Something positive about... AMD

Lets leave aside the AMD bad news for a while, we all know them, its reposted too many times to able to overlook :D

I'm surprised some dont know anything positive about AMD, how come? There is always a shade of light even in the darkest night, and its not that bad for AMD IMO.

Lets get to the facts, if you do know more - post as well. Negative comments belongs to other threads about each possible such subject, please dont make it flamefest :)

* 790 chipset is good.
1) Solid board, full featured. Chipset uses little power.
2) THE enthuasiasts dream of tweaking, Overdrive is the best tools on the market.
3) Quad GPUs (4 PCIe 2.0), the only solution so far.
4) 3 versions, covering all segments, which IMO is better approach than Intels planned three different sockets for diff. segments in the next gen platform.
...(just if there would be something high-end to put in ;)

* 3800 series.
1) Offers very high value. Its ~15% slower than 8800GT, and ~15% cheaper, offering same amazing performance/price. Too bad high demand distors pricing for both cards.
2) Very silent!
3) Very low power
4) Even much bigger volume ships than 8800GT cannot satisfy the demand, cards are sold out very fast.
5) Good crossfire results, bringing it on par to 8800GT SLI.

* Proffesional cards based on new core, much better price/performance currently than Quadro.

* Barce core is finaly launched. Start is very bumpy but as soon as bugs are ironed out and core tweaked, we will have nice low-mid end quads. Barce has much higher demand than supply, and probably as soon as Q1-Q2 2008 cpu division (especially server side) should start regaining ground IMO.

Disclamer: I do have Intel rig (Q6600, Asus P5K Deluxe) and loving it. What I dont love is too much AMD bashing, sometimes deserved, sometime just because some have personal issues with the company :sarcastic: AMD isnt some evil company, nor is Intel. Lets hope AMD will recover for our sake, we dont need a la Microsoft in the cpu market...
19 answers Last reply
More about something positive about
  1. The 790 chipset is good, let down slightly by an outdated Southbridge (SB600). They really should have moved straight to SB700, apparently that is coming in Rev 2.0 Spider boards. Fingers crossed.

Overdrive, does it include anything that can't already be tweaked currently at BIOS level? Besides, Phenom is hardly the 'overclockers choice' at this point in time, and probably never will be, even with B3. Would overdrive entice an overclocker to choose a low headroom Phenom over a high headroom C2Q? I honestly doubt it.

Quad GPUs seems more like a waste of resources (as well as power!) to me unless I see benches proving otherwise. 4 cards sharing 512MB of VRAM buffer, that's going to cause some serious bottlenecking at high resolutions IMO. However, I'm keeping an open mind at this point, patiently waiting for benches. It's interesting one of the most touted features of Spider has yet to be benchmarked... is CF-X even working with current drivers? I somehow doubt it, otherwise enthusiast sites would be all over it already.

I'd agree that the 3800 series is indeed a breath of fresh air for AMD, they have a product capable of competing directly with the 8800GT. Kudos to AMD (or perhaps ATI engineers would be more appropriate) they bounced back well after the 2900XT disaster. I wouldn't call the 3800 series 'very low power' (unless you compare it to a 2900XT or 8800Ultra ;) ), under load the card draws over 100W, in fact it still pulls more power than a 8800GT under load, but less at idle due to clocking down the core/memory in 2D mode. The 8800GT keeps the clocks the same under 2D, which I always thought was a stupid idea. I personally have a 8800GTS 320 and I downclock it via ATITool (yes it works with nVidia cards too :P) for desktop use.
  2. The whole spider platform is not bad but its not full x16 PCIe 2.0. 2 are x16 and the other 2 are x8. So I doubt it will increase performance really until there is full 4 x16 slots.

AMD just basically ripped Overdrive from ATI and its tha same as what Asus offers on their boards with their OC'ing software. It allows you to OC while in Windows and no restart. I used Asus utility on my old P4 and had it set to load the profile when started so my P4EE 3.4GHz would run at 3.7GHz. So Overdrive is nice I just feel like ATI gets no credit where credit is due. Same with the chipset since ATI had CFX planned for both Intel and AMD before AMD bought them.

Right now there is no reason to go with a spider platform a the benefits are outweighed by the lack of performance and OC'ing ability of Phenom.

I think the reason the R600 series doesn't perform up to spec is due to the lack of good drivers. I think the drivers don't take advantage of the full 512bit bus and memory bandwidth as it should.

Nor just a side note, the reason Microsoft has the most market for OS is compatability. I don't see them as a monopoly as people have a choice. But look at it this way: if there were 4 OS's with 25% market it would mean more work for the software companies and higher prices for software since they would have to make a different version for each OS where as right now all software manufactuers can just make mainly Windows based software. Its easier to conform to one standard. Just like why all CPUs are basically x86 based still. But I do doubt Intel would become a monopoly. I think they will stay at 70% marketshare unless they mess up very big. I mean Phenom big.
  3. So basically ATI is the only thing going good for them. I wonder if these products were developed before they were taken over? I guess Hector hasn't had a chance to screw them up to.
  4. No Hector hasn't full screwed ATI up. But it has brought ATI down from what they used to be. They used to be on par if not better than NVidia. I think its because at the last minute ATI had to rearrange everything for AMD only such as chipsets and then redevelop the chipset drivers so they lost focus on their main goal and that was developing the drivers for the GPUs to take advantage of the power of the R600.
  5. Yeah but atm AMD has more vices then graces...this is why most people point the vices out, there's tons.

I was reading about a patch released by AMD today. It decreased performance by 20%...
  6. Evilonigiri said:
    Yeah but atm AMD has more vices then graces...this is why most people point the vices out, there's tons.

I was reading about a patch released by AMD today. It decreased performance by 20%...

I disagree with your statement. They don't have more vices than graces. The few problems just overshadow anything good because they're so huge. I do believe that when the B3 revision comes out with no more TLB ass-hattery and the SB700 southbridge gets paired up with the 790FC, AMD will start to see a little daylight in that cloudy sky hovering above them. New GPU's will be out around that time too so 2008 should prove to be a good year. Also their 45nm process will probably save them in 2008 as well so they can stick around to show us what Bulldozer and Fusion can do.

I have to reiterate what the original poster said. GOD FORBID Intel be left with no competition to become another M$. You suckers already have to pay $1200 for their top of the line processors. If I drop $1200 on something then it will be a Tomei 2-way clutch type LSD or some TEIN coilovers for my 240sx, not a damn CPU. The ways things are looking I think I'll be pimping my 3.0Ghz OC'd Opteron 185 until 2009 because I'm nowhere close to being able to afford something worth upgrading to (it does under 100watts@3.0ghz :sol: )
  7. wingless I agree that once they remove the TLB errata they may get better but the southbridge wont change much in terms of performance.

Only one thing in your statement I disagree with. If AMD tries going SOI 45nm it will not save them but destroy them. SOI has reached its limits at 65nm and they need something else to take its place such as what Intel has used on its 45nms(Hafnium). But even if they get to 45nm, Intel is releasing Nehalem in November of 08 which will incorporate a more efficient version of their Hafnium process and switch to 32nm in 09.

I like AMDs persistance but they need to clean up their act. Don't talk what you cannot prove and don't hold "in house" only testing. That just shows you are talking talk and not walking walk.
  8. Indeed. AMD does have a fantastic product with the 38x0 and the 790 chipset. But their processor issue is enormous. It's been delayed quite a bit, and now hit with numerous bugs. The one upside to a B3 stepping would be to allow the 2.6 ghz phenom to be released, that is stated for a March release along with the B3 stepping. But even with the B3 stepping...The performance will be the same, unfortunately for AMD, their Barcelona architecture is slightly behind Core...Keep in mind I'm not talking about patched bios performance (15-20% drop), I'm speaking in regards to unpatched. The stepping won't increase performance, just fix the TLB error, ability to clock higher, and hopefully lower the power/thermal issues.

I don't want to go back to the netburst discussion since it gets some AMD fans riled up. But it will be a similar scenario once AMD get's their clock speed higher. The only reason intel made money (besides the monopolistic activities), was due to Netbursts high clock speeds which made up for the lack of it's architecture. K8 was definitely a superior architecture, but thankfully for intel, their processors could clock extremely high to shorten the gap as much as they could. It wasn't better for gaming or anything, but it at least let them compete. But the one advantage netburst still had, was in the encoding/video editing department (single core era, x2 changed all that)

Right now AMD is in worse shape when you consider it. They are taking a large amount of heat due to the SOI process and their current stepping (more over the SOI process, pretty much at its limit on 65nm), plus they can't get high clocks to make up for the slightly behind performance compared to core. With a new stepping, it will obviously help. The higher the clocks they can get, the shorter the gap will become, and the more they will be able to compete and place some higher price tagged processors into the market.

But honestly, If AMD runs into any more delays, they are in BIG trouble. The Nehalem performance boost is gonna be MASSIVE...AMD needs to make some profit to fund more R&D quickly. Who knows, Intel might even release Nehalem slightly early, since they've been ahead of the roadmap by a bit for the past while. Penryn isn't much of a threat in terms of performance (around a 3-6 percent boost to core), but Nehalem will be a killer..AMD needs to make profit and fast. Keep in mind, when nehalem gets released, it'll mean a dropping of price on the core architecture, this will in turn force AMD to drop the x2 prices even lower. Good for consumers, but who knows how small the profit turnaround will become.

Fortunately, there 38x0 series is selling like hot cakes IMO. They also planned ahead and created a LOT more stock than Nvidia did with their 8800 GT, glad to see it too. IMO Crossfire scales a lot better than SLI as well. Also, considering Crossfire works on intel based chipsets is a BIG plus, I'm going to be building 2 rigs around February/March, one, my main workstation rig a penryn quad and a Nvidia 9800. The other, a penryn dual core with two CF'ed 3870's for a 1080p 40+ TV set. Looking forward to both ^_^.
  9. @Epsilon84, yes 2nd refresh of 790 with SB700 should be nice, lets see if they'll live to expectation.

Overdrive has more features than anything else on the market, but Phenom is definately not the overclockers dream cpu ;)

Quad GPUs is extreme but isnt a waste (at least not more than 1+k$ cpu :)), as long as the drivers are good, and thats where real test will be. R700 will be multi-core (rumoured 4+ for the high-end), so quad gpu is really important test grounds to prepare for the next gen.

@qurious69ss, yes ATI is pretty much the only good thing nicely improving (not really great yet), but Hector wasnt responsible for the crappy R600, it was ATI mess up and AMD bought it with such baggage. Merger affected ATI both ways - slowed down new gpu development, scrapped Intel chipset, etc. On the other hand, without AMD, ATI couldnt had such fast switch to 65nm, and few months later 55nm. Probably chipsets wount be such priority either.
  10. I'll add something positive for/about AMD. Today I ordered a 5000+ BE from newegg @ 129.00 and a HD3850 @ 179.00 and a asus MB with a 790FX chipset from MWAVE @ 229.00 and they gave me a $10 discount. Now this system will not be the fastest in the world. But outside of benchmarks will I notice. Anyway AMD/ATI is offering a good bang for the buck.
  11. plus the 6000 keeps my feet warm at night
  12. Buy
  13. AMD :)
  14. ryanthesav said:
    AMD :)

Could you post whore some more tonight? It'd be great.. 3 threads now like this.
  15. topper743 said:
    I'll add something positive for/about AMD. Today I ordered a 5000+ BE from newegg @ 129.00 and a HD3850 @ 179.00 and a asus MB with a 790FX chipset from MWAVE @ 229.00 and they gave me a $10 discount. Now this system will not be the fastest in the world. But outside of benchmarks will I notice. Anyway AMD/ATI is offering a good bang for the buck.

How is that a positive? Apart from the fact that you are doing your little bit to help AMD, of course. ;)
  16. wingless said:
    I disagree with your statement. They don't have more vices than graces. The few problems just overshadow anything good because they're so huge. I do believe that when the B3 revision comes out with no more TLB ass-hattery and the SB700 southbridge gets paired up with the 790FC, AMD will start to see a little daylight in that cloudy sky hovering above them. New GPU's will be out around that time too so 2008 should prove to be a good year. Also their 45nm process will probably save them in 2008 as well so they can stick around to show us what Bulldozer and Fusion can do.

I have to reiterate what the original poster said. GOD FORBID Intel be left with no competition to become another M$. You suckers already have to pay $1200 for their top of the line processors. If I drop $1200 on something then it will be a Tomei 2-way clutch type LSD or some TEIN coilovers for my 240sx, not a damn CPU. The ways things are looking I think I'll be pimping my 3.0Ghz OC'd Opteron 185 until 2009 because I'm nowhere close to being able to afford something worth upgrading to (it does under 100watts@3.0ghz :sol: )

Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant currently AMD has more vices than graces. I totally agree with the potential of AMD becoming great, it's just that right now they suck. There's no way around it.
  17. topper743 said:
    I'll add something positive for/about AMD. Today I ordered a 5000+ BE from newegg @ 129.00 and a HD3850 @ 179.00 and a asus MB with a 790FX chipset from MWAVE @ 229.00 and they gave me a $10 discount. Now this system will not be the fastest in the world. But outside of benchmarks will I notice. Anyway AMD/ATI is offering a good bang for the buck.

That isn't very positive...after all, a E2180 overclocked can destroy every line of AMD X2 cpus overclocked or not. The HD3850 is a good midrange card though.
  18. epsilon84 said:
    The 790 chipset is good, let down slightly by an outdated Southbridge (SB600). They really should have moved straight to SB700...

It is already on the DFI MB!
    The DFI board "only" has three GFX slots...who cares I only use one GFX card as it is.
  19. "I'll be pimping my 3.0Ghz OC'd Opteron 185 until 2009"
    All of my Optron 146's are running @ 2.950Ghz with G.Skill ram and everything still on stock volts.
    DFI,PC Power&Cooling and skt 969 FTW.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD