Lapping an OCZ Vendetta or Xigmatek (HDT)

Patton

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Has anyone tried to lap an OCZ Vendetta, Xigmatek, or another cooler that uses Heatpipe Direct Touch. The base of my Vendetta is not very flat and doesn't make great contact with the CPU, and I was thinking of trying to lap it. However I am worried about possibly damaging the cooler or cracking the wall of a heatpipe.

Has anyone had luck lapping one of these coolers, or is there too high a risk the cooler could be damaged.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/p...cz_vendetta_cpu_cooler

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I would say that you will be fine, when lapping, your goal isnt to remove too much metal, its just to remove enough to where the surface is flat.

Although I havent personally lapped one, I am sure it can be done. I am sure there is an "amount" of "extra" metal on the contact area. Though the heat pipes channel in oddly. So why not?

I am sure you can judge just how much metal you are removing from it? And if an area isnt flat, all you wanna do is file it so that its flat like the rest of the heat sinks' contact area. You are not trying to file down the entire area.

--Lupi!

xXxSlaYerxXx

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
I just did my Xigmatek while ago with the same instructions stickied graysky did with a Thermalright. I checked the flatness with an edge of a razor blade across the 3 heatpipes and it was little uneven. I ended up using 1 sheet of 9"x11" 800 grit wet or dry sandpaper cut in 3 strips for evening it out and 2 strips out of the 9"x11" 1000grit for the finish. Got me -2c so far and hopefully more when the artic silver 5 sets up.