CPU Scaling with 3850

mthomp71

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Long time reader 1st post. I have 12 pcs in basement for gaming. Various configs half AMD half Intel and I have everything from 8800 gt sli to mine first 7800gt, X2 5200 to core 2 6600 with one remaining pentium D 3.4 .....the system is buy latest hand down to next machine. I have to laugh sometimes at answers I see here because a lot of opinions w/o actually doing it, with this setup I have done most combos and seen it all. Now the question...I just got 2 3850s so I try one in the pentium D because there was a 1950 pro already in it. Boy these 3850 really can overclock great, something like 770 core and mem 1100...wow. But no increase in performance only in this pentium D machine barely breaking 10000 in 3dmark 05 overclocked or stock as in any of the others thats a 2000 plus increase in score/performance. any remarks other then time for the pentium D to go....

F34R1355

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
It would seem to be processor related. How exactly are you over clocking them? Have you used any other tools?
What you are saying is not exactly clear. The objective in posting is to be to a point. You have at least 4. Although I think you are simply asking "Why so I not see a performance gain in a Pentium D 3.4 when overclocking a 3850, using 3DMark05 to test?", then you are saying "My other systems see a 2000+ point increase in score, from standard to Overclocked."
Using more words is not better. Quality > Quantity always, unless your Dell.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Pentium D is terrible. I have tried this my self as well, and anytime I see someone wanting to buy a PD 8xx or 9xx, I do my best to see that they do not purchase it. It shouldn't even be considered in the dual-core range of CPU's. The outdated netburst arhcitecture, along with some design flaws, ensure that you'll never see a great performance increase from going from a mid-range card to SLI or Xfire - or even a high-end card. As you have seen first hand, the performance gain is MINIMAL. There is was seriously like a 5 FPS difference from my 7900GS to an 8800GTS 640MB OC'ed. Swapped in an Athalon X2 5000+ the next day and shot up to almost twice the FPS that my old PD gave me.

In short - DO NOT BUY A NEW GRAPHICS CARD WITH A PD 8xx or 9xx CHIP. You will be sadly disappointed by the results.

On another note - I'm surprised you even managed to hit 10k with that thing.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Yeah it's definitely your processor. I'm hitting almost that much on 3Dmark 05 with my 7900GS. Of course my processor is a e6300 @3.2Ghz in a 1:1 sync

mthomp71

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
This is the lowest system in my setup and looking to be efficient as to where I put the new cards.....testing later today but it looks like the 1950 pro is the best mate over the 3850 at the resolution I'm using 1440x900

Got to say, Especially this part of your post " I have to laugh sometimes at answers I see here because a lot of opinions w/o actually doing it, with this setup I have done most combos and seen it all."
Are you trying to be funny or what. So you have been there seen it all and done it all yet you come to us bunch of chancers who havent done half as much as you for advice on how to squeeze a few more FPS out of what you must know is a badlly CPU bottlenecked system :lol:
Really i hardly feel qualified to answer :kaola:
Mactronix

Could it be....wait....maybe that Pentium D?????

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
This is the lowest system in my setup and looking to be efficient as to where I put the new cards.....testing later today but it looks like the 1950 pro is the best mate over the 3850 at the resolution I'm using 1440x900
Ok, let me try to explain this. You have a 5 gallon bucket, ok? This bucket has a 1 inch hole in the bottom (this will represent your CPU). You put 2 gallons of water (this is your rendered frames) in into your bucket. Let's say it took 1 minute for all that water to leave the bucket... The bucket drains 2 gallons of water every minute (the actual frames per second). So if you put 5 gallons of water (rendered frames) in the bucket... it's still going to only drain at 2 gallons / minute. This is exactly what's happening with your system. Now what will happen if you put 100 gallons of water in that same bucket?

mthomp71

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Not slamming this forum or anyone in it just a observation perhaps better not said. The post was something I found odd that there seems to be wall with the pentium D as I most always seen increase in performance as mhz in video card goes up

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Normally you would, but you've hit a wall with the PD. Just toss those Xfire 3850's into a faster C2D system.

*edit* np :D I had to figure out a way to understand it my self a while back.