Constant restart & no video

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Building a new system for my daughter & am having a problem. Gigabyte P35-DS3R. E4400, X1950Pro, Patroit 667. The video card is a known product, was used in my old system. as well as the PS & the hard drives & ram. When I install all the parts, the machine starts, stops, start, stops, start, stops about 4 times for 5 seconds each. No video on the screen at all. Just a black screen. No bios version, no ram check, ect. Can't see anything to get into the bios, have tried. After the 4th time, all the fans, (video, case & cpu) stay on. The hard drives are powered. I have tried all the new parts as well as the old in my system & all works. Any ideas? My mother board is a GA 965P-DS3. The new one listed above. Thanks & Merry Christmas.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
are you sure you have 12 v comming from ps to mother board plugged up also the heatsink on the cpu is it seated good,all push pins pushed down good and locked?

are you useing raid set up?

my system are core 2 duo e6300, ozc 700 ps,xfx 8800 gts 640 ,2x1 gig gskill 800 ram.ga965ds3/s3

you say screen is blank but do you have cursor blinking at top left of screen?when it is blank? :sarcastic:

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Black all the time, when i turn the monitor off, then on, it state no video input signal. There is never a cursor or anything on the screen. The 12v plug is plugged into the mother board, the 6 pin plugged into the video card. I have re-installed the heat sink 3 times. I have tried the new proc & and the old proc in my system. Both work on my board. Both video cards work on my board, both sets of ram work on my board. Both PSU work on my board, both hard drives work on my board. I've tried all my known good parts on the new board, psu, ram, video card, hard drive, dvd burner, cpu & nothing seems to make a difference on the new board. Only 1 sata hard drive is being used on both my system & the new one. No beeps either. Could I just have a bad board? If so, its the first ever for me. The system that I'm trying to build is Gig p35-ds3r, E4400, 1 gig patriot LL 667 ddr 2 1.8 volt, (2 x 512), one 150 raptor, antec neo 480 psu, saphire x1950pro, floppy, plextor px 716a, using on board sound.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
the only else has to be the motherboard,if all those parts work on another mother board it all leads back to that mother board.

I have never had gigabyte board bad but it shore sounds like this one is.

also you are putting the ram in the correct banks ?just a guess.

i'm sure if you haven't had it past 30 days you could exchange it

if you have may have to send to gigabyte,also have you called them.don't know about there help desk.never needed to call them.

you may look at the board to see if any of the caps are puffed up on the top of them,if so it will need to be replaced. hope this helps you roncpem I would check those capasitors they do go bad some times. :bounce:

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Yes, both the 4 pin & the 24 pin are both plugged in. Will check the caps in the morning. Thanks for the help all who responded. Hope all of you had a Merry Christmas & will have a safe & Happy New Year.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
forgot that the caps on those gigabyte board is solid state I've never seen one of does go bad.

best fix for that setup is take mother board back and exchange for another board.

this should have been a easy set up for you.all your other parts work good on other mother board.if still under 30 day warrenty would have them replace it.

lets us know what you did to correct the problem.it's always a learning expereince.good luck.I think your correct about mother board it's sounds like it is bad.

lghtmup98

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007

I had one do the exact same thing. Turned out to be a bad ram stick. You said you tried the new ram in you're other board and it worked, but did you try the old ram in the new board? If the ram from you're other system is a different brand/spec, I'd try it. There my be something about the Patriot set that the new board doesn't like. Imight be worth a try before you go thru the hassle of returning the motherboard.

Good Luck!

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
roncpem I think :bounce: Lghtmup 98 may have hit it on the nail head. try 1 stick in at a time. it could have been 1 ram stick bad. forgot you said no post beep when you booted up.

hope you get it working. lghtmup 98 may have saved you christmas holiday merry christmas and a happy new year :hello:

Muhad

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Make sure all components are seated correctly. Memory in the correct slots and disks strapped correctly. Proper use power supply connectors.

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Tried doing the ram one stick at a time, both the new & old sets, still no change. Will be getting a new board in about a week & will let you know. Thanks again for the help.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
roncpem sorry you couldn't get it to work.hope next board will work fine

what board will replace this one same or different all together.

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006

Not sure, the old one that is working fine is a gig 965p-ds3. might try another gig p35 or maybe an asus p5k-e. gota wait a couple of weeks to get paid again. will be checking the forums to see if any problems with these 2 boards.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
roncpem both of those boards are good board as is the asus,but my choice would be the p35<I have the gig p65p ds3/s3 but probaly will go with p35 in the future.had to much bad luck with the asus p5nsli it was a piece of junk.

the gig 965 is a little older now and your right about doing your home work on the next mobo,you have two weeks to decide on the right board,have read p35 is good board,newegg has one for $99.00 now take a look at it and read the reviews on it,as well as other p35 mother board,make sure your ram,video,cpu and ps,all will work with the new mobo.

also make sure the heatsinks and fans is enough for next board,me I always replace heatsink & fans on all my mother board and video card.as well as case fans.the ones you get with new parts are just not good enough for me.

pc 's now adays need good air flow,and for what you pay for those new part you would think they would put at least a good heat sink and fan on them.but none of them do.you pay all that money to get a good pc running and they slap a $8.00 heatsink and fan on it.go figure,and they all do it.intel asus gig,msi etc.

you've got time to study up on next mobo.(study up on them and you will do just fine).post back when you have it up and running are if you need help,I've found out one good thing about this forum,there are good people willing to help,alway put your spec's on the post,I've learned it helps alot more than you think.

good luck and have a happy new year :bounce:

gaurast

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Hallo,

I see a similar behaviour with the same MB, but on SHUTDOWN-SUSPEND. I.e. system works, fine, but after shutdown, suspend, hybernate.... system appears off for a few seconds, then "wakes" for couple of seconds before going off again. Lights come up and fans spin up for a "whoof" then it goes off again. It never comes to a proper boot or restart, rather aborts well before anything shows on the screen. It cycles like that forever until I switch off the power supply.

Note when I cut the power supply, it attempts one more time and manages to turn on all the lights on the case for 1s - I assume using caps energy stored in the system - before dying.

Other than that, system behaviour and performance is fine. I have a Sapphire 3870 and a dual core 8200 in there, the PC rocks. So I assume components do not have evident physical bugs or damage.

I have contacted Gigabyte and they said it may be the RAM voltage that needs RAISING from the default. I have OCZ "platinum" RAMs in there and BIOS set to "safe" settings. Tried it. Well, there MUST be a correlation, because with higher RAM Voltage I can get the PC to SUCCEED a full autonomous, unwanted restart after shutdown, but going either way I could not get it to stay OFF!

Note I have made sure that all options for autonomous wake-up (PCI, ring, timer) are off in the BIOS.

Next Gigabyte told me to upgrade the BIOS, which I did to the latest (F3 I believe), but it made absolutely no difference.

So I suspect in the end it IS something with my MB+RAM combination, because I can affect that behaviour thru the RAM voltage, but whether its something actually broken, or a bad setting that eventually can be fixed - no clue.

For the rest I like the MB and system performance is cool. Just the fact it wont stay shut is a nuisance, so I wouldnt want to disassemble and rebuild with a new MB if it can be eventually fixed.

What do you guys think?

xrosseyed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
Hey guys, I was having some ram problems before (see other post in this forum) but now I'm having the same problem described here.

Turn on the machine-> Fans spin, Case lights up, no beeps, lasts for 2 seconds and then turns off. 1 second later the machine turns on again (not pushing a button) this time to the sound a beep (single). The all fans/lights come on, I can even hear the HDD start to turn. This lasts maybe 5 seconds before turning off. 1 second later it turns on again. This time just like the first. Very short, no beep. Turns off. 1 second later comes back on with a beep and lasts about 4 seconds. It cycles like this for awhile.

I get the exact same thing whether the memory is in or not.

Oh yeah, EP45-DS3l. It's about 2 days old. Should I just go ahead and return for new one?

GenKhan2

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
For an infinite restart loop I would recommend the following:

1. Turn off the power supply
2. Remove the backup battery
3. Clear CMOS

Put things back the way they were and try booting again. At the very least, this process eliminates improper bios settings as the cause of the failed boots.

xrosseyed

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
I've cleared (or attempted to?) the cmos multiple times already. No change. I've done a jumper, a screwdiver short, and taking the battery out for ~20 minutes.

Didn't seem to change anything.

dwaleke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I had this exact same problem with a 965-DQ6. It was a bad connection between my ram stick and the mobo. I reseated the memory and had the same issue. I swapped dimm 4 with dimm 3 and everything worked after that. I know the RAM is good - just a weird connection to the mobo.

I would have never thought that was the cause.

jimmy328

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Similar problem here with my P35-DQ6. It powers up for about 5 seconds and quits. I worked with Gigabyte technical support and they told me to send it to them. They received it and telling me 2 -3 weeks to repair it. WOW, that’s a long time to be without my primary computer. I have found related problems with these boards on other MB forums.

My board is a Revision 1.0. There is also a Revision 1.1. After mine is repaired, perhaps it goes up a revision; I don’t know. There’s something going on with these boards and I’m searching the net trying to find out what’s up. I’ve asked Gigabyte tech support to explain what is going on. I can’t obtain an answer that makes sense, in addition to a communication barrier. I thought it was cheaper just to send a new board to an inconvenienced customer. Very disappointing from a well-known MB manufacture.

Jim

MB = Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
Proc = Core 2 Duo E6750 with Aquastar Liquid Cooling
Mem = Corsair Dominator 2 GB
Video XFX GeForce 8600GT 256 MB
Drives = Barracuda 7200, 320 GB and WD Caviar 7200 320 MB
Case = Raidmax Smilodon
Power = Raidmax 500 watts

rohitnk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
The same thing happened to me... computer kept restarting and there was no video.. But when I took out the battery and put it back in (for resetting cmos), my computer didn't restart, but I still didn't get any video. I tried a different graphics card, but still no video. But i really think that it has to do with ram too:
I used to have 2x2gig sticks in the ram slots and it booted up fine. But then when I tried to add 2x1 gig sticks to the remaining slots, the colors on the ram thing turned red and I got the same reboot with no video. When I went back to the 2x2 sticks, it worked fine. This happened the day before I started having the problem.
I clocked my graphics card to 3 ghz and ran stress tests on it for 12 hours and it worked fine. Then, when I went to bios and changed the clock timing of my ram to what was written in the description of the ram, and increased voltage to it by +.2V, this is when I started getting the constant reboots.. I guess the only thing I can really do is RMA

eckosof

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
i had same problem, replaced with asus pq5 pro, problem solved good luck, this is a known problem with no solution with gigabyte boards.

Gorilladave

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Folks,
First time posting, was surprised to learn others had similar problems with GA-P35-DQ6. Have a GE8800 GTX, 4 Gig RAM @ 800MHz, GE8800 constantly causing crashes despite frequent driver updates but then had a crash and, upon restart, fans power up, drives start coming on line and it autorestarts, no video whatsoever, no beeps. Replaced power supply, everything worked fine for a month. Had another GE8800 related crash same problem returned. Thought power supply failed again, replaced, same problem. All previous problems related to GE8800 so on the outside chance it was a video card problem causing a short to affect other components decide to try replacing video card. Have a ATI all in wonder PCIe and tried that board. No changes. Intend to try the depopulating of the RAM as mentioned in earlier posts. Even with my meager knowledge it seems it has to be power or motherboard related but MB is only 1 year old Bios version is 1.1 from factory with firmware RAID 1 config. Gigabyte has not even answered my mail after a week, thoroughly disgusted. Any other advice greatly appreciated! Dave