Sign in with
Your question

How hard is it to set up bios for a first timer?

Last response: in Systems
December 1, 2007 5:04:42 AM

Well I finally got sick of looking at alienware and other expensive gaming rigs knowing people build there own for 2/3 to 1/3 the price. So I buckled down bought a wriststrap and ordered/picked out all my parts from online/local vendors. Now I can put together my PC no problem but the only thing that worries me is the bios. I've never set up a bios before out of fear of messing something up and the computer bursting into flames and summoning a demon. So to anyone experienced with bios setup can you tell me anything to avoid doing so that I don't wreck my computer with a stupid mistake? And as a first time builder how difficult a task am I under taking here?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Also here's my parts list incase someone reccomends anything different.

Q6600 2.4 core 2 Quad
XFX 680i nforce LT motherboard
2 GB Patriot memory pc6400 800 mhz 4-4-4-12
8800 GT EVGA
X3 Ultra 800 watt PSU
320GB seagate 16 MB 7200RPM HD
Ultra Aluminus ATX mid tower
Vista Home Premium

Red is stuff I already bought

More about : hard set bios timer

Anonymous
December 1, 2007 5:49:45 AM

Hey man, i built my first pc about a year ago and i was worried like you as well. The bios scared the crap out of me. I am not an expert with the bios settings or anything, but you can do yourself a favor by reading as much as you can about bios on the net. I got a general feel for it by reading this article http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/09/22/bios_for_beginne....

So when it came time to my build i found that the bios was not hard at all to setup and it almost completely autoconfigures everything for you. I got everything up and running on the first try. Things to watch out for might be making sure you up your ram voltage to the correct specs of the manufacturer as most motherboards will start at 1.8 volts. All in all i think it will be easier than you expect.
December 1, 2007 5:58:55 AM

Thanks for the advice I have been reading all I can find but toms has some really smart people so figured if anyone knew horror stories or helpful tips it would be the people here.
Related resources
!