Q6600 Coretemp Heat Concern

Well i've decided to try to push my Q6600 to 3.6ghz 1.45v, i originally had it sitting at 3.445ghz. I did the original OC a while ago, but i didn't use Coretemp to read the temps, instead i used ntune. Yeah i know ntune is blech, but i didn't know that at the time and the OC was stable.

Now that i've got it clocked at 3.6ghz i decided to try out Coretemp. What surprised me is the difference in temps between my cores. Core 0-1 are running hotter at 57C Idle, and cores 2-3 are running at about 50C Idle. I didn't think too much of it, till i fired up Prime95. The first 2 cores hit 83C in the first minute, while the other 2 barely hit 75C at their peak.

Before i fired up Prime95 i thought the descrepency at idle was due to the windows processes taking utilizing the first 2 cores a bit causing them to be a little hotter. But u'd think with all cores being fully loaded that their temps would be relatively the same.

The opinion i'm looking for is, what could be causing this? Could the weight of my Tuniq Tower be pulling down so the first 2 cores aren't getting as much contact as the last 2 (assuming the first 2 cores are located towards the top of the case)? I'm hoping that someone may have a better idea on what is goin' on here.

Ambient temp is atleast 22C in the room.
35 answers Last reply
More about q6600 coretemp heat concern
  1. Coretemp reports slightly higher temps than actual temperatures.

    However I think your still running too hot.

    Read the temperature guide by Computronix at the top of the overclocking forum. That will give you a better idea of how to calibrate utilities so your not guessing what your temperatures are.

    I don't think the Tuniq is leaning because of it's weight. You might have uneven pressure on the thumb screws however.

    Also what stepping q6600 do you have? A b3 will run dang hot at that vcore and frequency.
  2. Ok that a little comforting to know Coretemp reports things a bit high.

    Yeah, i decided to revert to my 3.45ghz config for the time being. I also tightened up the thumbscrews on the Tuniq and it seems to have helped some.

    Ok i'll check out the Temp guide, ty.

    The stepping is a G0. Had it a been a B3 i would have expected those temps, perhaps hotter even.

    Also for reference, Coretemp (ATM), is showing 50,50,43,44 at idle. That's at 3.45ghz with a 1.4188vCore. nTune shows 46C which looks to be an ave of the four core's temps.

    Edit: Just did a Prime95 test at 3.45ghz 1.4188vCore as additional reference. It's actually goin' atm while writing this. So far Coretemp shows each core at 77,77,69,69 at it's highest i've seen. According to the article i should not pass 65C to stay in the safe range. I'm wondering how on earth i'm gonna achieve that.
  3. Core Temp reports temperatures on the high side, but I don't think even in Core Temp you should be pushing 80c.

    I'm not looking at the guide as I type this, however I believe you might be running too hot still. 77c would make me nervous.

    The deal is... The true tjunction (max core temperature) on intel core 2 is unknown. Intel's thermal specs are for max tcase, which is the sensor between the two dual cores for the heat spreader on the cpu. I know lots of programs say what they think the tjunction is, and it's a guess really.

    highly recommend the temperature guide by computronix. That type of process is the only real way to know your temperatures, as all programs that I know of report them incorrectly untill properly calibrated.
  4. Its not as simple as coretemps reporting your core too high. THe reason it might appear like this is because core temps monitor the actual core, where most other monitoring programs monitor the sensor between all your processors, where there is barely any heat compared to the actual core. For example, imagine two boxes. [ ] [ ]. Core temp monitors the two at their cores, i.e. , whereas the others monitor it here: [ ] * [ ], so you get better measurements for the CPU with coretemps. DOnt sell it off as inacurrate.
  5. It doesn't matter. Those temperatures are far too high no matter how it's reported. I get 57/57/55/55 on coretemp at 3.6ghz, 1.45vcore, full load prime95 with air cooling. 70/70/68/68 at 4ghz.

    Q6600's thermal limit is 71, at which temperature it begins to throttle back.
  6. DarthPiggie said:
    Its not as simple as coretemps reporting your core too high. THe reason it might appear like this is because core temps monitor the actual core, where most other monitoring programs monitor the sensor between all your processors, where there is barely any heat compared to the actual core. For example, imagine two boxes. [ ] [ ]. Core temp monitors the two at their cores, i.e. , whereas the others monitor it here: [ ] * [ ], so you get better measurements for the CPU with coretemps. DOnt sell it off as inacurrate.


    Darth I know the difference between tcase and tjuntion... "Core temp" reports core temperatures to high thats a fact I learned from computronix.

    I'm pretty sure he knows more about this stuff than you and me.
  7. dagger said:
    It doesn't matter. Those temperatures are far too high no matter how it's reported. I get 57/57/55/55 on coretemp at 3.6ghz, 1.45vcore, full load prime95 with air cooling. 70/70/68/68 at 4ghz.

    Q6600's thermal limit is 71, at which temperature it begins to throttle back.


    What you need to understand is... 71c is the max tcase value not tjuntion (core temperature) for your go q6000. It will not throttle at 71c tjuntion(it will be running hot but not throttling hot).
  8. sportsfanboy said:
    What you need to understand is... 71c is the max tcase value not tjuntion (core temperature) for your go q6000. It will not throttle at 71c tjuntion(it will be running hot but not throttling hot).



    The difference is 5 or 6 degrees at most. He hit 83 degrees C within the first minute of prime95. That is not a good sign.
  9. Can someone help me also please :P i didn't want to start a new topic for the same issue :pt1cable:

    i also got a Q6600 G0 and i have a XfX 680i SLI updated to the lastest BIOS and my temps are very high for some reason :cry:

    When i'm on Idle im at like 49C and under full load at about 62 (if i leave it for a couple of hours under prime95), i use the stock fan. I even tried at least 10 times to remove the fan, clean up the fan and cpu with a nice little towel, replaced the thermal paste and its always about the same temperatures.

    I ordered some Arctic Silver 5 to try to lower the temps. i've finally received it, nice, i've managed to lower the temps from 49 to about 45-46(IDLE) and 62 to 56-57(Full Load) but even that is hot in my opinion. :??:

    Also im not sure if this is linked, but i've been trying to overclock a little, i've just wanted to put my CPU from 2.4 to 2.8 so i've read all the guides and stuff that were saying disable this, its a power saving option, disable that, and i can barely boot it at 2.6 Ghz but its not that stable, and 2.8 it just doesn't boot. :ouch:

    like i said i disabled the power saving things, i've set all the voltage options on auto, i've set the memory timings on auto, i've done everything...

    -Anyone has any tips to share please ? or maybe a recommendation for another Heatsink/Fan for my CPU?

    Just to mention, for the aiflow of the case, i've got a Antec Nine Hundred case, and i'm in the basement at around 21C

    *oh and my specs are in my signature see below*

    Thanks for the help :sol:
  10. That's what you should expect from the stock fan. Seriously, the thing is smaller than the stock fan that comes with old P4. It's pathetic.

    Get a new one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019
  11. At this point i'm considering remounting the Tuniq. I'm also using the thermal paste that comes with the Tuniq, is this good enough?

    Also is there any "best" way to mount the HSF and applying the thermal paste?

    I've read a lot of articles and seen some techniques etc. But more opinions/tips are welcome.

    Another thing i'm gonna do is improve airflow in the case. ATM some cords, i think, are restricting things. I'll take a pic if u all like, so you can all add some input.

    update:i mentioned earlier my ambient temp in the room was atleast 22C. This was an estimate, i brought down a clock with a temp feature :) and it says room is 26C. I'm gonna guess +-2C since it's a cheapo thing.

    Coretemp shows me at 52,52,45,47 with the 26C ambient.
  12. lucuis said:
    At this point i'm considering remounting the Tuniq. I'm also using the thermal paste that comes with the Tuniq, is this good enough?

    Also is there any "best" way to mount the HSF and applying the thermal paste?

    I've read a lot of articles and seen some techniques etc. But more opinions/tips are welcome.

    Another thing i'm gonna do is improve airflow in the case. ATM some cords, i think, are restricting things. I'll take a pic if u all like, so you can all add some input.

    update:i mentioned earlier my ambient temp in the room was atleast 22C. This was an estimate, i brought down a clock with a temp feature :) and it says room is 24C. I'm gonna guess +-2C since it's a cheapo thing.

    Remounting won't hurt. Give it a try. The thermal paste matches the AS5, according to Anandtech.

    For me, I like to put a line of paste down on my Q6600, right in the middle. Then I let the heatsink do the spreading. Some people will object to it, but I like it this way since I found out that spreading it with something doesn't fill up all the holes.
  13. One thing i didn't do that i see people doin is cleaning off the old stuff with rubbing alcohol. I just wiped the old stuff off with a piece of paper towel. The stuff i rubbed off was from the stock HSF.

    Should i expect an improvement if i properly clean it off this time around? And how would i go about doin it? Could it be a simple as dampening some paper towel with rubbing alcohol, and gently scrubbing it off? Or is there something else i am missing?

    Wow, just realized that was an onslaught of questions. TY in advance :)
  14. lucuis said:
    One thing i didn't do that i see people doin is cleaning off the old stuff with rubbing alcohol. I just wiped the old stuff off with a piece of paper towel. The stuff i rubbed off was from the old HSF.

    That's not good. Of course you're suppose to completely remove the old paste by using something like rubbing alcohol, using a lint free cloth. This way you make sure there's nothing that can potentially decrease the surface area.
  15. I'm not sure i have a lint free cloth, but i read a coffee filter works too. But i'm not too sure, what you think?
  16. lucuis said:
    I'm not sure i have a lint free cloth, but i read a coffee filter works too. But i'm not too sure, what you think?

    Never tried it. Something lint free would be like 100% cotton.
  17. TY, i found a cloth which is 100% cotton.

    Also i mentioned earlier that i'd post a pic of the inside of the case.



    As you can see i got a nice ratsnest of cords there i'm gonna try clean up. There's a fan in the front of the case which is the intake, it's pretty much blocked by the mess of cords, and the Hardrive is nestled in there too. I could try and move the Hardrive down to the very bottom bay on the edge of the screen there. (provided the cords will reach)

    The bottom disk drive is a dud which i haven't removed yet. I'm thinking i'll remove that and put the working on a section down. Leaving room for a fan to be "rigged" above it to intake are. ATM i think i lack intake of cool, sort of, air.

    Any thoughts or suggestion are greatly appreciated. I want to get this all planned out...like i thought i did orginally, before i start :)
  18. Ok so i went ahead and re-applied the HSF, and so far still at 26C ambient temp, i'm showing 50,50,43,44 occasionally the first two dipping to 49. Last reading before the reapplication wasn't at a complete idle state. I had BitComet running as well as coretemp, AVG, and of course this webpage.

    I have the same stuff running now to be accurate in comparison. So just by reapplyng the HSF and pushing around some cables i seem to have dropping 2-3 degrees. And hopefully once the thermal paste sets in it'll be a degree or two more.

    Also did a quick Prime95 test after bout 5 min when the temp looked as if it wasn't gonna climb anymore, it was reading 74,74,68,68. Still too hot obviously, but it's and improvement. And to anyone that can shed some light, any idea why there's such a huge difference in temps between the cores? I mean it's 6-7 degrees as opposed to dagger's 2 degree variance!

    I have yet to add the additional intake fan which i believe will be crucial in dropping the temp further. ALAS it's too late to pick one up ><
  19. lucuis said:
    Ok so i went ahead and re-applied the HSF, and so far still at 26C ambient temp, i'm showing 50,50,43,44 occasionally the first two dipping to 49. Last reading before the reapplication wasn't at a complete idle state. I had BitComet running as well as coretemp, AVG, and of course this webpage.

    I have the same stuff running now to be accurate in comparison. So just by reapplyng the HSF and pushing around some cables i seem to have dropping 2-3 degrees. And hopefully once the thermal paste sets in it'll be a degree or two more.

    Also did a quick Prime95 test after bout 5 min when the temp looked as if it wasn't gonna climb anymore, it was reading 74,74,68,68. Still too hot obviously, but it's and improvement. And to anyone that can shed some light, any idea why there's such a huge difference in temps between the cores? I mean it's 6-7 degrees as opposed to dagger's 2 degree variance!

    I have yet to add the additional intake fan which i believe will be crucial in dropping the temp further. ALAS it's too late to pick one up ><

    I had a five degree variance right after building the machine, and it dropped to 2 degrees later. Maybe the thermal paste settled in? :p

    I don't see a fan on that large heatsink. Which way is the air blowing? If it's blowing directly at one of the exhaust fans, you should get much cooler temperature.

    It's just strange you get such high temperatures, that cooler is haulking huge! It makes the one I have dinky by comparasion:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011
  20. Hmm hopefully once the paste settles it'll close the gap some. But for now i'm inclined to believe i purchased a G0/B3 hybrid, lol.

    The fan is inside the heatsink. A single 120mm thing with a pretty blue light :) It's blowing directly at the top exhaust fan.

    Also a noob question. Does the Ambient temp affect the idle temp point for point? Meaning if the ambient dropped 2 degrees so would the idle temp? Currently Ambient is at 28C "Idle" is showing 50,50,44,45. Either my clock temp thing sucks, or it's cooling better today then yesterday, seeing as i had the same temps at 26C ambient.

    Anyways if this is true. If your ambient temp is much lower it would have a direct affect. And it would explain partly why mine is higher.

    Here's the after pick.



    As you can see the nest is a little neater, allowing for the airflow from the front intake fan to get through.
  21. Quick question. Which "Torture Test" in Prime95 did you use dagger? I've been using the small FFT one.

    I just tried the Large FFT test and the temps are much lower. After a few min it seems to have halted at 65,65,57,57.

    Blend test shows a peak of 65,65,57,57 but it frequently dips down to 63,63,56,57. Over about 3 min.

    And the Small FFT once again shows and instant jump to 71,71,65,65 and continues up to 74,74,68,68 after about a min.
  22. Small FFT's for stressing CPU.

    Blend test for stressing ram.

    Large FFT's for fun. :P I seriously have no idea really.
  23. lucuis said:
    Quick question. Which "Torture Test" in Prime95 did you use dagger? I've been using the small FFT one.

    I just tried the Large FFT test and the temps are much lower. After a few min it seems to have halted at 65,65,57,57.

    Blend test shows a peak of 65,65,57,57 but it frequently dips down to 63,63,56,57. Over about 3 min.

    And the Small FFT once again shows and instant jump to 71,71,65,65 and continues up to 74,74,68,68 after about a min.

    Those temps are from small fft. I get 2-3 degrees higher on large ffts too. Not sure why they say it's "max heat" for large ffts. Oh well.

    Touch the cooler with your fingers. How warm is it? :p
  24. Small FFT, ambient temp 28C is showing 73,73,66,66 after bout 3 min.

    This is with that damned P182 Spoiler off...it was causing air resistance, also open case.

    The HSF doesn't really seem all that warm to the touch. If anything it was barely warm. About as warm as the air coming out the top of the case.

    Idle was 48,48,40,42 before test, again open case.
  25. I decided to see if i could safely lower my vCore. So far i am looking ~Stable at 1.4v (BIOS)



    I also managed to get the idle temps, before the voltage reduction, to sit at 47,47,39,42 with the case closed. What i did was remove the plastic panel things in front of the drive bays, that were above my cd drive. I'm also leaving the door on the front of the case open. I actually took it off as it was a little annoying anyway, but at the expense of aesthetics.

    I think that's about all i can until i get some additional fans goin, short of putting the case outside in the snow :)

    Anyways i'd like to thank all of those who helped, it's been much appreciated.
  26. Typo, I meant to say temps are lower on large fft.

    Did you try disabling cpu fan speed control in bios? That should keep the fan going at 100% all the time.
  27. I'm pretty sure it's off, but even so the Tuniq's fan has a manual speed dial which i got cranked up to full.

    Also the prime was stable for almost 5.5hrs. [Sat Apr 26 23:18:08 2008] to [Sun Apr 27 04:47:39 2008] on Small FFT. So i'm hoping it's stable enough to run my games without any hiccups.
  28. lucuis said:
    Also the prime was stable for almost 5.5hrs. [Sat Apr 26 23:18:08 2008] to [Sun Apr 27 04:47:39 2008] on Small FFT. So i'm hoping it's stable enough to run my games without any hiccups.

    It will be somewhat stable, however I had issues with my pc, even though it passed Prime for 12hours. I now run it for 24hours.
  29. Hmm, i hope i get lucky. However in the likely case i don't what would you suggest i do?

    CPU 1.4v BIOS
    Memory 2.15v
    FSB 1.4v
    HT(SPP-MCP) 1.2v
    PCI-E 1.4v
    nForce 1.5v
    AUX 1.5v

    If i were to lower the OC some, it's have to be down to atleast 3.35ghz as for some reason no matter what i do it won't boot at 3.4ghz.
  30. lucuis said:
    TY, i found a cloth which is 100% cotton.

    Also i mentioned earlier that i'd post a pic of the inside of the case.

    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/Werak/April2008219.jpg

    As you can see i got a nice ratsnest of cords there i'm gonna try clean up. There's a fan in the front of the case which is the intake, it's pretty much blocked by the mess of cords, and the Hardrive is nestled in there too. I could try and move the Hardrive down to the very bottom bay on the edge of the screen there. (provided the cords will reach)

    The bottom disk drive is a dud which i haven't removed yet. I'm thinking i'll remove that and put the working on a section down. Leaving room for a fan to be "rigged" above it to intake are. ATM i think i lack intake of cool, sort of, air.

    Any thoughts or suggestion are greatly appreciated. I want to get this all planned out...like i thought i did orginally, before i start :)



    Yikes I use that case with 2 x 3870x2's, 2 HDD and 4 Scythe Kaze fans. Even with all that crap in my case it still looks twice as roomy as yours.
  31. Can i request a pic? I'd like to see how you managed your cables etc to get it so roomy.
  32. lucuis said:
    Can i request a pic? I'd like to see how you managed your cables etc to get it so roomy.



    Stuff the extra cables in the 5 inch bays. :na:
  33. Aside from the CD Drive cable they're all too short to be moved much.

    I could move the CD Drive up to the top of the case so i can get that biggest cord managed better.

    PS. to Perp, you linked my "messy" case pic, if you scroll down you'll see the slightly less messy one.
  34. Routing wires...are there any online classes on that? :)

    My case is so messy that no airflow can get through the jumble of wires that's cluttered everywhere.
  35. None that i know of. But i'm sure wikipedia has somethin', it has everything....except any info on Spontaneous Combustion Hot Sauce.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heat Overclocking Product