Sign in with
Your question

Heatsink fan for Core 2 Quad Q6600

Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2007 10:18:50 PM

Hello,

I am building a pc for the 1st time and I don't get how to pick a heatsink fan. I bought a Cooler Master X Dream P775 (95mm, Spead: 2200 RPM, Air Flow: 34.69 CFM).
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
I don't know if it is good enough.

Here is a list of parts that I have so far:

• Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 ghz OEM
  • 4 Gigs of ddr2 ram, 4 sticks of 1 gig each
  • XFX nForce 680i LT SLI motherboard
  • PCI Express x16 graphics card
  • one sata harddrive, 450 gigs (plan to get more)
  • one dvd dl drive (plan to get another)
  • 2 12mm fans, and 2 8mm fans in case
  • 500 watt power supply

I will be using my pc for video editing, web design, and the occasional game. I don't really get what overclocking is and so don't plan on doing it. Will my heatsink fan do?

P.S. Any computer building tips will be happily accepted.

Thanks
    December 8, 2007 11:23:40 PM

Almost every aftermarket HSF is better or at least equal to the one Intel bundle with their CPU. But to answer your question : some reviews suggest it's not really quiet but the Cooler Master X Dream P775 will do the job.

I personally suggest you to get an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro if you don't want to spend a lot on a good HSF.

P.S. You don't list any case : will you be using an old one or you simply forgot/didn't choose one yet ?
    Related resources
    December 9, 2007 12:18:48 AM

I got the PNY 4 1bg of RAM on black friday for $90. I figure its a pretty good deal.
    December 9, 2007 1:17:31 AM

It's about average price (considering Corsair XMS and Crucial Ballistix are on rebate for $45-55 all the time) and fine for stock/mild overclocking...not the best RAM for the money when higher overclocking is taken into consideration.

The thing is though, the 2x2gb would have left you 2 RAM slots for if/when you go 64-bit (as 32-bit versions of XP and Vista only support about 3gb). 64-bit operating systems can handle 8gb, or maybe 16gb+ (can't remember).

Another thing is that it's easier to overlock 2 sticks instead of 4 AND your Q6600 would probably overclock to 3.0ghz pretty easily for a big jump in video encoding performance since most editing/encoding apps are multi-threaded for use in multi-core/processor workstations.
    December 9, 2007 1:46:53 AM

I don't really know how overclocking works or is set in place. I only heard about it for the first when I started researching about pc parts.
    Is overclocking something I should seriously consider doing and where do I read about how its done (probably on the forum)?
    Also if I do overclock, what do I need to take in mind regarding other components?
    December 9, 2007 1:56:40 AM

A quad can easily be overclocked to 3.0GHz and I don't know about the xfx n680i motherboard but the evga n680i motherboard is pretty decent for overclocking. You basically overclock by raising the FSB since the multipliers are locked. You should also definitely read the pinned guide at the overclocking section it'll really help.
    December 9, 2007 2:09:42 AM

I really have no idea. What does FSB stand for and what are multipliers. Are these things I'd have to do while building the computer or could I go back in later?
    December 9, 2007 2:11:26 AM

dodian said:
    A quad can easily be overclocked to 3.0GHz and I don't know about the xfx n680i motherboard but the evga n680i motherboard is pretty decent for overclocking. You basically overclock by raising the FSB since the multipliers are locked. You should also definitely read the pinned guide at the overclocking section it'll really help.

You make it sound so incredibly easy and there's never a problem. Q6600s have tons of problems on 680i Chipsets. It's not an easy chipset to OC on.

For that matter, to the OP:

FSB = Front Side Bus

If you want explanations you should read the guide in the overclocking section, it's pretty basic.
    December 9, 2007 2:43:07 AM

Well I get now that I should exchange my RAM but am still not sure about the heatsink.
    I checked out the first suggestion and it's stats looked the same but it did say it was very quit.
    December 9, 2007 2:49:16 AM

verbality said:
    Well I get now that I should exchange my RAM but am still not sure about the heatsink.
    I checked out the first suggestion and it's stats looked the same but it did say it was very quit.

If you want to overclock, or it sounds like you might have fun with it.. I would suggest a minimum of a Tuniq Tower 120. Then again, an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 would work as well.

Personally I used a Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme. I've used several fans, but a Scythe Slip Stream works fine.
    December 9, 2007 5:40:30 AM

If you want to learn tons on overclocking, refer to the guide in the overclocking section. Basically it's written with a newb in mind :) 
    December 9, 2007 4:29:22 PM

New Problem:

My motherboard has a 24-pin pwr1 slot and the plug from the power supply is only a 20-pin.
    Also my motherboard has a 8-pin pwr2 slot and all I see from the power supply is a 4-pin and a 6-pin plug.
    Can I just stick those in anyway or do I need to go get a new power supply?

Thanks
    Anonymous
    a b à CPUs
    December 15, 2008 9:08:53 AM

Your Case is very important, I Recommend a Full Tower kitted out with a few 120mm fans and maybe a large exhaust fan For Plenty of room and airflow, Reading the review http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8757&page=1 the best fan for a socket 775 is probably the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX, for its leading temp, great price and quick installation. I also think it looks sweet. Alot of people dislike Thermaltake for its history of cheap design and impracticality. But it is very different these days and i have fallen in love with it, after purchasing a Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W (just to hold up into the future).
    And that reminds me i recommend a larger power supply considering you running quad core, this will also allow for expansion in the future as components are getting alot more power hungry (some graphics cards now take 2 extra power slots!). JUST SEEN NEW PROBLEM, yes i recommend a new power supply, again a thermaltake as reviews have shown it to hold up very well, maybe not a 1000W depending on your budget but definitely above 500W
    December 15, 2008 9:23:05 AM

To throw this out there... were you going to re-use an older power supply? The power standards change as often as say video bus standards, and memory pin standards... you gotta watch for that.
    Anonymous
    a b à CPUs
    December 15, 2008 9:24:44 AM

Case
    Your Case is very important, I Recommend a Full Tower kitted out with a few 120mm fans and maybe a large exhaust fan For Plenty of room and airflow.
    CPU Fan
    Reading the review http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=8757&page=1 the best fan for a socket 775 is probably the Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX, for its leading temp, great price and quick installation. I also think it looks sweet. Alot of people dislike Thermaltake for its history of cheap design and impracticality. But it is very different these days and i have fallen in love with it. Also i am going to get me one of these XD
    Power Supply
    I was going to recommend a larger Power Supply considering you are running quad core, this will also allow for expansion in the future as components are getting alot more power hungry (some graphics cards now take 2 extra power slots!). After reading your new problem i still recommend a new power supply, I personally own a Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W, it is fantastic both for me and in reviews. As i do not know your budget, and considering your spec i doubt you need 1KW, but i recommend around a 750W Power Supply to allow for future expansion and so you dont have to replace it as quickly. I'd probably go for a thermaltake but then like i said i have fallen in love with the brand for its awesome products its been releasing lately. ThermalTake Toughpower 750Watt PSU:- http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?tt-w01...
    Anonymous
    a b à CPUs
    December 15, 2008 9:28:27 AM

Sorry about repeat post but i thought i better tidy things up for you adn edit was not working (again here XD)

Hope you find this useful
    !