No Video for Post on 1st Time Build

100ll

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Newbie here - so I am trying to do a quick post of the most basic components which include the following:
Asus P5K vanilla mobo
Core 2 Duo 6750
EVGA 8800GT SC
2GB OCZ Platinum 6400 rev2 - slots 1 and 3 (yellow)
Antec 480watt Trueblue 2.0
HP Keyboard

On 1st try no juice. Then found out I forgot a power connection - now have 20+4 and 4 pin connected along with the graphics card and CPU fan. Second try gave me power up and then down for just a second. Then read that first time post sometimes works best with 1 stick of RAM. So I left 1 stick in slot 1 which gave me power. Interchanged between the 2 sticks of RAM and both give me power on of all fans with one stick installed. Now....no video. Light on monitor blinks green, video fan is running, but nothing on screen. Also, no beep codes. I do not have a speaker in my case (Antec 900) so I think I am out of luck for beeps - or am I? I do not have any compatible hardware to switch out with such as a PCI graphics card (AGP on my old system).

Any help on what to do next would be appreciated.

akhilles

Splendid
FYI, the Geforce doesn't need a power connection for 2D & text. The driver will warn you that you forgot the power connection, unlike *cough* Catalyst *cough*.

Does your monitor have both D-SUB & DVI inputs?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'd start with disabling it and taking the board out. Make sure you have the Precise number of standoffs. With the mobo out of the case start with one stick of RAM and your video card. If that works then put in the other stick When you reinstall the mobo be sure you have the exact number of screws for the standoffs. Then test after each piece you install. This could be caused by any number of things and you can either try different things hoping something works or just start from scratch, which is sometimes easier.

a 6pack in

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
i didnt have any video at first on my recent build.. but i didnt have any ram in either, i was just havin some wishful thinking it would post but it didnt..

for me it was memory.. poped in my OCZ and everything was golden.. so check your memory..