Annoying Unexpected Shutdowns

skypoetone

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I have an Acer Aspire 6930G laptop and sometimes get an Unexpected Shutdown, followed by Blue Screen, while online - why is this happening?

skypoetone

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Ubrales, I see thanks, so could it be something connected to the site? And is it nothing I should worry about, as my drivers and RAM do not appear to be bad in any way.

skypoetone

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I was aiming to stream the Concert for Bangladesh @ TheConcertForBangladesh.com when the problem occurred. Yeah I have Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security on hand.

I recently attended a seminar on internet security. They made special mention of downloading. Anytime we 'download' anything, we are giving that site permission to download 'content'. It may be good content; it may be malicious content. That is why we need to be sure about the site and the content before downloading.

skypoetone

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I have it that my security system recognizes and blocks any malicious content, but how does one actually know until a window provides that specific information? This may be off topic but I have downloaded various "free" programs that will freeze my pc, only for me to have to re-boot safely in order to uninstall them.

One does not know what is safe and what is malicious! With an "OK" click, spyware can be downloaded, and anti-virus programs will not stop it.

This is true even for legitimate businesses. Example: Recently, I was offered a free program from Bank of America. This program was supposed to enhance online security and was called 'Rapport'. Since it was from Bank of America, I downloaded it.

This 'Rapport' turned out to be a 3rd. party POS and became a real problem! I tried to 'Un-install' it. Guess what? This program cannot be un-installed. Quickly, I used System Restore to restore the system to a date prior to installing Rapport.

The folks at the local branch of Bank of America were not aware of the problems that this Rapport created.

skypoetone

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Yes, System Restore... the Saviour on many occasions. I guess freeware offers should be avoided - sometimes we are slow to learn these things! Thanks for the feedback.

Also, never open emails with attachments even if the emails are from friends, relative, or other known sources. Verify with them first, before opening the attachment (info from seminar).