Recommend a mobo for a non-overclocker

Angrykirill

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Hey, got a mobo question.

I'm planning to build a new rig pretty much from scratch and am reviewing mobos - I am a NON-overclocker, will put new stuff (GF8800 and some Core 2 Duo high-end processor) - will therefore need a new mobo, a friend recommended me the Abit Q9 Pro but it seems a bit expensive and that would be stupid since I won't overclock it anything, the only requirement I have is fairly good onboard sound (no sound card for me) - I only have 2 regular speakers but wouldn't want to get stuck with some crap..

any suggestions?

regards.

Angrykirill

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I'm not here to compare prices. Just want a board with decent onboard sound (I guess most of the boards these days have that), put in an 8800GTS G92 or 8800GT and a Core 2 Duo 6XXX (one of the top models).. 2 gigs of ram at I don't know which clock speed. Thing is, I don't need to overclock and won't upgrade anything significant in a LOOONG time - so I wouldn't want to waste money on something where I won't use a lot of the potential.

AFAI understand it doesn't really matter which mobo you have.. don't get me wrong, I just dont want to end up with some ubermobo when I can get something that works just as well for half the price :)

regards

Angrykirill

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Heh, not much of a price change for the ASUS, gigabyte looks slightly better.

What about the Gigabyte GA-P31-S3G? Too cheap/crappy for my requirements?

Angrykirill

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Is the P5K-SE allright for my needs? Cause it's the cheapest of the P5Ks and since I won't be needing 4 memory channels it seems like the obvious choice..

Its a P31 chipset. The P35 is better and will support the new Penryns.