Computer cannot start without lan cable plugged in!

pkthunder

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hi, recently i bought a wireless usb connector with a wireless router. i've tried to install it and removed my lan wire that connects to my modem...however i've noticed that whenever i dont haave the lan cable plugged in, the computer wouldnt even boot pass the motherboard's startup screen. :pfff:

Power supply is the one that came with my case: Antec NSK3480

My specs are:
Motherboard: Asrock ConRoe1333-D667 R1.0 Bios 1.30
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz
Memory: 2 X 1GB DDR2
HD: Seagate 500GB SATA
I'm using the onboard graphic and the lan.

i've tried formatting my hard drive, and re-install windows xp still no luck...

Any clue guys?

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005
Also check whether you have ethernet boot rom enabled in the BIOS, normally at the same place as NIC enable/disable option. Last resort is updating the BIOS.

pkthunder

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
ok i've tried another power supply and it has solved the problem :s

this is so strange...wtf?!?!

my friend said it's because the antec's psu needs a higher initial load to boot?

is that true? he said that if i add a video card, the problem would fix itself...is that true? before i dash out to buy a new video card.

Never heard this before.....but it might be possible.

thuan

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2005

if this is true, I guess I have learnt some thing new today.

rgsaunders

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
http://www.antec.com/specs/EA380_spe.html
Suspect you made a typo on your listing for the power supply, the NSK 3480 case comes with the EA 380 power supply. The link listed shows the specificiations, including minimum load on each of the circuits. However, given your listed configuration it is unlikely that minimum load is the issue. Try the other suggestions of turning off BIOS Boot Rom for the LAN first, or the onboard NIC, although it is possible that there are other issues with your power supply.

pkthunder

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
i tried turning off the lan on the mobo, the computer wont boot pass the mobo's post screen

i pulled out the old ide hard drive from my old computer and now it's working without the lan wire :bounce:

so freakin' weird