There is a bios recovery online store that charges about $25 to send you a program to reuse your old bios chip, but I've forgotten the name. Places like computer geeks, mwave, newegg, and smksuperstore sometimes have refurbished boards starting at about $30 shipped, but socket 478 is getting scarce.

Download UNIFLASH. Also download the old BIOS version you were using. Re flash the Old BIOS using UniFlash. This software usually works even if the other flashing utilities don't work (ie, awdflash, etc)

Link:
http://www.uniflash.org/

If this doesn't work ask Gigabyte to send you a new EEPROM chip. I was modding a DS3 BIOS a while back (about 6-7 months), and I killed the EEPROM chip, Gigabyte replaced it for about $15( including shipping, etc)

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
I don't know about what shadow said but I think you should try his idea first. As for mine, this is what I copied off somewhere that I forgot, it worked for me.

Step by step guide to recover corrupt Award BIOS:

1. Make a bootable floopy disk. One easy way to create boot disk is to use Windows Explorer (or Computer window in Vista and ‘Copy system files’ in older version) to format the floppy disk, and select the option ‘Create a MS-DOS startup disk’.
2. Copy the Award flash utility & BIOS file to the floppy disk. Both files can be downloaded from motherboard’s manufacturer.
3. Create an autoexec.bat file with any text editor such as Notepad, and type in an auto flash command in following syntax: Award_Flash_Utility BIOS_Filename. For example,

awdfl823K w6378vms.130
(awdfl823k been filename of flash utility and w6378vms.130 been the filename of BIOS file.)

or

awdflash XXXXXXXX.BIN /py/sn/f/cc/r
flashv73 XXXXXXXX.BIN /py/sn/f/cc/r

(awdflash and flashv73 been filename of flash tool, and XXXXXXXX.BIN is file name of BIOS dump. All switches after the flash command are necessary when flashing the BIOS. It has the following meaning:

py = program yes
sn = save no
f = flash
cc = clear CMOS
r = reboot)

Replace with the file name of your BIOS flash utility and BIOS file. Remember to save the file as autoexec.bat.
4. Boot up system with the floppy.
5. The system should auto execute autoexec.bat and flash overwrite the BIOS. If any prompt appears, follow accordingly.
6. Reboot the computer.

Recovery procedures for AMI BIOS

1. Download the latest version or your choose version of BIOS file for your computer or motherboard from the manufacturer’s support site.
2. Rename the downloaded file to AMIBOOT.ROM.
3. Copy the file to a floppy disk.
4. Insert the floppy disk to the floppy drive.
5. Turn on the system.
6. The system should automatically access the floppy drive (indicated LED will light up). If no floppy access occurs press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. Follow any on screen instruction to restore and recover the good BIOS from the floppy disk.
7. When 4 beeps are heard or a reboot prompt you may remove the floppy disk.
8. Restart the computer.

If you decide to replace your motherboard, compusa has a brand new msi socket 478 board with via chipset for $48.99. It might be cheaper in one of their stores, or make a lower offer. Management might take it, since they're closing all their stores.

The one thing that most people fail to mention who suggest all the BIOS recovery software out there, is that if your PC does nothing, no post, no life, nothing on the screen, you are pretty much screwed. Downloading BIOS recovery software will only work if you can at least get the PC to start and attempt to POST. After all, if the PC does nothing at all, it's kind of hard to follow the "insert floppy and boot-up directions", right? If you have accidentally deleted or corrupted your current BIOS to the point the PC will do nothing, there is nothing YOU can do to fix it, save a hot swap attempt if someone you know has the exact same board. However, you can easily end up with 2 non-working systems if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
Try resetting the BIOS with the jumper or removing the battery for a few moments. If this doesn't at least get you something on screen, you have to either get a new BIOS chip, return the BIOS/Board to manufacturer and them reflash it for you, or just use this as an excuse to upgrade and buy a new board.

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
@jitpublisher: Mine is for bricked motherboard. Most of bricked ones still can be recover using my directions. I wonder if it is better than buying a new BIOS EEPROM and soldier it yourself if yours is not in a socket? Most BIOSes I have worked with has a part that won't get overwritten when flashing normally (with certain switches and with certain flashing software it will be overwritten too), and that part is also the place where they put the fail safe program to do what I said above.