Sign in with
Your question

Single core / DDR1 / AGP system. Will a new video card extend life?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2007 7:44:30 PM

Hi all,

I've got a system I've been running for about 2.5 years now. On the whole I'm still fairly happy with it, but I just don't meet the requirements for new releases nowadays (at least the higher-profile ones). I'm looking into a new PC, but I'm also wondering if I could push my hardware a little further with a new video card.

Here's what I'm running (the basics - I don't have my exact specs handy):

Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz, single core
2 GB Corsair PC3200 RAM, DDR1
Radeon X800 Pro, AGP, pixel shader 2.0
Windows XP Pro 32-bit

My question is, would upgrading my video card to one of the final AGP releases such as an X1950 (does that even support pixel shader 3?) do much for me in the way of performance? I know I won't be playing Bioshock on high detail with a system like this, I'm just looking for a way to extend the useful life of my system. My goal would be to able to play games like Stalker, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Bioshock, Oblivion, and The Witcher at reasonable detail (1024x768 with no anti-aliasing or bump-mapping at 30fps is reasonable in my opinion). I haven't tried to run those games at all yet; I know they're all system hogs, but I'm not sure just how rough they would be on my hardware.
December 8, 2007 8:13:15 PM

if your PSU can support a newer card and you can find one relatively cheap, then I would say go for it.
If you look at my specs, my system's similar.
I recommend you overclock your processor though, by at least 10%.

Finding X1950's is getting harder in the AGP sector. better jump on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

sold out, sorry..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

nice alternative

other than that..you're a bit stuck.
Only if your PSU can support these monsters, remember. What do you have?
December 8, 2007 8:20:27 PM

I believe it's a 400-watt.
Related resources
December 8, 2007 8:41:59 PM

NightScope's link is a PCIe card ...

The best AGP card on Newegg is the 7600GT, which is comparable to the X800. Better to save your money towards a new system.
December 8, 2007 8:43:54 PM

:hello: 
If it's a 400watt, you may be able to squeeze just enough power out of it to make the upgrade work,

if its a socket 939 upgrade to a X2 dual core for like $50-$70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

It is rumored on tomshardsware that very soon ATi will release the infamous HD3850 for the AGP bus, this will be the most powerful GPU to have ever graced this dying interface.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/03/best_graphics_ca...

it would be a little over $200 but well worth it.

Frozenlead's suggestions are just as good as well, you can buy the x1950pro or even the 2600pro and then sell them as soon as you can secure a HD3850, the power requirement for the HD3850 is much lower than the X1950pro so it might help you keep the PSU as well.
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2007 8:43:55 PM

Cannot really comment on the other games as I don't play them. I did run the Bioshock demo on my E4300/7600gt machine and it ran and looked great at 1024x768. On the graphics settings screen, everything on the right was set to high, and everything on the left was set to "on" except "Windowed mode", "Force Global Lighting", and of course DX10. I ran the machine at stock and overclocked, and it did not seem to make that much difference. I actually run Vista Home basic, but obviously no DX10 with the 7600gt card.

I have never owned the X1950, but the Pro version seems to be the preferred high end AGP card from everything I read. It is certainly benchmarked high above my 7600gt, so I would think your machine would definitely benefit. I also read that it requires a healthy 400-450 watt power supply. It does also support Shader model 3.

Lastly, just as another option to consider would be this:
New MB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $60
E2180 Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $90
PCIe X1950 Pro - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $137 after rebate.

This upgrade would would allow you to reuse the remainder of your old components, and take full advantage of the x1950 pro's power. It would also provide an upgrade path to a higher end processor and DDR2 later.
December 8, 2007 8:51:55 PM

Hi, basically yes your system is absolutly fine - you could spend 1000 on new crap and it would only bench faster at low res's.

Buy a 1950pro 512mb card for approx £120 and unless your psu is realyl weak then an antec true power trio 500w or above will handle anything you have there easily for approx £45.

Bottom line is that the newer systems are faster for multitasking only and unless you like to encode long videos whilst you game then your current cpu is more than enough. I would go with overclocking it though as it will at least get 2.6ghz / 2.8ghz with little to no effort and will hardly increase in temps at all.

To reiterate - the agp systems on the market today with a good gfx card (at least 7600 from nv or the 1650pro from ati, pref 7900/1950) are only slower in terms of throughport and multitasking. ie - things take a few seconds more to load / save and obv single core limits threads.

There is some sense in what most people say about buying a new mobo / cpu / gfx etc but its one of the situations where either a totally new rig is needed or not. Simple desicion really as a new rig to GREATLY outperform what you have (with say a 1950) would cost a lot - lot - lot more than simply gettin a gfx card and poss psu.

Im running a 3.75ghz p4 (northwood) with a 1950pro 512mb agp and ALL games are playing at my monitors 1650x1080 res flat out with absolutly no lag / issues.

Hope that helps - remember the psu is important though as a squeeling psu is being overloaded and will go pop if underpowered.

**just to add Im a veteran oem builder / upgrader etc - not high volume, more boutique, and the more I see of the newer systems comparing to the best of the last its pathetic to think if it werent for std changes (rubbish easy to break sata crap and pci-x to update pci (not intended for gfx originally) we could have slowed hardware needs for a few years)**
December 8, 2007 9:43:01 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. A few things:

1) I don't remember what socket my motherboard uses. As I recall there were two socket versions of the A64 when it came out, and I probably went for the older one, as I didn't have a lot of money to spend. I'll find out what model my motherboard is.

2) Is DDR1 RAM much of a bottleneck? Is it -that- much slower than DDR2 right now?

3) If I were to go for just a new AGP card, would I see much benefit in a 512 meg over a 256 meg? I'm not sure how much video memory games are using nowadays.
December 8, 2007 10:04:33 PM

I had a broken x800 replaced by a x1950pro under guarantee.. Did extend the the graphical part dramatically. Only to make clearly obvious that my barton 3200 was holding me back.. But I guess your athlon 64 will do a lotr better for the time being
December 8, 2007 10:08:04 PM

I think you have a 939 socket, get your motherboard model number and look it up.

Also, DONT get a 512MB video card. Any practical use of 512MB of vRAM will be instantly bottlenecked by almost any AGP system or the card itself. Only sweet souped-up 8800s and $6000 quad core systems shoulds get 512MB of vRAM. Just get 256MB. It's a sweet spot for AGP.
December 9, 2007 1:04:47 AM

Hey mentalepsy,

Just thought I’d throw in my 2 cents, since my system is *very* close to what you have:

Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4 GHz, single core
2 GB Corsair PC 3200 RAM, DDR1
X800 XL (granted, it’s PCIe, so it’s easier to upgrade)
XP Pro
Nothing is over-clocked

I personally run Oblivion... well... too much... and I run it at 16x10 with decent detail and frame rates (if I don’t have too much running in the background...).

I’m looking at an upgrade because it’s Xmas, but if all you’re looking for is something to run new games at the level you mentioned above... you may already have it. I’d say try them on your current setup before you upgrade anything.

Also, I can’t say for sure, but I’d be surprised if your proc was offered as an AM2 option 2.5 yrs ago... I’d bet it’s 939.
December 9, 2007 2:34:10 AM

1. Don't think I'd go less than an X1950 GT or PRO from an X800 PRO. A 7600 GT or 2600 Xt might not be as huge an increase as I'd like to see in an investment.

2. Your system would make a fine home for an X1950 PRO. For sure.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 9, 2007 7:13:57 AM

Upgrade the power supply and get the 1950 pro it will be a real nice match for your system as cleeve has said.
Oblivion will run at 1024x768 nicely with some aa if you want you will even be able to play Crysis at 1024x768 with that low every thing probably but even at those settings it still looks as good as Far cry did on a top rig a couple of years ago.
You def only need 256 mb card

You will not be dissapointed.
Mactronix
December 9, 2007 7:20:30 AM

mike the biochemist said:

I’m looking at an upgrade because it’s Xmas, but if all you’re looking for is something to run new games at the level you mentioned above... you may already have it. I’d say try them on your current setup before you upgrade anything.

Only thing I know for sure is that I cannot run Bioshock, period. It requires pixel shader 3, which I don't have. As for the other games, I haven't tried them (no demos available, at least last time I checked), but I don't meet the recommended or in some cases the minimum requirements, so I've hesitated so far to buy those games at their current prices.

EDIT:
It's an Abit NF8, socket 754.
December 9, 2007 9:50:28 AM

Honestly, I think that you will spend too much money on upgrading your current system. Now may not be a good time for you to do a major upgrade, but before you spend say $200-300 on upgrades to your current rig, check out the $500 gaming rig 2007 edition located http://channel.tomshardware.com/2007/09/12/the_500_gami...

I think that would solve alot of your problems. It would increase performance, give you more upgrade possibilities in the future, and I think is a better use of your hard earned money. You dont have to follow the list exactly, edit the list to your needs and the changing prices. Just a thought.
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2007 10:30:12 AM

Just to clear things up, 512 memory is good to have no matter what your system (ok not low middle on down), as AA and AF are nice to have, and you dont need a killer rig to enjoy the extra ram
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2007 11:38:15 AM

I think if money is a big factor then find the best deal on some of the cards recommended here and look for good deals with, yes I'm saying the dirty word, "rebates". I hate dealing with rebates but at least to some degree you are getting a discount if your responsible and lucky enough to go through the process to get it back.

Months ago I upgraded from a socket 478 3.2G Intel Prescott setup with the ATI X850XT video card with 2G of ram to an AM2 X2 6000+ CPU with the Nvidia 8800GTX ACS3 video card and its a huge performance gain but with a huge punch to the wallet. You can prolong the use of your current system to get you by just fine for a bit longer and it will open the door later for you to get some really good deals on much higher performance parts for when you do make the move to build or upgrade later.

Basically, the longer you wait the happier you will be later when excellent parts are 30% cheaper than they are now due to new hardware releases.

Buy a decent video card and save your money for your dream system later next year...
December 9, 2007 12:22:12 PM

will an agp 8x card work in a pci express x16 slot
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2007 12:29:45 PM

Last I checked the 500w EW is 34A on the 12v rails and the Corsair 450w is 33A? I'm pretty sure about that. So either one would be fine. You can decide. I'd get the PSU and GPU this time and see what you get
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2007 3:09:16 PM

Noya said:
Antec Earthwatts series is kind of weak, and who wants to mess with a $40 rebate on a PSU of that caliber?

$70 shipped:
http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-vx-450w-power-supply/q/...

The earthwatts 500W he linked to is a nice PSU for the price. It's made by Seasonic, is quiet, has a 5 year warranty, and has plenty of 12v power for running any AGP card he could throw at it. I just got one for $35 AR, and it's the 7th one I have bought. To me, the earthwatts 500W is excellent with it's often low AR price. Also a nice bundle with the Sonata III for under $100 at times.

check this review:
http://www.sysopt.com/features/cases/article.php/12024_...

a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2007 3:22:31 PM

I think the HD2600XT is a nice upgrade for the OP (if he is in USA anyway). At $115 it destroys the 7600GT/7800GS and other cards priced about the same. Without FSAA is pretty close to the X1950 pro in new games. X1950 pro would be better (and make using fsaa a better possibilty) if he can find one at a decent price. Also, if his mobo is S939, he could add a X2 4200+ for a cheap price now if he wants dual core while still using his mobo and 2GB PC3200.

Check out some games:

crysis - http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=698&p=2
UT3 - http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=693&p=5
TF2 - http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=691&p=2
MOH airborne - http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=683&p=2
Oblivion - http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/radeon_hd_2600_perf...
December 9, 2007 4:03:03 PM

if you are running a socket 939 board you could still upgrade to an X2. Learn how to overclock and your system will at least have another 1.5 years. The x2 3800 is probably a good match for oc since its really really cheap nowadays and by the time your system is due for another upgrade all this bullshit with amd not having good processors and with intel releasing a new chipset every freaking year will be ironed out and upgrading will be less of a hassle than it is right now. I just dont want you to throw away the system you have now since it still has a little steam left in it.
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2007 4:24:55 PM

Build a new PC imo. Even a (E2180) based PC will be better, not that the E2180 is really bad, its a great OCing CPU for really cheap.
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2007 12:11:20 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Build a new PC imo. Even a (E2180) based PC will be better, not that the E2180 is really bad, its a great OCing CPU for really cheap.

Somehow everyone that replies like this leaves me the impression that they didn't read the part the poster said about money being an issue... :pfff: 

I know its exciting to offer those ideas to do a total overhual and once he reads this he may find it as an option but as others have posted here it would make sense to extend the life of his current system for a few bucks and maybe do a major upgrade or new build later.

I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ shadow but its most likely a better idea to keep the cost low and we all know what a better processor/video card can do for most systems. There is a balance where the processor is outclassing the video card and visa versa but its up to us to tell these peeps that boundary...

Just my cake hole opinion.
December 10, 2007 12:50:41 AM

england, where did he say he had a money issue? Point me out where I am wrong, I read through his posts twice and only found a part where he said that he chose an older mobo over a newer one as he did not have enough money.

As for just upgrading the videocard x1950Pro would be my choice. But even that could then end up in spending more on a PSU.

That brings you to the question of how much money is wise to put in this machine?
December 10, 2007 1:04:45 AM

socket 754 ehh, well I think x2 only came for socket 939 or higher (AM2/AM2+), just keep your processor, and see how much a x1950pro (AGP) and a better PSU will cost you, around $200 shipped. f you can wait, like I said b4 it is rumored that the HD3850 will be coming to the AGP bus, find out when that happens then I'd say as long as it isn't too expensive go for it!
a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2007 3:35:26 AM

lonelymanav said:
will an agp 8x card work in a pci express x16 slot

No, period.

englandr753 said:
Somehow everyone that replies like this leaves me the impression that they didn't read the part the poster said about money being an issue... :pfff: 

I know its exciting to offer those ideas to do a total overhual and once he reads this he may find it as an option but as others have posted here it would make sense to extend the life of his current system for a few bucks and maybe do a major upgrade or new build later.

I'm not trying to be a smart A$$ shadow but its most likely a better idea to keep the cost low and we all know what a better processor/video card can do for most systems. There is a balance where the processor is outclassing the video card and visa versa but its up to us to tell these peeps that boundary...

Just my cake hole opinion.

That is usually what happens. A lot of people don't read the author's budget limitations and always assume that a new rig is the best bang/buck. Though there are still some people that reply properly.

Grunge said:
england, where did he say he had a money issue? Point me out where I am wrong, I read through his posts twice and only found a part where he said that he chose an older mobo over a newer one as he did not have enough money.

I think the cost issue is just implied, since he isn't thinking of a new rig, and upgrading a fairly old system. If the OP had a faster machine, the OP would just probably want the machine to be 'usable' performance-wise. That is without actually spending a whole lot since this is pretty old tech we're talking about. Also if money wasn't an issue then it's possible that he should just sell that thing to e-bay or a friend and build from scratch.

@OP

Either with the X1950 or 2600XT would be good enough for your system, though you'd still be looking at a PSU upgrade. Though if rumors are true and a 3850 is coming to the AGP, then it would be worth the wait. As a single 3850 would dominate any other AGP card out there.

a c 130 U Graphics card
December 10, 2007 5:52:23 PM

FrozenGpu said:
socket 754 ehh, well I think x2 only came for socket 939 or higher (AM2/AM2+), just keep your processor, and see how much a x1950pro (AGP) and a better PSU will cost you, around $200 shipped. f you can wait, like I said b4 it is rumored that the HD3850 will be coming to the AGP bus, find out when that happens then I'd say as long as it isn't too expensive go for it!

Correct i had one, asked for upgradability in the shop as well and got sold the dead end that is a 754 MoBo oh well live and learn :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2007 12:36:39 PM

mentalepsy said:
Thanks everyone for your input. A few things:

1) I don't remember what socket my motherboard uses. As I recall there were two socket versions of the A64 when it came out, and I probably went for the older one, as I didn't have a lot of money to spend. I'll find out what model my motherboard is.

Ok, it was a misread on my part. He said he didn't have a lot of money to spend and it seems he was talking about at the time when he picked out his mobo setup.

My apology...

Mentalepsy, is money an issue or no?... If not then build an entirely new system and use the one you have now as a spare setup. Maybe even convert it into a media center system. The world is your cookie if money isn't an issue...
December 11, 2007 1:21:06 PM

tlmck said:
Cannot really comment on the other games as I don't play them. I did run the Bioshock demo on my E4300/7600gt machine and it ran and looked great at 1024x768. On the graphics settings screen, everything on the right was set to high, and everything on the left was set to "on" except "Windowed mode", "Force Global Lighting", and of course DX10. I ran the machine at stock and overclocked, and it did not seem to make that much difference. I actually run Vista Home basic, but obviously no DX10 with the 7600gt card.

I have never owned the X1950, but the Pro version seems to be the preferred high end AGP card from everything I read. It is certainly benchmarked high above my 7600gt, so I would think your machine would definitely benefit. I also read that it requires a healthy 400-450 watt power supply. It does also support Shader model 3.

Lastly, just as another option to consider would be this:
New MB - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $60
E2180 Processor - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $90
PCIe X1950 Pro - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $137 after rebate.

bad idea that MB runs the pci-e slot at x4 you can get a 939 MB with pci-e for $70 - $80.
December 11, 2007 3:25:20 PM

Sorry mentalepsy, don't want to hijack your post but I've got a similar system and I too am thinking of upgrading

Athlon 64 3400+ (2.2Ghz)
1GB DDR-400
Geforce 6800GT
MSI mobo (Socket 754)

The difference is my PSU WON'T support Radeon X1950Pro - 350w and 18amps on a single +12v rail.

a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2007 3:31:05 PM

If the 3850 comes in agp, youll be set, as it uses alot less juice than the 1950pro
December 11, 2007 4:39:15 PM

The x1950 Pro is SM3.0. Is it worth milking? It depends on your situation. Many of the games you mention show significat performance boosts from multi-core CPUs. The market prices are VERY good. You really CAN build a great rig for $600. Great means you CAN play Bioshock at high settings.

To the point: If you can afford it, now is a good time to build a good rig with great upgrading possibilities. If not, yes, upgrading your card with get you a nice boost, but remember you are buying OLD technology that you can't use when you move to a new rig.

Hope that is somewhat helpful. I just upgraded from the Geforde 6800 to the 7900gs-OC. (It is on par with the x1950GT in benchmarks). It was a BIG (upped fps at 1280x1024 by 10fps AND up settings from Medium-high to MAX in Age of Empires 3) difference. The x800 is on par with the 6800, so you could see a similar boost.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2007 1:54:48 AM

After going back and reading his original post its clear that he wants to play specific games and its totally doable to get the frame rates hes looking for and only have to spend < 200.00.

It seems clear to me that if money wasnt a strong consideration (wether he has it to spend or not, maybe he just doesnt want to) he would just go out and build a 600.00 or greater system and not seek advice here for an upgrade option.

The bottom line is if you dont want to spend a lot of money then look for the upgrade cards suggested for your current system and use it for another year or so. You can do what you originally was asking in your first post...
December 14, 2007 10:50:45 AM

Thanks for the advice, all. Just to clarify, money was an issue when I bought my current system, but it's not so much of an issue now. I CAN afford to build a new mid-range system, but I don't want to if I don't have to. Cost-effectiveness and system life are major considerations for me.

After doing some more research, an X1950 for AGP is pretty hard to find, and I'd probably have to upgrade my power supply if the minimum listed requirements are correct; it might be a little more than I want to put into this system. The 2600XT is considerably less expensive and should run on my current PSU, but it also looks like it benchmarks considerably lower in the VGA charts, so it might not give me the power I need.

I've also looked into the $500 Gaming Machine. Although it would certainly be a solid upgrade from what I've got, especially with a more powerful video card, would it last? I would hate to spend the money for a new system, even only $500, and then get disappointing performance with next year's games, or find myself with an obsolete system as new technology (PCIe 2.0, for example) becomes the standard that game developers assume that everyone's running.
December 14, 2007 11:45:08 AM

In your system you could buy a graphic card, for example the X1950 GT can work great in your system, plus the PSU. There are PSU at lower prices so you shouldn't spend to much money. The question is: Will you be able to play all the new games? Yes you will, you'll only going to have problems in Crysis, because its really heavy i dont know how it will perform in your computer since you have 2.2GHz. To help you i can say how the X1950 GT performs in my computer, the only difference to your is that mine is a 2.8GHz. So heres the list of some games i've played:

- Crysis - The system struggles to run this game and you can actually fell this while your playing, you can play in medium with one or another feature in high. Its definitely playable but with some limitations because os the system. Its far from the experience of playing the game in a new system, but its decent.
- Gears Of War - The system also struggles here, not as much as in Crysis, you can play in medium with good graphics and reasonable gameplay. With no major issues you can play this game rather well.
- Call Of Duty 4 - The system runs this game very well, with no major issues its a nice experience even in an old system and the X1950 GT does a great job.
- Bioshock - The same as COD4, excelent graphics (all in high) and gameplay with no major issues.
-Timeshift - Also does a great job, runs this game great.
- Half Life Series - All in high in maximum resolution. No problems here.
- Rainbow Six Vegas - I haven't time to tested it properly, but for now its runs well and with no major issues.

So here you have it. Its my personal experience with the X1950 GT in an old system. My previous card was the N6600GT, and the X1950 GT boosted the performance alot in the system. You can actually give some life to your system.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2007 12:23:45 PM

Good info Flex_relax. These are the kind of posts you need to hear from someone with a comparable system that you will have. If you arent overclocking your CPU you could do that and get a little more gain in performance to help get you over the hump if you have some problems.

I think you will be satisfied for a bit longer with the upgrade in my personal opinion. You will also be satisfied with a new system but I think you will spend a little more than you think to get good hardware for a system that you feel will last.

As for lasting, no system will last but for a certain period of time before you feel disatisfied with the performance once you see the newer hardware releases and you see posts of the performance gains people are getting from it. Just like you see now, if you build a new rig it will be another year or so and you will be looking at your system stats in the bottom of your posts thinking "man my hardware is getting old".

So I think you have answered your own question by saying that cost effectiveness and system life is a strong consideration for you. From that statement I think you should do the video card upgrade and keep the difference of what you would spend on a new system and put more with it in another year or so and build a new system then when you see the current high end cpus and half the cost.

It's all up to you but this is what I would do if I were in your position...
December 16, 2007 7:35:23 AM

I do agree with england in the fact that in a year the $500 rig will be on the lower end of the spectrum in about a year. Of course thats always my first offer to people seeing as it can be a depressing situation to tell someone that their current system is on its last leg. The thing I do like about the $500 rig is that with the parts in it, its fairly good for doing upgrades later on.

I have a modified version of the $500 rig on my newegg wishlist to help a friend seeing as higher performing parts are now lowering in price where it fits in that budget now.

I also agree with england that cost effectiveness and system life seem to mean alot to you, meaning to achieve both of those goals a $500 system may not be the ticket. You may could modify that build to make it last a little longer, but it will surely cost more.

Of course I am more of a "now" person, meaning when I do a complete upgrade, I get the best of the best at the time. I dont wait around 2 months for parts to go down. I used to do that and I always hated new parts coming out and my builds changing. This mindset has bit back a few times, but for the most part has served me well.

So I suppose it all falls into your hands, how much money are you willing to spend on your current system, how much money would you be willing to shell out on a new system, and are you gifted with patience (unlike me, bad trait) lol
January 1, 2008 6:49:18 AM

englandr753 said:
Somehow everyone that replies like this leaves me the impression that they didn't read the part the poster said about money being an issue...

I always see this and hate it.
January 1, 2008 6:52:05 AM

englandr753 said:
Somehow everyone that replies like this leaves me the impression that they didn't read the part the poster said about money being an issue...

I always see this and hate it.
a b U Graphics card
January 1, 2008 7:35:58 AM

Flex_Relax said:
In your system you could buy a graphic card, for example the X1950 GT can work great in your system, plus the PSU. There are PSU at lower prices so you shouldn't spend to much money. The question is: Will you be able to play all the new games? Yes you will, you'll only going to have problems in Crysis, because its really heavy i dont know how it will perform in your computer since you have 2.2GHz. To help you i can say how the X1950 GT performs in my computer, the only difference to your is that mine is a 2.8GHz. So heres the list of some games i've played:

- Crysis - The system struggles to run this game and you can actually fell this while your playing, you can play in medium with one or another feature in high. Its definitely playable but with some limitations because os the system. Its far from the experience of playing the game in a new system, but its decent.
- Gears Of War - The system also struggles here, not as much as in Crysis, you can play in medium with good graphics and reasonable gameplay. With no major issues you can play this game rather well.
- Call Of Duty 4 - The system runs this game very well, with no major issues its a nice experience even in an old system and the X1950 GT does a great job.
- Bioshock - The same as COD4, excelent graphics (all in high) and gameplay with no major issues.
-Timeshift - Also does a great job, runs this game great.
- Half Life Series - All in high in maximum resolution. No problems here.
- Rainbow Six Vegas - I haven't time to tested it properly, but for now its runs well and with no major issues.

So here you have it. Its my personal experience with the X1950 GT in an old system. My previous card was the N6600GT, and the X1950 GT boosted the performance alot in the system. You can actually give some life to your system.

2.2ghz... 2.8ghz? Comparing as if ghz matters? What cpus are you comparing?

Advice - dont invest much in old computers eg AGP, DDR1 etc - the motherboard dies, you cant use that stuff in your next system.
!