COD 4 doesn't go higher than normal for some settings on 8800 GTS SLI?

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Is anyone else experiencing the following difficulties? I am running the game maxed out both antialising and everything high 1280x1024 res at constant 60 Frames per sec. The problem I saw was that I cant select anything higher than normal on the following settings:

-Model
-Water
-Dynamic lighting

I don't understand why...or if thats the max for any1. (which doesn't seem logical)

anyways thnx!

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I think all those options only have low and normal. I think that is just how it is, but who knows maybe higher options are available in Vista a la Crysis.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah i called em they said there is no high setting lol which is really weird....they said that normal means the way it is supposed 2 loook:S anyways thnx for the answers:)

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I can't believe nobody cought it, your frame buffer 320MB of Vram is too low for high settings. Now people are starting to see what I've been saying all along, that 512MB of Vram is the lowest you should go if you like high quality settings. Just because you have two cards with 320MB doesn't mean you have 640MB effective, your still stuck with a low frame buffer. Low frame buffer = limitations in storing large high quality textures. I don't know why everyone thinks that you can store large textures in a small frame buffer.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

If the game detects under 512MB of Vram it will not show you the higher setting so you don't ruin your graphics card trying to use something your card can't handle. I can access the higher graphics settings in COD 4 because I have a 768MB frame buffer. And it don't matter how small your monitor is. Don't confuse texture resolution with screen resolution.

When I first started playing Graw 1 (using a 256MB 7800GTX) I noticed that there was only low/medium settings for "Texture Quality", later after I bought my 8800GTX I now see "High Texture Quality" as a selection.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
did I say anything about me having 2 cards it equals 640 ram? NO! so don't put words in my mouth. COD 4 still runs at normal on my friends computer...he has the GTX so what can u say 2 that? nothing. I called the customer support number and they said that it has no high quality...

quake 4 recommends 512 RAM on Ultra high I run it at blazing frame rates....and I only have 320...this high RAM is BS its mostly for higher resolutions which isn't an issue for me since I have a 17 inch monitor running at the native resolution of 1280X1024 :) THANK YOU

https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activision.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=19505&p_created=1194545308&p_sid=qD-gDdSi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzIxLDMyMSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9bm9ybWFs&p_li=&p_topview=1

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

If you calm down and look at my post again I never said anything about you saying having two cards equals 640MB, now did I? If you were to try and play GRAW 1 or 2 (not saying you did) even with a 17" monitor with under 512MB of Vram you still are unable to select "high Q textures", not to be confused with high resolution. That was all I was trying to say. :)

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
remember this ? "I can access the higher graphics settings in COD 4 because I have a 768MB frame buffer. And it don't matter how small your monitor is. Don't confuse texture resolution with screen resolution."

there is a way 2 enable it directly from the ini file from what my friend has told me:)

Even with the high Q textures on the game still doesn't look better than COD 4 and Gears of war lol so I don't really care if I can't access em :)
I'm am Calm btw I just don't like ppl putting words in my mouth. The way you said it...you assumed i was trying to make the cards equal 640 MB RAM ...i'm not dumb u kno I know that much about cards. The only thing about SLI is the dual GPU.

Either way I just wanted 2 point out that u said you have high settings in COD 4...which is not true because activision themselves posted on their Answers section that it can't go past normal :)

For:
water
model and Dynamic lighting

go 2 the website and see

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

First your right about COD 4 I was wrong, but I never put any words in your mouth. It wasn't the way I said it, it was the way you took it. If I were to say to a group of people a simple phrase, those people would interpret it in many different ways. Some might be offended and some would agree with it or... Sorry if I didn't make myself more clearer. :) Cheers