winXP x64 with 8GB problem

delphis

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hi,

I have ABIT AW9D-MAX MB with 8GB of RAM (2 set of OCZ 4096MB 800MHZ Titanium 4-4-4-15 - OCZ2T800C44GK) and windows XP x64

I first installed 4GB and the system ran smoothly. Next I tried to install the other 4GB set and the system keeps reboots

The MB sees there are 8GB, and I can log on using safe mode, or safe mode with networking, but it keeps rebooting when trying to log on regulary

I've looked at the event log and there was an error with the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) so I disabled it just in case (actually I don't know why it runs). But it still keeps rebooting and I don't see any other error in the event log

I also switched modules - each 4GB set works perfectly on its own.

Any suggestions (as to the source of the problem / methods to find the problem) ?

Thanks

Delphis

dagoth_ur

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
At first, try to run memtest with all the modules installed. Sometimes, the timings of your RAM have to be relaxed when all 4 modules are installed, so even if your RAM is CL4 certified, in this case it may not work. Try 5-5-5-15

delphis

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hi and thanks for the help but so far no good :cry:

I'm running winXP x64

Regarding the boot - in safe mode it comes up and running
in regular mode it goes just before user login screen, then you can see a flash of BSOD and it just reboot

I raised the voltage to 2.3, lowered the timing - even did both - and didn't work

I started memtest86+ but didn't know it should take so long (maybe since it is 8GB) and I had to stop it after 8 hours since we had a planned electricity power stop in our area for the day (electricity maintenance)

I'm planning to run memtest86+ again tonight to do the full cycle and I'll let you know

Set up a memory dump: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307973

Then look up the error codes on MSFT's support site. That'll at least give you a firm~er direction.

I second dagoth's opinion - Some mobo's don't like driving 4 DIMMS at their rated speeds. You may need to relax your timings, increase voltage (slightly!) over the recommended, or possibly even drop a speed. (from 800 to 667, for example).

delphis

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hi

Did memtest86+ and it failed one test (test5), not in every pass (only in 3 out of 8), does it mean I should RMA it ?

When I use only that pair alone it pass the memtest and I don't have any problems with the computer (no BSOD)

any suggestions ?

Mondoman

Splendid
As mentioned above many consumer motherboards have problems running with 4 DIMMs installed, as that is pushing the design limits. Normally slightly increasing the memory controller/north bridge voltage (in the BIOS) will help. Another option is to use higher-quality memory (e.g. memory that works at the DDR2 standard 1.8V).

saddietaz

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I got the same reboot problem. I have googled hours for a solution and found this site. I have 4x2GB Patriot RAMs at 800MHz with a latency of 5-5-5-12 for my Dell XPS 720. I have XP Pro x64 OS installed. When I throw in 1x2GB, the PC is fine. When 2x2GB is installed, the PC is OK too and the OS recognizes 4GB RAMs. Yet, the PC starts to repeatedly reboot itself as soon as the XP logo appears when I install more than 4GB RAMs. I tried to install 1x2GB RAM to test them out individually, each worked fine when installed alone. I also tried to install 2x2GB and mixed with 2x1GB OCZ 800mhz RAMs, the system again kept rebooting itself. All in all, I can't install more than 4GB RAMs to my PC or it will keep rebooting. I can't even get to the safe mode with more than 4GB RAMs installed. I installed the most updated BIOS as well as the latest nvidia 680i chipset but still no go. Any ideas how to fix this problem? Your comments are welcome and appreciated. Thank you and happy New Year!

asmithey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Finally,

I found people with same problem. I have s5000XVN Intel board. The supports up to 32gigs of ram. I currently have 4 gigs. Runs great! Running win xp x64 OS. I purchased 4 more gigs of the same ram and the system continually reboots. I did the memory swap and the new ram works fine in A1, B1 slots as does my existing ram.

The bios says it has 8 gigs when all sticks are slotted.

Intel told me to install all of the ram and do a repair/ install of the operating system. This way the ram would be recognized during the install.

I have not tried it yet. Too busy. If anyone tries it let us know how it went.

Thanks,

Aaron

johnolulu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I have the same problem, I have an Intek dg33fb, I updated the Bios and now I can use 6gb of ram, but when I put the other 2 My system keep rebooting, Any ideas.

theshwartz

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Had the same type of problem with my asus p5b. I bought 2 1 gig stick corsairs to make a 4 gig system and also bought a new radeon 4870 card. For about 4 days the system was running fine. Yesterday my system started rebooting for no apparent reason. After I reloaded vista it kept rebooting. After I removed 2 sticks of memory and reloaded vista so far everyting is working fine. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the video cards memory managment?

Texas-Hansen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008

Might be the demand on the power supply with the new video card and added memory.

theshwartz

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
Yes I'm changing out the PSU next week. I also ran a test via vista's memory check and noted that the new corsairs that I purchased may be bad. I'll be running memtest on them this weekend sometime. Thanks for the info