Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Change name on login screen

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 29, 2010 12:40:14 AM

I was given a Laptop and am tired of having to change the name that comes up on the login screen (previous owner) to my name; So all I will have to do is type the pass code. Can someone plz inform me how to change the names??

More about : change login screen

a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2010 12:48:22 AM

What os are you using
m
0
l
April 29, 2010 1:02:16 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
What os are you using

Windows xp pro.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2010 1:19:51 AM

You can change your login screen name, as well as password, picture, account type, and .NET passport options though the Control Panel. To do this:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel > User Accounts
2. Click the account, and then click 'Change my name
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2010 1:22:20 AM

If it helps vote best answer!
m
0
l
April 30, 2010 3:38:20 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
If it helps vote best answer!

Have tried that and it doesn't work.
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
April 30, 2010 3:50:27 AM

That should work if you have administrator rights. You could try using the default admin account to make the change.
m
0
l
May 8, 2010 3:37:11 PM

aford10 said:
That should work if you have administrator rights. You could try using the default admin account to make the change.

Have tried that as well, and that didn't work either. could my problem be that I tried to install Windows 7 (I found out that it was not compatable with my dell and went to microsoft web sight and followed their instructions on removing Windows 7 from my system. [I still have windows 7 files in my system!])
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2010 7:52:49 PM

When you say it doesn't work, are you getting some kind of error?

What kind of windows 7 files are still on there?? Normally, you would format the drive before reinstalling the other OS.
m
0
l
May 15, 2010 9:20:16 PM

aford10 said:
When you say it doesn't work, are you getting some kind of error?

What kind of windows 7 files are still on there?? Normally, you would format the drive before reinstalling the other OS.

no error shown....but it still doesn't show my login name.

Wndows 7 files shows: "program files, programdata, users and windows."
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2010 9:44:03 PM

If you've got stray fragments from windows 7, you can delete them. That shouldn't affect your user name though.

You could backup your data, and do a fresh install.
m
0
l
May 18, 2010 1:02:31 AM

aford10 said:
If you've got stray fragments from windows 7, you can delete them. That shouldn't affect your user name though.

You could backup your data, and do a fresh install.

Well there's only one problem with that...I have the install Disk but don't have the Key for it.
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2010 4:38:28 AM

The link didn't help?

It'd be cheaper to get a new copy of windows than to buy a new laptop.
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
May 19, 2010 9:38:44 AM

Rattpack39 said:
looks like I may have to buy a new laptop.



Go into the Registry and from the Edit menu, choose Find and enter the name of that login. When it finds it, change it to your own chosen name and hit Function 3 to FindNext. Keep searching and amending until you've got them all.

If this works, forget Best Answer - I don't collect them - just send the price of a new laptop to a charity of your choice. :D 

m
0
l
June 11, 2010 5:38:10 AM

Saga Lout said:

Go into the Registry and from the Edit menu, choose Find and enter the name of that login. When it finds it, change it to your own chosen name and hit Function 3 to FindNext. Keep searching and amending until you've got them all.

If this works, forget Best Answer - I don't collect them - just send the price of a new laptop to a charity of your choice. :D 

Sorry haven,t been on here for a while...Tried what you wrote and that didn't work. Some files would not allow me to change them! : (
m
0
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
June 11, 2010 1:45:19 PM

Rattpack39 said:
Sorry haven,t been on here for a while...Tried what you wrote and that didn't work. Some files would not allow me to change them! : (


If you know the name and password hit the Windows key and R together and type cmd in the box then hit Enter. At the Command Prompt, type net user administrator then leave a space and type the username then another space followed by the password and hit Enter.

After the message - unless it's a negative one - type net user administrator active:yes and hit Enter. Restart and the login screen will include Administrator. Go in under that account and make the Registry changes and they should stick.


m
0
l
June 13, 2010 2:22:46 PM

Saga Lout said:
If you know the name and password hit the Windows key and R together and type cmd in the box then hit Enter. At the Command Prompt, type net user administrator then leave a space and type the username then another space followed by the password and hit Enter.

After the message - unless it's a negative one - type net user administrator active:yes and hit Enter. Restart and the login screen will include Administrator. Go in under that account and make the Registry changes and they should stick.


Thanks....will try that out and get back with you.
m
0
l
!