NAS in a small office issues

Johnnywalker

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Hey guys

Im having some issues with a compact small server/network.

The idea is, to create a small sharing server for our office (3 computers),
and our original thought was that we should use a computer as a server.

But upon looking up NAS cabinets i found this ideal solution, a cabinet and a harddisc.

While it was all fine and dandy, we ran into some troubles.

Our modem and router is positioned down in the basement, so since we share the building
we dont feel confident leaving the NAS server down there, we want it up here.

The issue was we couldnt set another router up in here, i tried loads of things turning everything
off and turning it just into a switch, but no go, there was no internet connection available.

So as you can see this is the problem, which i have no idea how to solve, i thoguth at one point
that using the usb cables instead of lan cables would cut it, but as i found out you can have only
one USB cable hooked to the computer/server at a time, i mean yes you can buy a usb switch but this doesnt help.

Does anyone have any ideas how i am going to go about this problem, any help is welcome, thanks!

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Sounds like the network cable you're using for the NAS isn't plugged into the same network as the computers (lots of guessing here based off your issue description).

Should be wired like so: cable modem - firewall/router - switch/hub - your 3 computers AND the nas. (this means 4 network drops going upstairs)

If there's no more cable drops going upstairs, put another switch/hub upstairs and plug the nas and 1 of your 3 computers into it so that all devices can see each other.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
As mford66215 said for the wiring, though you only need one drop to the basement, everything would just plug into the switch upstairs.

Make sure the switch is set to pickup the local network address, either by using DHCP, or by manually configuring an acceptable address. If there is a conflict, or it picks an address outside of your subnet then there will likely be an issue (i.e. your router is configured as 10.168.X.X and the switch is configures as 10.192.X.X).

I assume the router is serving up DHCP?

I would do the following:
1. Pick a known good ethernet cable running downstairs (i.e. one that a desktop is currently using).
2. Hook up the switch to the cable, then hook the desktop to the switch. At this point you should have a network connection.
3a. If you do not have a network access there is an issue with the switch setting, verify all network settings. Resuming testing from step 2.
3b. Assuming you do have a network access, plug-in the NAS device and test access, if you do not have access there is an issue with the NAS network settings, correct settings.
4. If you cannot get this to work consider returing the router and buying a 'dumb' switch (by dumb I mean unmanaged, pretty much anything cheap) to replace the router and see if that fixes things.