1.12gig of ram? WTF? SLI!!!! *shakes stick*

I recently upgraded from a TERIBLE 7900gt (1 card) to an 8600GT x 2 SLI setup.

The 7900 had serious overheating issues, and I love my new cards, but unfortunately now, windows says I have 1.12 gigs of ram, when the bios states 2 gigs (as it should.)

This is the only hardware change I've done, and I tried moving the ram around to different slots (thanks p5n32-sli-crapmb) and it still shows 2 gigs. Is this normal? I've never used SLI before and I'm kinda sad that with World of Warcraft running, I now have to wait for stuff to swap around when I start IE or something of that nature. Anyone have any insight? I'm at the point that a E6750 w/ new MB/Ram is looking like my only out!!!

Thanks!
-PimpSmurf
40 answers Last reply
More about 12gig shakes stick
  1. Putting 8600GT's in SLI was a crappy idea to begin with.

Try using CPU-Z to see what it says about your RAM.
  2. Take one 8600 GT out and see whether your system goes back to 2gb ram. If not something may have been damaged in the installation.

metrazol said:
    Putting 8600GT's in SLI was a crappy idea to begin with.

Try using CPU-Z to see what it says about your RAM.

yup its amazing what a little bit of marketing will convince people to part with their $$ for. One good card is always better than 2 average ones.
  3. wow, this is the second time in a few weeks soeone has told/done something like this, a aquaintance was trying to tell me that his 7800gtx was worse than his 8600M, i swear, sorry mate, but that lag you are seeing in wow is'nt from the lack fo ram but probably from the inferir cards, the ram just highlights it, stick you old 7900gt back in and makesure you ahve airflow and clean fan and the fan works...
  4. MikosNZ said:

yup its amazing what a little bit of marketing will convince people to part with their $$ for. One good card is always better than 2 average ones.

I don't know how people who do their own builds can just plunk down the cash without doing a bit of research first. I can understand someone reading a few threads and reviews while still deciding to purchase hardware at a less than optimal price-performance point if they are a fanboy or stupid rich, but just leaping into SLI with 8600's is a different level of mind boggling.
  5. but 2z bet3r th@n 1, l0l11!!!
  6. Quote:
    I recently upgraded from a TERIBLE 7900gt (1 card) to an 8600GT x 2 SLI setup.

I hope you mean 8800GT x 2. Otherwise it's not really an upgrade.
  7. [to get us out of the flame war.]so i belive you problome is with 1, broken hardware or 2. virtual memory. see windows can onhly recognize so mush system memory whats your os? beacsue no matter how much other may tell you a single 8600 is better than a single 7900 it had been proven time and time again, and dual 8600 in sli is a bad dea beacuse the preformace is not worth the cost you would have been better off with a single 8800gt. hope this helps.
  8. CpuZ sees both of the ram chips (identical)

1) My 7900gt CO is from eVga and they discontinued it because the ram was crap and overheats very easily (leave WoW /AFK and come back to your screen going apeshit with graphical errors. Alt-tab, and let the board cooldown and then everything is cool.

2) I had some cash and wanted an upgrade (to be rid of my 7900 constently **** itself) and best buy had 2 8600gt (BFG Tech) so I got um.

3) going back to the 7900 isn't an option because it now has 20 .308 holes in it.

4) I'm thinking that I'm going to take one of the 8600gt cards back and get a G35 MB w/ E6750 and some ddr3 1600 (cas 7-6-6-18)

Does that sound like a good idea? I can't afford to return both of the cards and get an 8800. I'll also be selling my watercooling rig. (and shooting the Asus P5N32-SLI deluxe POS MB.)

-PimpSmurf
  9. please dont do it serious its not worth is yet.i like the first idea not the dd3 just yet a little to soon.
  10. pimpsmurf said:

3) going back to the 7900 isn't an option because it now has 20 .308 holes in it.

Nice shooting, sir! :lol:

But if you are on tight budget, why DDR3? I think G35 doesn't support ddr3 anyway.
    8600GT isn't that bad, I have one myself, but I really think you should go for something better. At least an ATI 3850
  11. Terrible 7900?

I have a 7600gt and its awesome, I obviously can't play the latest, but HL2 is all the way maxed at 60fps, Crysis 1440x900, medium/low graphics is 20fps! It takes what I throw at it. The 7x series is to undershot.

(until Christmas rolls around I I get my 3850)
  12. that's a weird issue. Yes, it often eats up a lot of address space under the 4Gb limit - which is a physical limit, for memory mapping and such, but it really should not do it with 2 Gb if everything is properly configured.
  13. yea i wasent quite shure with the address sapce.
  14. You would have been better off getting one 8800GT, i don't think it would have cost you a lot more.
  15. Yup, turns out it wasn't the 8600s after all. I'm running on 1 8600 now (returned the other) on a E6750/P5k-E@3.5ghz and I'm getting 35+fps in Shattrath with everything cranked up. =)
  16. Why did you *shoot* the card? 1. a 7900GT is faster than an 8600GT (its not even close) 2. you could have SOLD the card to someone and gotten money out of it.
    Did you ever stop to consider that the problem might have been airflow in your case? Also, if you spent the money from the motherboard and processor on a real graphics card you'd be getting even better frame rates.

-mcg
  17. "8600GT x 2 SLI setup."

what a waste of money.....crap performance for that price. i would return those 2 cards if u still have the chance and get 1 8800GT for the same price.
  18. You can replace 7900GT's original heatsink/fan like ZALMAN for video card. Makes performance better and can be overclocked too.
  19. 1) It's an eVGA 7900GT 256meg CO Superclocked board
    2) It's not on the market anymore because the memory would overheat and cause serious issues. I've tried using an aftermarket heatsink/fan and it still overheated and caused insane graphical issues in 3d apps. I eventually had to underclock the board.
    3) I was joking about it being shot, it's actually boxed up and being returned under the lifetime warantee for repair (it's a known issue... the tech support guy at eVGA said "that card is a piece of ****". no lie.)
    4) I did return one of the 8600s, and the single BFGTech 8600gt is humming along nicely at 1680x1050 8xAA w/ everything maxxed out in WoW. Minimum of 35fps anywhere in Shatrath. It's beautiful.
    5) It's not a waste of money just because it's not what you would have bought. I wanted SLI for bragging rights, and the ability to do 16xAA (which looks good on my board.) The only games I play are F.E.A.R. (single player) and WoW. Maybe I'll pick up another 3d game (been thinking about the microsoft/activision mech-warrior type game.)

I <3 my 8600. It doesn't seem to be better than the 7900gt at dx9, but as I plan to go to vista ultimate64 (dx10) and overclock the board even more, I expect the performance to be much better than the 7900 (as the 7900 doesn't support dx10.)

I need to figure out what temps I should stay under on the board before I OC it more. It's at 565core bus/700memory bus ATM.

-PimpSmurf
  20. "You can replace 7900GT's original heatsink/fan like ZALMAN for video card. Makes performance better and can be overclocked too. "

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=657&p=1
    8600 can be overclocked quite a bit itself.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=693&p=5
    8600gt 256 beats 7900gt 512 at UT3 beta

It appears that on other games, the 7900gt is slightly ahead of the 8600gt at lower resolutions, and the 8600gt is ahead of the 7900gt at higher AA/AF/resolutions. Thats how I like to play anyway. Of course, the 7900gt would have probably been better for WoW for now. Maybe. Maybe I should benchmark it, but it's kinda hard to ;)
  21. pimpsmurf said:
    1)

I <3 my 8600. It doesn't seem to be better than the 7900gt at dx9, but as I plan to go to vista ultimate64 (dx10) and overclock the board even more, I expect the performance to be much better than the 7900 (as the 7900 doesn't support dx10.)

Something tells me you haven't seen any DX10 benchmarks... what is playable in DX9 mode is virtually unplayable in DX10 mode on many DX10 capable cards... so your argument that the 7900 can't push DX10 games... well, neither can that 8600 if you want to be perfectly honest. Nvidia really missed the boat on its 8600 series and people that read the reviews BEFORE they bought the cards knew it. Enjoy your card :)
  22. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=TFUOZMTABDZ0VKC4D3FVAHA?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=8600GT&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

8600 GT @ 149.99$ x 2 = 300$
    8800 GT @ Newegg = 269.99 - 310.99$ depending on OC versions

why not order from e-tailers online :O and return the 2x8600GT's
  23. http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=855&model2=711&chart=318
    Also, crashing was a known problem on earlier 7900 series cards, especially the overclocked ones, but I think they got that fixed later on in the manufacturing cycle.

-mcg
  24. Don't buy computer hardware from BestBuy unless you know what you're doing, which you don't.
  25. Congratulations!

Your terrible 7900 GT is faster than your wonderful new pair of 8600 GTs... :D
  26. I think it's borderline criminal that 8600s are even made SLI ready. 1 is not bad for a budget card, but 2 is a waste of money.
  27. What's criminal is on the Dell website: when you buy a top-end XPS system, two 8600 GTS' are recommended for a gaming system over a single 8800 GTX...
  28. WTB People who know how to read................................

Damn, I just hope this thread dies. I bought a 8600 from best buy because it was the best they had, and my 7900gt crashed like a mother ****. I repeat.... my 7900 is a piece of **** (until it's RMA's and the faulty ram is replaced.) The GPU would get well over 100C before it would crash my system (at stock frequencies.)

How is that better than my fully functional, 7900gt-outperforming card? Because I wanted something that day and I'm not so poor or elitest to go to best buy and buy two of the best they have? Because I didn't care what the top of the line was? When my 17" monitor died, I didn't go to a friend's house, do research, post of forums, read manufacturer's websites and try to find the best monitor they had... I had more important things to do. So I spent my time driving to walmart and buying a 22" widescreen monitor ($300, and I don't care if it was a rip off. I love it.)

I'm thinking that I'll use the video card until my 7900gt gets back to me. Then use it until I return this 8600 and order a 8800.

BTW, my new C2D@3.5ghz system (p5k-e w/ E6750 and 2gigs of cruxial ballistix)ddr2/1066) rules, even without a 8800gtx.

Wish I had my friend's money. He is building a new system C2QX w/ QX6600 and 8 gigs of ddr2/1066 and SLI 8800's. **** sexy sexy.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Should I return the 8600 and get a 8800GT Superclocked 512mb that costs the exact same? Yep. Should I have waited a few days without a computer because of it... nope... best buy = no restocking fees newbs.

;)

7900gt's suck

-PimpSmurf (mostly joking)
  29. pimpsmurf said:

I'm thinking that I'll use the video card until my 7900gt gets back to me. Then use it until I return this 8600 and order a 8800...

...Should I return the 8600 and get a 8800GT Superclocked 512mb that costs the exact same? Yep.

Am I misunderstanding something? I thoguht you said you had TWO 8600 GT's in SLI.
  30. cleeve said:
    Am I misunderstanding something? I thoguht you said you had TWO 8600 GT's in SLI.

No you read it write and wrote it correctly. He had 2, he mentioned he returned one, and now is only using one. Seems like $$$ isn't to much of an issue for him, so it really doesnt matter anyways.
  31. F.E.A.R. @1680x1050 4xAA 16xASF Full Quality (Nvidia driver forceing vsync/single display performance/high quality filtering)

BFG8500GT OC (512):
    FPS: min - 13 / avg - 24 / max 52
    %: 70 - 25 - 5

eVGA 7900gt CO Superclocked (256)
    FPS: min - 12 / avg - 20 / max 42
    %: 76 - 23 - 1

Fact: For my purposes, the 7900gt is an inferior card. Of course it is. On other benchmarks, it's even more of a difference. Dispell the myth. Perhaps I could push the clock even higher after it was returned for RMA, but the 8600 was at off-the-shelf clock also (for the test)

Fact: I give up. Your right. I should have waited for THIS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130300

to arrive and been without my computer for a few days.

There, are you happy now? I have an 8800. For all those who might read this when wondering what card to buy, just get the best one. Get a couple SLI 8800GTX cards because you will be taunted relentlessly. :)

You see, when hardware dies and you are forced to replace it quickly, one should use it as an excuse to upgrade to the very best. Don't just go to best buy and buy the best they have (because you want to get back to your WoW addiction. NO! One must wait 4 days (with overnight shipping) on a weekend for your new card to get here. Heaven forbid you pay $50 more than newegg for a card that outperforms your old card (maybe not when overclocked more, if it functioned propperly to begin with.) ESPECIALLY if the card you have is completely dead.

=)

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. I bought SLI 8600s because it was the best they had and I wanted my computer to work, AND it was certainly better than what I had previously (had I realized that memory remap had been turned off in my bios.) Yes, having 1.12 megs of ram was why WoW was running so slow. I could hear my Raptor X grinding like a mofo while it was trying to keep up with swapping like a flea market.

<3 the the internet or die.
    -PimpSmurf
  32. +1 Revival

Your response makes no sense.
  33. if money wasn't an issue, he wouldnt of had a 7900gt to begin with =/
  34. i have to say, perhaps the overheating problem was from all the 30cal holes in the heatsink from your Recoilless Rocket-Ripper X54 ;-) i WISH i had some extra crap hardware, and a gun to shoot it all with hehehehehe!
  35. This guy isn't very bright. Order an 8800GT online now. It will be here sometime next week. At that time, return your other 8600GT to best buy. Which btw, Best Buy overcharges the hell out of those 8600GTs, you'll prolly save money.

You should be slapped for buying DDR2-1066 memory, its a waste of money, I guarentee you will not see the difference between 800 and 1066 since you arent doing an extreme OC.

You should be slapped again for considering buying DDR3 memory. There's not much benefit to it and it costs a retarded amount of money.
  36. What the hell is going on??? Can't someone ever be wrong? Whats with people coming here, and try to talk us into believing that they made a good choice? Why can't someone say, "oh, my bad. I didn't realize that." You get an average of 20FPS on FEAR? How come these guys get so much more, at the same settings?

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2006/03/31/evgas-7900-gt-co-superclok-beats-7800gtx-radeon-x1800xt

Look at that, its even the same card. The eVGA superclocked got an average of 70FPS on FEAR at 1600x1200. The stock clocked one got 57FPS. I would assume that these were tested with older/slower CPUs, testing with your C2D might bump the scores up a little more. Most people would agree that the 8600GTS is a bit faster then the 7900GS, faster for sure if you are looking at a newer game. Assuming that the 7900GS is slower then a 7900GT, a 8600GT should be slower then the 7900GT, not faster.

I'd also like to know what happened with the original problem. He's only got 2GBs installed, why would his memory drop with two cards installed? Even if he had two of the 512MB cards, thats only one Gig of memory address space taken up by the cards. Even if we assume that everything else needs a full Gig, thats only 2GBs used. Two gigs of physical ram, two gigs of address use, why the drop in ram? It shouldn't matter if remap is on or off, its not needed.

Quote:
    beacsue no matter how much other may tell you a single 8600 is better than a single 7900 it had been proven time and time again

Not to me or anyone else I know. A single 8600GTS, or a single 8600GT thats been overclocked effectively turning it into a GTS, can beat a 7900GS. I wouldn't argue with that at all. But a single 7950GT can beat either 8600 card. The 8600GT/GTS might get a win or a tie in some of the newest games, but the better overall card is the 7950GT. (or a very overclocked 7900GS.) If you'd like to educate me, provide links!
  37. @OP: You got pwned by best buy. You should have gotten a 8800GT.
  38. test both cards in single mode physically removing each card, if you still have the problem test them both in another slot if possible. Then if one works and one doesn't rma the bad card.... from the sounds of it, it's either a bad card, or a crappy mobo, or just some wrong settings, or something. :-p either that or there was some type of discharge on your mem stick and screwed almsot a whole gig of ram....

well, that's my best idea's off the top of my head... test your ram chips singlely too first actually....
  39. that was a dumb ass move to put 2 8600 cards in sli.... wow
  40. LOL, you think thats bad maverick? I had a coworker who was so excited about SLI that he SLI'd two 6600's. Not 6600GT's, but normal plain 6600s. Talk about a waste.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia RAM SLI Graphics Product