Sign in with
Your question

Help!! SBM 1 Setup, OS Install Issues with new build!

Last response: in Systems
November 30, 2007 10:01:36 PM

Hi there.
My uncle and I were really impressed with the system toms hardware put together for the SBM. We especially liked SBM 1 because it was right in the price range. So he decided to buy one and I am currently helping him put it together.

We went with:
Processor: Conroe E6750
Motherboard: Asus P5K-E Wifi Model
Ram: Wintec Ampo DDR2 PC2-6400 - 4GB
PSU: FSP Group FX700-GLN ATX12V V2.2/EPS12V 700W
DVD Drives: Sony NEC Optiarc 7170 SATA x 2
Case: Raidmax Smilodon
Hard Drives:
1) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
2)Western Digital Raptor WD360ADFD 36GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

We did add the Raptor, upgraded the PSU doubled up the memory and got another dvd drive. Other than that its the same.
Connecting the components were very easy and installing the components was a breeze with the Raidmax Smilodon. However we have run into a problem. While trying to install vista it takes about 30seconds to 2 minutes between loads. Then when it gets to the hard drive area it cannot detect them, i've tried loading drivers from the cd but no luck. I think there is a problem with the BIOS settings and that I am overlooking something with the SATA connections because i haven't had a whole lot of experience with them. Is there any way you can get me the bios settings you guys had for your build? Also, is it possible to have the Raptor as the system install hard drive because its faster RPM, while using the 320 gb hard drive as a capture hard drive for videos/movies/pictures/storage etc.
Were stumped and your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time,
Taylor
November 30, 2007 10:15:31 PM

In the BIOS check all the drive settings making sure that SATA is enabled and RAID disabled if you're not running RAID. Also make sure that the Raptor is the first boot devise unless you have a Floppy then make the second. The mobo manual should have a section on the BIOS
November 30, 2007 10:24:32 PM

The hard drives/dvd drives are all through the sata ports. SATA section in bios has 3 settings, IDE/RAID/AHCI. I read the book front to back and asus books just describe, dont really help lol. I'll change the boot order and double check on everything else. ty for the help but any more insight would be helpful :) 
Related resources
November 30, 2007 10:30:44 PM

Are you installing Vista64? This will be needed to access all 4GB.

Vista has a known problem with more than 3GB of memory. You must install it with 2GB, install the patch, reboot, shutdown, install rest of ram.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us
November 30, 2007 10:38:38 PM

wintchman said:
The hard drives/dvd drives are all through the sata ports. SATA section in bios has 3 settings, IDE/RAID/AHCI. I read the book front to back and asus books just describe, dont really help lol. I'll change the boot order and double check on everything else. ty for the help but any more insight would be helpful :) 

If you can chose, I'd start with AHCI
November 30, 2007 10:58:45 PM

yea we are using vista 32 bit. Does it still have the same problem with the ram? That could explain why it is taking forever to load. Im tying AHCI as well now and it installed fine on the big hard drive with it. I just want to use the raptor as the main drive though. Maybe i'll have some luck here in a minute.
December 1, 2007 1:30:13 PM

wintchman said:
yea we are using vista 32 bit. Does it still have the same problem with the ram? That could explain why it is taking forever to load. Im tying AHCI as well now and it installed fine on the big hard drive with it. I just want to use the raptor as the main drive though. Maybe i'll have some luck here in a minute.

Based on the information provided by the link (microsoft), yes.

I would recommand you to install the Vista 64bits. It is what I have and working really great with 4GB. I even reduced the swap file to 512MB. No more swapping. When I quit a big game (BF2142) I have instant access to Windows instead of waiting until the swap is reloaded in memory.

The RAM's price is really cheap now and all Windows always loved RAM.

Please note this fix might be necessary but I don't think it is related to your initial problem.
!