cant set my resolution to 1680 x 1050!!

rossko

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
alright ive had this monitor for about a year now samsung syncmaster 204bw and i used it on my older 7600gt, come to find out its native resolution didnt show on my list i could pick from, now that wouldnt matter if it didnt repeatedly flash black over and over till i have to hard reset the monitor. after awhile i just went back to my old crt. now that i bought a new 8600gt i went to set it to 1680 x 1050 but it doesnt show up like before, the closest thing is 1600 x 1200. :pfff:

my drivers are updated for my card and monitor
also im using dvi as the connection type

if anyone read this and has any suggestions i'd apreciate them, thanks

singingigo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I've had the same situation with Geforce cards.You will probably have to load an outdated driver. If you read the driver release notes, it will tell you what resolution modes are supported. I can't recall off-hand which driver will work for you. I know there is one in the 90 series drivers that work. I know many of the newest releases do not work. It stunk. I finally ditched the 20" and bought a 24" so I could run the latest drivers...(well, that and I LOVE my big screens!)

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I have read many times that the program that comes with your monitor (Magic Tune or whatever its called) can sometimes cause a confict issue with the Nvidia drivers. Make sure in the in-game settings that your click display all resolutions because like GRAW 2 has this little check box that after you put a check mark in the box it will show more display resolutions. Don't know for sure though but thats all I have and know. Good luck fixxing your problem. :D

gubbe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I had the exact same problem but I got it fixed.
Here's how I did it:

First I found out what my Graphics Card or whatever is called so I could download the correct drivers for it.
I typed dxdiag in the run box
guide3.png

and then checked the name from, euh, here:
guide4.png

Then I simply googled "Drivers for NVidia" as nvidia is my graphics card manufacturer... (my official terminology is limited to Finnish language, please forgive me)
guide1.png

Then I gave the details I found out in the 2nd image and downloaded the driver. After setup I had to restart my computer, of course:
guide2.png

After installing the fresh, new drivers I went to see the Display settings, whether I could now find a resolution option of 1680x1050 but it still wasn't there. :*(
So I needed to go to advanced options and view also the resolutions that were "inappropriate" for my display, by removing the tab from the box,
like this:
guide5.png

NOW I could find the 1680x1050 resolution from the slide bar and set it there and it worked!

May I suggest you try the same. :) And plz apologise for the text in the images is in Finnish... Plus my english computer terminology is poor, it'd require some good will of you to understand what I'm saying. :(

majohnso

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I've just experianced this problem. Well I've had it a few times over the last few months but a reinstallation of the driver software usually solved it but now even that seems to have stopped working!

the unchecking "hide modes...." work around still doesnt solve the problem for applications (such as games) which do not appear to recognise this setting.

If anyone has a "proper" fix I would greatly appretiate it!