Can someone tell me why the 1.87GHz is next to the 2.66Ghz?

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Can someone tell me why the 1.87GHz is next to the 2.66Ghz? What does it mean? Which one is my actual clockspeed?

screenshot.jpg

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Most likely it's just SpeedStep then. It clocks your CPU down during idle. It should jump to rated speed once you run something. Run Prime95 and check CPU-z again. It should show properly then.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Turn it off in BIOS.

Or you can try doing it under the power settings, although I am not sure if that totally disables the SpeedStep action. It should be under Display settings, in the Screen Saver section, in the power section. Change it to Always On.

But I do know you can change it in BIOS, that's for sure.

My Q6600 is supposed to run at 2.4 GHz, but most of the time it sits at 1.6 GHz because of SpeedStep. I don't mind, it's smart to save some electricity and heating when all I do is type junk or watch a movie. It does jump back to 2.4 GHz whenever I do something more serious.

Don't disable SpeedStep, it's useful.

I wish the 8800GTX had something like that :(

Edit: I believe you've got a Q6700 (based on the default 2.67 GHz speed), but Vista was invented before the Q6700 so it has trouble identifying it and it leaves the model name empty. Are you getting updates for Vista from time to time? They should fix it, it's embarrassing.