SuperiorRobot

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2007
Title says it all, my CD drive is coming up in BIOS as the slave, and it wont boot up my linux disc, says its an invalid system disc, are these things related? I have nothing else on IDE, my HDD is SATA.
Ive got the Gigabyte D3sl or whatever its called, you know what one im talking about ;]] Any help is appreciated, thanks!

4745454b

Titan
I'm guessing this was a new CD drive that you bought. If thats the case, it probably came jumpered as a slave. (they probably thought you already had a CD drive, and prejumpered it for you as a slave/second optical drive.) Because you moved it to the slave position on the IDE cable and it now works is the give away clue. If you want, put it back where it was, move it to the end of the IDE cable, and jumper it as a master. It should work.

4745454b

Titan
For a second I thought you were trying to tell me there was no place to move the jumper around, as there was no jumper block. (Impossible for IDE.) From what I remember, if there is no jumper installed, then it is a slave. Find a jumper (don't worry about size, there are only two sizes...) and make it master if you need it back where it was. If not, don't F with it seeing as its working. I only posted so that you'd know whats going on.

pat

Expert
the jumper bypass the cable location for master/slave if set as master or slave. Cable Select position of the jumper allow cable position to define the master/slave.