New Build Won't Power - PLEASE HELP

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Ok, so I'm a noob to new builds. I usually buy barebones systems, that have the psu and mobo already installed. But I thought wtf and I gave this a shot. I plugged in everything, no sata connectors yet, just wanted to see if I was geting power. But nothing. Shouldn't the psu at least give a sign of life when I turn to i/o switch in the back on the machine, regardless of the front power switch? I've tried moving the power switch cable, that runs from the front of the case, thinking maybe its put in wrong, (doesn't show what is positive or negative, wierd)

I'm gonna try unplugging everything and just have the atx and 4pin cpu plugged in.

Here are the specs:

Antec P180
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610
Intel e6750
4x1gb Samsung DDR2-800
Sapphire Ati 850xt
74gb raptor
400gb Seagate

Please help.

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Ok, just plugging in the 4 pin and atx didn't work. I double checked to make sure the power switch was plugged in correctly. Which I know it has to be unless I'm a complete idiot :p (the little arrow means positive right. I'm gonna go and get a PSU tester tomorrow and see if its that. Any other ideas. HELP.

BankHead

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Well... perhaps your missing cpu, ram, and video card??? It won't power up without these. (well you can trick the psu by shorting a pin but really not recommended) If this is not the case then check the 115v-230v switch on back of psu is set correctly(115v). Your psu is most likely fine. The case switch is just off/on, no positive or neg to worry about, just put the arrow as pin 1 if its marked if not don't worry about it. If your system is complete make sure cpu, ram, and video card, installed correctly

ps dont trust me im on crack

djlazlow

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Here's the checklist (according to my experience) of what you need to power on a system:

1.Power supply set to the correct voltage (if switch is available), plugged in and switched on.
2.Front panel power switch connected to the motherboard (refer to your motherboard manual to make sure which are the correct pins, might as well connect H.D.D. led and RESET)
*Personal note: I once couldn't get a rig to power on and what i had to do in the end was switch the front panel power connection, I think I had the negative in the positive pin and vice versa, so I just switched them around and it powered on.
3.CPU correctly placed in socket with thermal junk and properly mounted heatsink (Just in case it does power on ;) )
4. VGA card properly seated ( if you wanna see if there's a successful POST)
5. At least one stick of RAM
6. ATX and CPU power cables properly connected to the mobo.
7. No drives necessary for power up test.
8. Usually, mobos come with jumpers ready for power on, but you might wanna check with your manual that all jumpers are properly placed.
9. ....and FIRE IT UP.

The absolute bare minimum you need to power up a motherboard and get a POST indication (unsuccessful) is:
PSU, motherboard, CPU and HSF, speaker (if not built onto the motherboard, and a way to turn it all on.

If everything is working, you will get an audible indication of a memory failure. When that happens, power down, insert a stick of memory, and power up again. The next audible indication should be for a video failure - usually a repeating one long and three short beep pattern.

Insert video card. Power up and you should get the standard single short beep of a successful POST.

For more details, see:

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Troubleshooting+a+New+Build

The usual problem source is the PSU.

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Have all components in. I tried putting the front power switch pins in different ways, to make sure that wasn't it. Gonna try putting a diff psu in, see if thats it. Then gonna cry, lol. Is there a way to startup a computer without the front power switch?

Thanks again.

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Well, I got it working and then the plug in the SYS Fan 2 starting melting the wire, eh. But then everrything started working so IDK. Gonna see if I can load windows. Do I really need the SYS Fan plugged in or is that only if I wanna control rpm. My case has an external control for speed, so I don't think I really need it.

Thanks for all the advice, taking out all the components and checking one at a time really helped.

- Dave

dave8624

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I just wanna thank you guys again, I was going nuts and the I woulda never thought of testing each component separately
(as simple of an idea as it is, it just never dawned on me :p )

I love this forum, lol, everyone always willing to help.

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Make sure your motherboard aint touching the case metal under it. Did u put the case gold screws on tray before putting motherboard? If not, motherboard is touching metal, and pc wont turn on at all.