Closed

Commute time too long, Simcity 4 Rush Hour

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 28, 2005 2:56:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Ahoy all again,

Now my city is looking good. I'm starting to get close to 80000 people and
it's growing reasonably well.

I'm getting a BIG issue with commute time. In a lot of places, I have tonnes
of bus stops, lots of excellent train service, several ferry terminals, and
handy access to a motorway for just about everyone (all avenues connect to a
motorway at some point). But, most of the places I'm finding are getting
abandoned due to "Long" commute times, which is a major pain.

I remember a while ago there was a MOD file you could download to fix this
problem. I did so, and immediately my avenues became completely congested,
to the point where they were useless. There was another one I found a few
years ago, but that was before I had Rush Hour.

I did find the "Network Addon" mod on www.simtropolis.com, but upon
unzipping that, there are LOTS of mods in there. Which one do I install to
simply fix the long commute time, and just have my Sims commute with ease?
They seem to be rather pathetic when it comes to using public transport too,
and if something is more than a few squares away, they simply won't use it,
which is plain annoying and totally unfair...

Anyone got any suggestions? Am I on the right track with the Network Addon
mod?

Thanks,

Jason.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:56:09 PM

Jason wrote:
> I'm getting a BIG issue with commute time. In a lot of places, I have
> tonnes of bus stops, lots of excellent train service, several ferry
> terminals, and handy access to a motorway for just about everyone
> (all avenues connect to a motorway at some point). But, most of the
> places I'm finding are getting abandoned due to "Long" commute times,
> which is a major pain. They seem to be rather pathetic when it comes to
> using public transport too, and if something is more than a few
> squares away, they simply won't use it, which is plain annoying and
> totally unfair...

I have one city of about that population and I have a bus stop in the same
corner of every block, no motorways, and only a few avenues and there is no
congestion, maybe you should try doing that, I also plan to start doing the
same with subways in maybe 20 years.

> Anyone got any suggestions? Am I on the right track with the Network
> Addon mod?

Wouldn't know as I've never downloaded anything for SC4.
March 28, 2005 4:58:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Hi , I've been playing SimCity for a couple of years .. and all these
problems used to happen to me .. but now well I have a city (medium large
land) with 230,000 people , No employment problems .. commut time around 50
, all educated , all healthy , with everyother services available .. and
there's no traffic problems whatsoever also I never used and never will use
any mods or patches other than the official ones.

P.S. Yes I have Rush Hour !! :-p
Also this city is nearly 25% empty

So my point is it all depend on planning and mass transit.

"Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> Jason wrote:
>> I'm getting a BIG issue with commute time. In a lot of places, I have
>> tonnes of bus stops, lots of excellent train service, several ferry
>> terminals, and handy access to a motorway for just about everyone
>> (all avenues connect to a motorway at some point). But, most of the
>> places I'm finding are getting abandoned due to "Long" commute times,
>> which is a major pain. They seem to be rather pathetic when it comes to
>> using public transport too, and if something is more than a few
>> squares away, they simply won't use it, which is plain annoying and
>> totally unfair...
>
> I have one city of about that population and I have a bus stop in the same
> corner of every block, no motorways, and only a few avenues and there is
> no congestion, maybe you should try doing that, I also plan to start doing
> the same with subways in maybe 20 years.
>
>> Anyone got any suggestions? Am I on the right track with the Network
>> Addon mod?
>
> Wouldn't know as I've never downloaded anything for SC4.

Related resources
March 29, 2005 4:49:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

My city is built around a harbour however, so only using avenues isn't
really practical. All blocks have at least one bus stop on them, and most
have several.

Anyways, any idea which MOD would be the correct one to use to fix the
commute time? I believe this is a bug with the program (or so I read
somewhere?)

"Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> Jason wrote:
> > I'm getting a BIG issue with commute time. In a lot of places, I have
> > tonnes of bus stops, lots of excellent train service, several ferry
> > terminals, and handy access to a motorway for just about everyone
> > (all avenues connect to a motorway at some point). But, most of the
> > places I'm finding are getting abandoned due to "Long" commute times,
> > which is a major pain. They seem to be rather pathetic when it comes to
> > using public transport too, and if something is more than a few
> > squares away, they simply won't use it, which is plain annoying and
> > totally unfair...
>
> I have one city of about that population and I have a bus stop in the same
> corner of every block, no motorways, and only a few avenues and there is
no
> congestion, maybe you should try doing that, I also plan to start doing
the
> same with subways in maybe 20 years.
>
> > Anyone got any suggestions? Am I on the right track with the Network
> > Addon mod?
>
> Wouldn't know as I've never downloaded anything for SC4.

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 10:35:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:56:08 +1200, Jason put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>Ahoy all again,
>
>Now my city is looking good. I'm starting to get close to 80000 people and
>it's growing reasonably well.
>
>I'm getting a BIG issue with commute time. In a lot of places, I have tonnes
>of bus stops, lots of excellent train service, several ferry terminals, and
>handy access to a motorway for just about everyone (all avenues connect to a
>motorway at some point). But, most of the places I'm finding are getting
>abandoned due to "Long" commute times, which is a major pain.

You need subways or elevated rail. Sims prefer them to buses, and will
use them over longer distances. For really long commutes, you can't
beat monorails.

Mark
--
http://photos.markshouse.net - see my world!
"I wanna spend all your money"

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Okay, I'll try that, thanks Mark...but that doesn't solve the problem of the
long commute times really...I *know* there's been a solution to this posted
in the past, but I can't find it anywhere :(

"Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:56:08 +1200, Jason put finger to keyboard and
> typed:
>
> >Ahoy all again,
> >
> >Now my city is looking good. I'm starting to get close to 80000 people
and
> >it's growing reasonably well.
> >
> >I'm getting a BIG issue with commute time. In a lot of places, I have
tonnes
> >of bus stops, lots of excellent train service, several ferry terminals,
and
> >handy access to a motorway for just about everyone (all avenues connect
to a
> >motorway at some point). But, most of the places I'm finding are getting
> >abandoned due to "Long" commute times, which is a major pain.
>
> You need subways or elevated rail. Sims prefer them to buses, and will
> use them over longer distances. For really long commutes, you can't
> beat monorails.
>
> Mark
> --
> http://photos.markshouse.net - see my world!
> "I wanna spend all your money"
March 31, 2005 4:26:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

In fact I just found an old thread where you posted in it yourself
Mark...there's apparently a MOD to fix the commute time algorithim, which we
talked about in this thread:

http://www.gamesreviews.net/archive680-2004-10-108408.h...

Having downloaded and unzipped said MOD, there are LOTS Of files in there.
Which one is the correct one?

Cheers,

Jason.

"Jason" <theedge@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:p pH2e.14220$1S4.1474001@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Okay, I'll try that, thanks Mark...but that doesn't solve the problem of
the
> long commute times really...I *know* there's been a solution to this
posted
> in the past, but I can't find it anywhere :(
>

> "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:56:08 +1200, Jason put finger to keyboard and
> > typed:
> >
> > >Ahoy all again,
> > >
> > >Now my city is looking good. I'm starting to get close to 80000 people
> and
> > >it's growing reasonably well.
> > >
> > >I'm getting a BIG issue with commute time. In a lot of places, I have
> tonnes
> > >of bus stops, lots of excellent train service, several ferry terminals,
> and
> > >handy access to a motorway for just about everyone (all avenues connect
> to a
> > >motorway at some point). But, most of the places I'm finding are
getting
> > >abandoned due to "Long" commute times, which is a major pain.
> >
> > You need subways or elevated rail. Sims prefer them to buses, and will
> > use them over longer distances. For really long commutes, you can't
> > beat monorails.
> >
> > Mark
> > --
> > http://photos.markshouse.net - see my world!
> > "I wanna spend all your money"

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:34:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

the network addon mod is great.

> In fact I just found an old thread where you posted in it yourself
> Mark...there's apparently a MOD to fix the commute time algorithim, which
> we
> talked about in this thread:
>
> http://www.gamesreviews.net/archive680-2004-10-108408.h...
>
> Having downloaded and unzipped said MOD, there are LOTS Of files in there.
> Which one is the correct one?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason.
>
> "Jason" <theedge@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> news:p pH2e.14220$1S4.1474001@news.xtra.co.nz...
>> Okay, I'll try that, thanks Mark...but that doesn't solve the problem of
> the
>> long commute times really...I *know* there's been a solution to this
> posted
>> in the past, but I can't find it anywhere :(
>>

>> "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:56:08 +1200, Jason put finger to keyboard and
>> > typed:

>> and

>> tonnes
>> and
>> to a
> getting
>> >
>> > You need subways or elevated rail. Sims prefer them to buses, and will
>> > use them over longer distances. For really long commutes, you can't
>> > beat monorails.
>> >
>> > Mark
>> > --
>> > http://photos.markshouse.net - see my world!
>> > "I wanna spend all your money"

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 12:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

"Jason" <theedge@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:p pH2e.14220$1S4.1474001@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Okay, I'll try that, thanks Mark...but that doesn't solve the problem of
> the
> long commute times really...I *know* there's been a solution to this
> posted
> in the past, but I can't find it anywhere :(

In SC4 the rich don't like to ride the bus. They will ride the subway. You
may also need some parking garages next to bus stops and subway connections
which can be next to each other so they can use the same parking garage. You
might try a park or somethibg next to some of the abandoned buildings.
Avenues can vastly speed up transit time if properly used. I've never even
tried to build an innerstate.

> "Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:56:08 +1200, Jason put finger to keyboard and
>> typed:
>>
>> >Ahoy all again,
>> >
>> >Now my city is looking good. I'm starting to get close to 80000 people
> and
>> >it's growing reasonably well.
>> >
>> >I'm getting a BIG issue with commute time. In a lot of places, I have
> tonnes
>> >of bus stops, lots of excellent train service, several ferry terminals,
> and
>> >handy access to a motorway for just about everyone (all avenues connect
> to a
>> >motorway at some point). But, most of the places I'm finding are getting
>> >abandoned due to "Long" commute times, which is a major pain.
>>
>> You need subways or elevated rail. Sims prefer them to buses, and will
>> use them over longer distances. For really long commutes, you can't
>> beat monorails.
>>
>> Mark
>> --
>> http://photos.markshouse.net - see my world!
>> "I wanna spend all your money"

December 25, 2008 3:07:52 PM

I have a lot of problems with commute time. I found out later that it was because I had to many rich sims. So if your taxes are too low for R$$$ sims you might want to raise them. And also. I build long rectangular sections of residential zoning and surround them with commercial zoning and all of the services they need. It really shortens commute time and puts every sim in a prime location.

January 8, 2009 2:14:31 AM

yay for 4 year old thread being revived
January 5, 2010 9:23:22 PM

6 month bump lol, useful thread though.
May 31, 2010 9:15:01 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!