Whats everyone using to cool your 3870's?

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I have the stock Sapphire fans installed on mine. But when it comes to overclocking with both set @ 820/1201 these puppies get to a whooping 95C Load. Can't control the fan speed, AtiTool, RivaTuner etc refuse to work via kernal error :cry:

So far i've only found one that would only fit on a single card http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-053-TR&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=416

On the Thermalright website it says it's SLI/Crossfire compatible but Heatsink itself is 38mm then add a 92x25mm fan ontop thats a massive 63mm Depth. I have that space between the two gfx cards however either side of both of them has only 30 maybe 40mm free space before touching either sound card or NB heatsink. Plus the heat would be left in the case not pumped outside like the stock.

Anyone found or using Aftermarket cooling that fits on a single card aswell as a Crossfire setup ;) ?

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I am using stock. I noticed the same heat, 90-95c at load with OCing. I went back to stock clocks. I was wondering the same thing. Stock i am 45c idle, 65c at load.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
@ yadge

Thankyou very much for he link. If it performs even close to that review i'll be over the moon. Looks like thats the one to get :). Maybe another chrimbo prezzie for myself. When they arrive i'll post results on how high you can overclock crossfired 3870's ;). Atm hardlocks after 20 mins heavy Crysis usage at anyhting over system spec...see sig.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
to closed_deal. Does OCing the mem that high really help? I am a supernoob to OCing. How did you get it that high? CCC-ATI Overdrive only goes to 1387.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
@ 50bmg

The mem in overdrive does indeed only get to 1387. However, whatever it says for instance mine is 1201 so you double it to find what it's running at so that is my case 2402 :). (GDDR4 so i guess CCC shows it at GDDR2). I have a pair of Sapphire's which are std 777/2250.

OCing gpu core makes more of a difference if your benching but heats your gfx loads. So as i'm still on stock cooling till the new year (and for some beknown reason can't change the fan speed with any normal oc prog...damn vista 64bit!!!) i'm clocking my memory (<--- less heat produced) more than the core.

If your running a single 3870 d/l RivaTuner and with stock fan at 100% (damn noisey) but you'll be able to max it ie. 862/2700 bites at the heals of a 8800GTX ;). RivaTuner works for me but only clocks one card and doesn't see the other. Crossfire only works as fast as it's slowest card :sweat:.

As for being a supernoob at least your trying to understand your system, thats well over the requirements of being a supernoob, tiz more of mild noobizm ;). It's taken me around just over two years of tinkering and trying to catch up with the technology to get to my novice like state. I tried reading through some of the forums in XtremeSystems and that made me feel like a complete plebian :D.