Your question
Solved

How to speed up internet in VM

Tags:
  • Internet Applications
  • Apps
Last response: in Social Networking
January 18, 2013 10:00:00 AM

I run Windows XP mode using Virtual PC and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS using VirtualBox.

I know that virtual machines are not as fast as the host machine, but i'd like to know, how do I speed up the internet connection within the virtual machine? Would I have the allow the VM program through windows firewall, or change some settings in the VM?

Thanks.

More about : speed internet

Best solution

January 18, 2013 6:54:22 PM

A VM has access to practically the same Internet speed as the host PC; no more of a slowdown than going through a typical router.
January 19, 2013 5:32:34 AM

I'd miss out the "practically". The Internet connection itself if by far the slowest part of the equation.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2013 3:37:48 AM

So the same internet settings would apply in the host machine and the VM?
m
l
January 22, 2013 3:46:16 PM

How much disk space and how much ram do you have dedicated to the VM? Remember windows will still create a swap file within the VM. Perhaps you have too little ram dedicated to the VM so it's thrashing the VM's page file.
m
l
January 22, 2013 9:29:10 PM

Ijack said:
I'd miss out the "practically". The Internet connection itself if by far the slowest part of the equation.

Very true.
m
l
January 22, 2013 9:50:56 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
How much disk space and how much ram do you have dedicated to the VM? Remember windows will still create a swap file within the VM. Perhaps you have too little ram dedicated to the VM so it's thrashing the VM's page file.

I will try changing that and see. But I'm not sure how that would affect the download or upload speed within the VM.
m
l
January 23, 2013 11:22:28 AM

The Stealthinator said:
I will try changing that and see. But I'm not sure how that would affect the download or upload speed within the VM.

If you have other programs running in the VM that are using up ram and causing the pagefile to thrash, it will effect the speed that the download can get written to disk, thus slowing the download. It's proabably a long shot, but worth investigating... unless I misunderstood and you mean web pages are slow downloading. If this is the case, the amount of ram would probably be much less of an issue if any.
m
l
February 23, 2013 6:16:20 AM

Best answer selected by The Stealthinator.
m
l