Help with new build

royalepain

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Currently I'm working on putting together a pc for up to $2000 before monitor and operating system

my intentions for the system are for a gaming focused pc that won't be outdated by the time I put it together.

I've been kind of using the mid-cost overclocking challenge article as a guide, I like the processor, memory, and so on but I;m still unsure as to what graphics card, motherboard and hard drive to get. I want something that I will be able to upgrade easily in the future, and I feel my major conserns are with the mother board. any advise on the matter would be great.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
ok royalepain (I like the name). Welcome to the forums. This is a very common question and many people here will be happy to give you their opinions but it would be better to know what article you are using for the guide or Better yet, post what you have already decided on and the remaining budget and someone will help you out

do not cheap out on the PSU

edenruro

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Some questions:

When do you plan to build the PC (hollidays or next year)?

What resolution will you be playing at?

Are you planig to OC?

Now this is a quick posible list

CPU: e6750 or q6600 (if you wait the pernryn will be out i think :??:

VGA:8800gt or revamped 8800gts (some rumors that in Feb 8 Nvidia will realese the 9000series

Mobo:Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Memory: 2x2 gb kit (corsair or G.skill)

hope it helps

royalepain

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
sorry for my lack of detail in my question, I'll try and give some more specifics.

I plan on building the pc after the holiday hopefully because prices will go down a bit

the article I was using for reference was
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/18/sbm_mid_cost_system/

and yes I'm planing on overclocking

As for resolution I don't plan on anything fancy, I have a 21inch 1440x900 monitor, and I'd be fine working with less, as long as I can see and shoot in the game I'm happy

CPU- planning on using q6600
videocard- nVidea 8800 GTX (Will it be outdated by febuary by the 9 series)
mem-1-2gb notsure on brand
powersupply- AeroCool Zerodba 620W(not sure if thats enough power)
as for hard drives and motherboards I'm still unsure.
for the motherboard I want something that can be upgraded in the future, such as addition of additional graphics card.
as for the case I'm also open to suggestions.

edenruro

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Video card: outdated doesn't mean it will go down in price, maybe just a little bit but for example the 7900GTX were selling at 450 even though the 8800GTX double the frame rates for 75 more so wait until the new 8800gts are realesed

PSU: 620w is enough but AeroCool is not the best brand, i personaly will look into PC power and cooling or corsair

motherboard: depends if you want SLI or not
SLI: nvidia 680i
No SLI:Intel p35

Case: Airflow: antec 900 (3 120mm and a large 200mm) or cm690
Silence: antec p182 or CM cosmos

Memory: I like Corsair and G skill, crucial ballitix is popular also, there is not a big diference between all those kits as long as you get 2gb 800mhz 4-4-4-12 you are OK

hope it helps

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
since you will be gaming on a 1440x900 monitor, u dont need a very expensive video card. ATI 3850 will be enough to game at high settings.

royalepain

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I'm planning on getting a new monitor some time in the future, as for SLI I would like to have that option, so at some point I could have the benefit of dual graphics cards.