Gaming build - need advice

Uncshabob

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Hi guys!

For this build I only require the CPU/motherboard/memory/graphics card/case/PSU/HDD as I have everything else.

I'm planning to get this around Feb:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850/3.00GHz/4MB cache/1333FSB/LGA775 = $325
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard = $125
Western Digital 320 Gb 7200RPM 16 Mb SATA II = $92
Apacer DDR2 2GB PC-6400/800 (2x1GB) CL5 RAM = $49.90
Gigabyte 8800GT 512 MB 320 bits DDR3 PCI-e 16x TV out Dual DVI Port HDTV = $369
Case/PSU = ??

Total = $960.90 AUD

As for the OS, I will be using what I have been using for years now - XP Home SP1. For now I'm staying away from Vista, various benchmark tests have made it look inferior to XP for gaming and running applications. Not to mention poor WoM... the only thing that interests me with Vista is DX10, but is it worth spending an extra $150 odd for it? I may need some convincing, otherwise I'll stick to the tried and true XP.

I am still unsure of what case and PSU to get, what do you recommend? Should I also rely on the stock cooler or get one myself, I hear the GT series can get pretty hot? Is it also worth getting faster memory than 800 MHz? Planning to get this system around February, so the price may change a little bit, but this is the system I aiming for. My budget is/will be $1,500... but I want it as cheap as possible. I am not planning to overclock.

What do you think?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

akhilles

Splendid
I don't understand MS' logic. If they release so many confusing versions of windows to make a killing, might as well release a gaming os for only pc gaming with free updates until the next version. People could dual boot windows & gaming os. Just throw in DX10 & a lightweight interface for installing & running games. Most games can now update itself.

Then again, they would destroy their xbox immediately. Maybe do it after they end the xbox biz.

The 8800GT recommends a 425W & 28A on +12'v psu. Take any brand name psu with 450W or more.

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon

Feb? You know 8800GT will become history by then. 1st, 512MB 8800GTS aka GTX killer will be out this month. The next Geforce series will be out in Q1/08. The E6850 will be old.

Scratch that & wait til Feb.

TRENDING THREADS