Sign in with
Your question

Preliminary Nehalem Socket & Chipset Info!

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2007 1:29:28 PM

Offering some tasty info for the forum masses. Enjoy!

I don't know about you, but I'm very interested in Intel's Nehalem especially after reading about QuickPath and the fact that Intel is moving to an IMC. We know that Nehalem would require a new socket and chipset but there has not really been any info about what they might look like or what features they might offer.

I caught this article from Beyon3D which offers some preliminary insight and speculation on what those sockets and chipset might be.

So based on our own analysis (and speculation) of existing information, we try to clarify what the actual products will be, and what it will mean for other companies.
[u said:
Sockets

• Socket 1366: 3xDDR3, External PCI Express, 1-2xQuickPath (Optional 2S?), Q408.
    Socket 1160: 2xDDR3, 16xPCI Express Gen2, DMI (to southbridge, slower than FSB), 1H09.
    Socket 715: No IMC, Optional PCI Express, 1xQuickPath to northbridge, 1H09.
    Desktop CPUs

• Bloomfield: Socket 1366, Quad-Core, Ultra-High-End.
    Lynnfield: Socket 1160, Quad-Core, High-End.
    Havendale: Socket 1160, MCM (CPU+GPU/IMC), Dual-Core, Mid-Range.
    ?Havendale?: Socket 715, Dual-Core, Low-End. Northbridges can use DDR2.
    Chipsets

• Socket 1366: Northbridge (PCI Express) + ICHx Southbridge (I/O).
    Socket 1160: Single-Chip Southbridge (I/O) aka Ibexpeak PCH
    Socket 715: NVIDIA: Single-Chip, Intel/SiS: ???
    ]

So based on our own analysis (and speculation) of existing information, we try to clarify what the actual products will be, and what it will mean for other companies.
    Sockets

• Socket 1366: 3xDDR3, External PCI Express, 1-2xQuickPath (Optional 2S?), Q408.
    Socket 1160: 2xDDR3, 16xPCI Express Gen2, DMI (to southbridge, slower than FSB), 1H09.
    Desktop CPUs

• Bloomfield: Socket 1366, Quad-Core, Ultra-High-End.
    Lynnfield: Socket 1160, Quad-Core, High-End.
    Havendale: Socket 1160, MCM (CPU+GPU/IMC), Dual-Core, Mid-Range.
    ?Havendale?: Socket 715, Dual-Core, Low-End. Northbridges can use DDR2.
    Chipsets

• Socket 1366: Northbridge (PCI Express) + ICHx Southbridge (I/O).
    Socket 1160: Single-Chip Southbridge (I/O) aka Ibexpeak PCH
    Socket 715: NVIDIA: Single-Chip, Intel/SiS: ???
  • [/u]

• Intel's C2D has proven to be a monster and moving forward with an IMC and QuickPath, a Nehalem based machine should prove a very interesting and a monster of a machine.

What are your thoughts and insight? Please feel free to comment and discuss...
    December 7, 2007 1:43:29 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but QuickPath replaces the FSB, right? If so then:
    Quote:
    Performance numbers for QuickPath are reported to be 4.8 to 6.4 Gigatransfers per second (GT/s) per direction, targeting 24.0 to 32.0 GB/s bandwidth per link
    That is amazing. :o  My M2N-E is only 2000 MT/s if I recall. Sounds like there is ton of potential to be unleashed by the up and coming hardware.
    December 7, 2007 2:26:23 PM

I didn't see any timeframe for the release of these products in the article. As I'm getting ready to make a build, I'd really like to know that answer. If these new chips and motherboards are coming out next month or something, I can hold off. If they are coming out 6-12 months from now, or even later, then the article is wasted space in my opinion.

Perhaps to put it differently, since the new chips will require new motherboards, I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a build and find it obsolete before I get finished. But if this stuff is some fantasy from the future, then I will deal with the here and now.
    Related resources
    a b à CPUs
    December 7, 2007 2:30:18 PM

Sailer:

Socket 1366: 3xDDR3, External PCI Express, 1-2xQuickPath (Optional 2S?), Q408.

December 7, 2007 3:06:12 PM

Thank you. Now I won't worry about these new chips and mobos.
    December 7, 2007 5:55:47 PM

Should be monsters of performance :)  Three sockets a bit too much IMO, two meant for high-end? If I''ll upgrade at that time to next Intel gen, it will be harder to decide what to choose, unless Intel will make significant price difference for "ultra high-end", like 1,5k$ for cpu and 500+$ for MB ;) 
    May 1, 2008 3:08:21 AM

damn... to build or not to build... ... ba, i'm gonna go crazy... that's some insane performance though... think maybe i'll just upgrade the sempron system that was just given to me and try to suck another year out of that...
    May 1, 2008 3:51:02 AM

I feel its a bit of a concern that they are speculating 3 different sockets. The ultra-high end "socket 1366" i can understand as it would be much the same as what skulltrail is now and not many will use it. But to have 2 different sockets for high and low end seems insane, it kills any upgrade paths that you might be thinking of
    May 1, 2008 4:55:17 AM

I wouldn't expect that many sockets. It's pure speculation on Beyon3D's part.
    May 1, 2008 4:55:29 AM

Chookman, The 1366 socket is actually the socket for servers but Intel is going to make a HEDT board with it. You pay the price on the high end for the 3 DDR3 channels of memory and to have your Nehalem this year.

Then the 1066 socket is more for me and you. This should still give us plenty of capability. Not sure we need all of the bandwidth on the desktop.

The 715 will be for the entry and lower mainstream people. More for the fast majority of buyers out in the world.
    May 1, 2008 6:09:43 AM

Lots of facts here on Nehalem variants in the FAQ...

http://www.nehalemnews.com/2008/04/nehalem-faq.html

The 1366 Socket will be used by Bloomfield (high-end desktop and dual socket server)

The 1160 Socket will be for Mainstream variants (Lynnfield and Havendale).

The extra pins in the higher end parts are needed for the triple channel memory controller and the QuickPath interconnect. Each DDR3 channel needs 128 bits (pins) plus the quickpath controller needs a variety of pins (40+)

I'll be collecting more information on www.nehalemnews.com as it becomes available.

Cheers,
    -Chris.
    May 2, 2008 5:32:52 AM

pausert20 said:
    Chookman, The 1366 socket is actually the socket for servers but Intel is going to make a HEDT board with it. You pay the price on the high end for the 3 DDR3 channels of memory and to have your Nehalem this year.

Then the 1066 socket is more for me and you. This should still give us plenty of capability. Not sure we need all of the bandwidth on the desktop.

The 715 will be for the entry and lower mainstream people. More for the fast majority of buyers out in the world.

There is still one extra socket than normal... LGA775 did everything except the latest Extreme and Xeons, just seems another way to divide and confuse
    a c 127 à CPUs
    May 2, 2008 2:36:44 PM

chookman said:
    There is still one extra socket than normal... LGA775 did everything except the latest Extreme and Xeons, just seems another way to divide and confuse

True but it is still what I would expect really. Intel is moving most of its chips to an IMC. All will have QPI. But for the uber low end people who only need it for internet access (like my grand parents) and such a IMC is useless therefore they will keep it on the FSB. This in turn may be cheaper and allow Intel to make low end CPUs like the Pentium DCs and maybe even add in a GPU in the chip and still make it cheap for them.

As for me, I know which one I will get. Bloomfeild with a dose of triple channel DDR3. MMMM... bandwidth........
    May 2, 2008 7:13:57 PM

I hope within the fullness of time that these processors product the outstanding results that we are after..

It sounds like the new processor will be just as worthy as the C2D over the P4 by giving a jump of a significant margin...

I just hope the overclocking potential is still there some where as FSB is gone which has plaged us for the last 25 years or so..

I look forward to getting this new processor at the end of the year.. Only problem is what sort of power supply will it need... I bet its gonna be ATX 4.0 or something stupid and the ram sockets will need a separate power connector...

Hope not but nothing suprises me anymore.....

DDR3 looks good and the bandwidth looks excellent..

Lets hope there are still gaming companies still writing pc games when the new chip comes out...

All we need now is SATA III with hard disks with 64 or 128 Mb Cache... or a hybrid SD / HD to help boot and run windows faster as the hard disk is now the biggest bottleneck....

Why we need all these sockets is a mystery, why not produce a single socket solution which auto senses what chips installed and takes advantage of it all.. Ie a 1066 chip plugs into a 1336 socket but uses the less pins that are plugged in..

This technology must be available by now....

If im off target or missing the point then feel free to criticise etc etc or praise :) 

!