First build - black screws?

hrtbreaker

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Happy Holidays,

I'm in the process of my first homebuild.

I've got an Ultra Wizard case and a Gigabyte ATX motherboard.

I'm trying to figure out which screws to use to attach the motherboard to the case.

The case didn't come with any instructions but did come with brass standoffs, about 50 silver screws (phillips heads with flat bottoms), and a baggie of 8 black screws (phillips heads with pointed bottoms).

Which screws should I use to attach the mobo to the case? What are the black screws for? I'm surprised they have pointed tips while all the others have flat bottoms.

Thank you for your assistance!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You should have only 9 standoffs for an atx MB, and as lambofgod said, try to find the screws that properly fit.

Make sure that the standoffs are mounted in positions that match your MB...

akhilles

Splendid
Look closely at the 50 silver screws (phillips heads with flat bottoms). They're 2 different kinds: thin-threaded for drives & thick-threaded for pci slots, case panels & standoffs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/PC_Screws.jpg/800px-PC_Screws.jpg

The thumb screw on the left is typically one of the 4/6 screws that holds the side panels, the 2nd screw from the left is for mobo & pci slots & psu & maybe side panels if thumb screws aren't provided, the 2nd from the right is for drives, & the rightmost is for case fans.