Changing location of the data folders in SC4

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

By default, SC4 uses a folder within 'My Documents' to store in-game
data such as saved games, regions, plugins, etc. Does anyone know if
there's a way to change this to use a folder location of my choice?

The reason I want to move it is that this computer has two hard drives
in it, one of which ("C:") is 20Gb and contains all the "important"
stuff such as email, work-related data, etc, and the other ("D:") is
40Gb and is used for recreational stuff like games, music and images.
The second disk has plenty of spare capacity (at the moment), while
the first is almost full. And part of the reason it's almost full is
all the SC4 stuff in My Documents, which is physically located on the
primary drive.

What I want to do, therefore, is tell SC4 to use a data folder on the
D drive instead of My Documents, so that it can take advantage of all
that spare space and leave the C drive alone.

Is there any way to do this? If so, how...?

Mark
--
http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, lyrics and ringtones!
"Would you save my soul, tonight?"

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

I had instructions for doing this - you can change the location of the My
Documents folder but you have to update the registry too in order for your
programmes to recognise the change in location. Sod it where did I put the
instructions ....

Oh this maybe - I tried sending it as an attachment without thinking just
now - anyway, here's the text..

Best wishes
Maxon

Moving My Documents The Right Way

Your My Documents folder can be moved to another drive/partition, but you
cannot just cut and paste it. If you do it the
proper way the system recognises the new association and makes registry
changes that enable programs/games to also recognise
the move:

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder

To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these
steps:

Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
Click the Target tab.
In the Target box, do one of the following:
.. Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK.
e.g. D:\My Stuff.
If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed.
Click Yes to create
the folder, and then click OK.
-or-
.. Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then
click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for
the folder, and then click OK twice.
In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new
location, or click No to leave your documents
in the original location.
By "Loverat"

"Mark Goodge" <usenet@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk> wrote in message
> By default, SC4 uses a folder within 'My Documents' to store in-game
> data such as saved games, regions, plugins, etc. Does anyone know if
> there's a way to change this to use a folder location of my choice?
>
> The reason I want to move it is that this computer has two hard drives
> in it, one of which ("C:") is 20Gb and contains all the "important"
> stuff such as email, work-related data, etc, and the other ("D:") is
> 40Gb and is used for recreational stuff like games, music and images.
> The second disk has plenty of spare capacity (at the moment), while
> the first is almost full. And part of the reason it's almost full is
> all the SC4 stuff in My Documents, which is physically located on the
> primary drive.
>
> What I want to do, therefore, is tell SC4 to use a data folder on the
> D drive instead of My Documents, so that it can take advantage of all
> that spare space and leave the C drive alone.
>
> Is there any way to do this? If so, how...?
>
> Mark
> --
> http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, lyrics and ringtones!
> "Would you save my soul, tonight?"

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:43:01 GMT, Maxon put finger to keyboard and
typed:

>I had instructions for doing this - you can change the location of the My
>Documents folder but you have to update the registry too in order for your
>programmes to recognise the change in location.

I don't want to change the location of My Documents. I'm happy for
that to stay where it is, and be used for what I use it for - storing
documents!

What I want to do is stop SC4 from using My Documents as the location
of its savegame and plugin data files. Unfortunately, there doesn't
seem to be a registry entry which defines the data location, so I
can't easily change it using Regedit (which is what normally works for
other programs that do similar things).

Mark
--
http://www.FridayFun.net - jokes, lyrics and ringtones!
"And so we're told this is the golden age"

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Well, I've a feeling you can't do that. A lot of games use My Documents to
store game files now which is bloody annoying. My Windows partition (the C:
drive) is the smallest I have. I keep everything else off there so that if
Windows crashes and I have to reformat and reload, I won't loose stuff. It
would make it a lot easier if you could tell the game where to store its
files but it seems you can't. I think the idea is that you can have a game
set up for several different users of the same computer. Which is fine, but
it would be better if we were given the option of putting the files
elsewhere.

Best wishes
Maxon