Trying to get 500gb portable storage for MBP

alphaex32

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I've been considering getting a large 2.5" drive and usb enclosure for portable storage. My main concerns are portability and being able to power the drive from my MBP bus. I will be replacing a 3.5" 500gb drive, so I'd like to get one of the few 500gb 2.5" ones. I'm looking at Samsung's SpinPoint M6 and the WD Scorpio Blue which will be available soon. On the M6 specsheet, it says that the spin-up power requirement is 1000mA while my MBP (and most other laptops I believe) provides only 500mA to each USB port. This means that I'd
have to use a power adapter or give up both my usb ports to provide the extra power (neither of which I'd liked to do). The WD scorpio, on the other hand, appears to use "Reduced Power Spinup" technology to allow it to consume less power. I can't find an exact spin-up power requirement for the WD drive, however, so maybe someone with experience could confirm this. My MBP also has FW800, so maybe this spec could power a 500gb drive? If so, could someone recommend a decent enclosure that has firewire800?

If USB power would be sufficient, I was looking at the Rocketfish enclosure, which also has eSATA if I eventually need it, however no firewire.
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2995342

Silicant3D

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Alphaex32,

The WD ML5000TN also draws more current than most usb drives.

In their brochure Western Digital states that on some systems you may need a two headed usb adapter cable to drive the unit. Basically the extra head is power only to share the power load between two usb ports.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Silicant3D