No Video on Post for 1st time build

100ll

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Newbie here - so I am trying to do a quick post of the most basic components which include the following:
Asus P5K vanilla mobo
Core 2 Duo 6750
EVGA 8800GT SC
2GB OCZ Platinum 6400 rev2 - slots 1 and 3 (yellow)
Antec 480watt Trueblue 2.0
HP Keyboard

On 1st try no juice. Then found out I forgot a power connection - now have 20+4 and 4 pin connected along with the graphics card and CPU fan. Second try gave me power up and then down for just a second. Then read that first time post sometimes works best with 1 stick of RAM. So I left 1 stick in slot 1 which gave me power. Interchanged between the 2 sticks of RAM and both give me power on of all fans with one stick installed. Now....no video. Light on monitor blinks green, video fan is running, but nothing on screen. Also, no beep codes. I do not have a speaker in my case (Antec 900) so I think I am out of luck for beeps - or am I? I do not have any compatible hardware to switch out with such as a PCI graphics card (AGP on my old system).

Any help on what to do next would be appreciated.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Delete your other post, you doubled posted.

As for your problem - Make sure everything is connected. The 20+4 pin and the 4 pin CPU plug. The video card also needs it's extra power from the 6pin. ( Often times people forget to plug the 4 pin CPU plug in - at least 5 times this week that I've seen)

Also try switching the RAM to slots to the 2 & 4 black slots.

*edit* I'm going to assume you used stand-offs as well? I know my Antec 900 came with ATX stand-offs already in place, but I should ask just to make sure.

100ll

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Thanks for the reply
The whole 20+4 pin is plugged in as well as the CPU 4 pin. CPU fan is plugged in. PCI express power is plugged in.
Currently I am bench testing the system - the mobo is sitting on the antistatic bag next to the case. The case power on switch plug is connected to the mobo. I thought about trying the black RAM slots and will try that tomorrow. Is there any speaker in the Antec case or any other way to hear bios beeps? Anything else to look for?

Did you force in the PCI-Express power connection? It should go in easy. On some PSUs it is easy to plug in the wrong end.
Place the motherboard on a piece of cardboard. Do not use the antistatic bag, because it conducts electricity.
Some Antec cases have no connection for the speaker. If that is the case, call Antec technical support, they will mail you a speaker.

100ll

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I think the PCI is in correctly - it clicked in place. I had no idea about the antistatic conducting electricity :ouch: I hope I am not absolutely destroying this build!