Sign in with
Your question

4-Pin Power Connector?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2007 3:00:13 AM

I'm getting a two slot fans to help cool my brother's 8800GT. They have a 4-pin connector. I'm wondering, does this plug into the power supply or the mobo? I just looked at a picture of the motherboard he is buying, and it doesn't appear to have a 4 pin connection (that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there)...

More about : pin power connector

December 7, 2007 3:36:32 AM

If it is a 4 pin Molex that looks like the connector on the PSU, then you plug it into the PSU.

December 7, 2007 3:59:05 AM

I don't know of any slot fans that plug into a 4-pin connector on the motherboard. There are processor fans that take a 4, but that is it. So it does need power supply for the 4 pin. Some of them come with an adapter to use a 3 pin from the motherboard. I think that Zorg gave you the best description, being a picture.
Almost forgot, why do you need to cool his 8800GT with to slot fans? It would be more efficient to use an after market cooling solution. It will cost a little more than 2 slot fans. It is worth it though, they do a far superior job. Here is a link to many of them. http://www.xoxide.com/vgacoolers.html . http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-duorb-vga-cooler.html this one in particular gets good reviews, if paired up with some ram sinks.
Related resources
December 7, 2007 3:55:43 PM

After market cooling solutions void the warranty/step up, that's why I am not considering them. Two slot fans moving 30+ CFM each, and the GPU fan ramped up via Riva, should be more than enough. Yes, Zorg, it is a 4pin Molex. I only asked because I don't actually have the computer or the components in front of me. I'm doing the research, and when I go visit the family over X-mas I'm going to hook everything up for him.

How many of those 4pin connections does a power supply typically have?
December 7, 2007 4:06:53 PM

Quote:
How many of those 4pin connections does a power supply typically have?
That differs from each PSU. I'd say a typical PSU will have 4-5 connectors that leach off 1-2 rails (w/ fans you can usually daisychain off a single molex).
December 7, 2007 5:40:59 PM

As rgeist554 said it varies. Often the fans will have a male on one end of the Molex and a female on the other end so you won't loose a Molex in the process. You will have to check the fans to see if they do.
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 7, 2007 5:47:27 PM

jjblanche said:
After market cooling solutions void the warranty/step up

EVGA is the only card manufacturer I know of that has a Step Up program and thier warranty is not voided by modding the card as long as you keep the original cooler to put back on in case you have to RMA.
December 7, 2007 5:55:32 PM

I think XFX covers that in their US warranty as well. I could be mistaken though.
December 7, 2007 6:37:56 PM

I haven't seen any others with a step up program, beside EVGA. I know EVGA covers that in the warranty.
Is this an OEM machine? it would really change what can be done with the plugs.
December 7, 2007 6:41:22 PM

I meant that XFX covers modding and OC'ing, but I should have been more specific.
December 7, 2007 6:44:37 PM

I took that the right way. I was saying that EVGA is the only one that I know of as well. I understood that you only meant OC'ing and modding (exception of volt modding).
December 7, 2007 6:49:40 PM

Ah, ok. :p 

Quote:
Is this an OEM machine? it would really change what can be done with the plugs.

I think - can't be 100% sure - he ordered the 8800GT separately. I thought I saw him mention ordering two 8800GT's in another thread... not sure what brand though.
December 7, 2007 6:58:35 PM

I ask because some of the OEM power supplies don't have too many, if any open molex connectors.
December 8, 2007 7:48:58 PM

F34R1355 said:
I ask because some of the OEM power supplies don't have too many, if any open molex connectors.
That's no accident, most OEM PSUs don't have much power to go around.
December 9, 2007 4:21:52 AM

That is why I brought this up. If he doesn't have the power to run the card properly, then there would be no need for the fans. I would think that he has already found this out though.
December 9, 2007 5:35:14 AM

He definitely needs to check his PSU. Oh, he will figure it out sooner or later. :lol: 
December 10, 2007 2:46:10 AM

The PSU is 750 watts. It's a falcon northwest fragbox. I'm not sure exactly the brand they use, but it shouldn't be a cheap one. This is for my brother, so I don't actually have the comp in front of me to investigate.

Needless to say, I picked up a few 1x4pin to 2x4 pin extensions, just incase. I'll run these coolings and up the fan via Riva, and if that's still not enough I'll investigate an aftermarket cooler. I'm not interested in OCing the card or anything like that.
December 10, 2007 5:41:21 PM

Well then you certainly won't have a power problem. Like I said, those Molex connectors on the fans probably are a pass through, so you shouldn't need any extra splitters. Also, a 750W should have enough Molex connectors anyway.
December 11, 2007 10:59:36 AM

Been a while since I have seen a Falcon. Alright, there shouldn't be a problem. Not cheap stuff.
!