Code Protability across Windows CE versus Windows Mobile

July 1, 2005 2:21:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Hey,

Does anyone here know if the code written for WIndows CE will run
without making any changes in the source code as it is? i.e. does the
code targetted for Windows CE will also run on Windows Mobile?

I know that Windows Mobile is based on the code base of WinCE, so
logically it does mean that the code should be portable without making
any chagnes. True?

-RainBow
July 1, 2005 3:53:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Thanks for your reply Robert.

To be more specific, we are using Windows CE 5.0 and Windows Mobile
5.0.

The applciation is written for Windows CE is in C++. In this
applciation ,we are using DirectShow APIs as well as File System APIs,
Memory Mangement APIs, Messaage Dispatching and Handling fucntions. GUI
functionality is minimal - definitely no menus involved.

A colleague told me that the code written for Windows CE 5.0 will need
to be "changed" to some extent while compling it for Windows Mobile
5.0.

Is there any URL or any article that someone will point to me to actual
differences between WIndowsCE 5.0 and WIndows Mobile 5.0 please?

Thanks much,
-RainBow
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 5:43:48 AM

On 30 Jun 2005 22:21:19 -0700, "RainBow" <drvirens@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Does anyone here know if the code written for WIndows CE will run
>without making any changes in the source code as it is? i.e. does the
>code targetted for Windows CE will also run on Windows Mobile?
>
>I know that Windows Mobile is based on the code base of WinCE, so
>logically it does mean that the code should be portable without making
>any chagnes. True?

A very definite maybe.

Pocket PCs use a menu structure and menu functions (SHCreateMenu etc.)
that are very different than for any other Windows CE platforms
(CommandBar_Create etc.). Pocket PC and Pocket PC 2002 will support
applications built using CommandBar_Create etc; the applications will
run in "emulation mode", with Task Bar at bottom of screen and
application menu at top of screen. But if an application built using
CommandBar_Create runs on a Pocket PC 2003, the application menu will
be invisible. I'm not absolutely sure. But I tried several methods.
I've also reported this result and no one has said I'm wrong.

I don't use MFC. But I'm pretty sure MFC apps built for Pocket PC 2000
or 2002 will have trouble on Pocket PC 2003 and newer. So I wonder
about apps built for Pocket PC 2003 running on Pocket PC 2005.
(Official name for Pocket PC 2003 is Windows Mobile for Pocket PC
2003.Similar for Pocket PC 2005.)

I regularly build for Smartphone and Smartphone 2003. But I rarely
test (we don't support Smartphone). Smartphones are different from
Pocket PCs in several ways:
1) only 2 menus, because menus are accessed via action buttons
2) no stylus or mouse

>-RainBow

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:03:01 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

is this help?

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm2005-magnet...

hope so.

Rgds,
zaky masjkur

RainBow wrote:
>Thanks for your reply Robert.
>
>To be more specific, we are using Windows CE 5.0 and Windows Mobile
>5.0.
>
>The applciation is written for Windows CE is in C++. In this
>applciation ,we are using DirectShow APIs as well as File System APIs,
>Memory Mangement APIs, Messaage Dispatching and Handling fucntions. GUI
>functionality is minimal - definitely no menus involved.
>
>A colleague told me that the code written for Windows CE 5.0 will need
>to be "changed" to some extent while compling it for Windows Mobile
>5.0.
>
>Is there any URL or any article that someone will point to me to actual
>differences between WIndowsCE 5.0 and WIndows Mobile 5.0 please?
>
>Thanks much,
>-RainBow
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 9:48:59 PM

On 30 Jun 2005 23:53:19 -0700, "RainBow" <drvirens@gmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks for your reply Robert.
>
>To be more specific, we are using Windows CE 5.0 and Windows Mobile
>5.0.
>
>The applciation is written for Windows CE is in C++. In this
>applciation ,we are using DirectShow APIs as well as File System APIs,
>Memory Mangement APIs, Messaage Dispatching and Handling fucntions. GUI
>functionality is minimal - definitely no menus involved.

My hunch is that none of the features you mention will require any
changes. But I'm quite sure you will have a far better idea of what's
involved if you start trying to build your app for Windows Mobile
2005. I also suggest building and examining a sample Windows Mobile
2005 app.

>A colleague told me that the code written for Windows CE 5.0 will need
>to be "changed" to some extent while compling it for Windows Mobile
>5.0.

Windows CE is always packaged as part of a platform. So no application
is every written solely for the operating system itself. Pocket PC,
Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Pocket PC 2005 are the most common
platforms. Windows Mobile 2005 is based on version 5 of the Windows CE
operating system. So any program written for Windows Mobile 2005 is
written for version 5 of the Windows CE operating system. But not the
other way around. For more info on platforms, see:
http://www.cewindows.net/wce/versions.htm
http://www.opennetcf.org/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=317

(I don't use phrases like "Windows CE 5.0" because I think they are
ambiguous. Also, I avoided adding a decimal place to the 5 because I'm
not sure just which version of the operating system is relevant. But I
think you and your friend are using "Windows CE 5.0" to mean the same
thing I describe as version 5 of the Windows CE operating system.)

>Is there any URL or any article that someone will point to me to actual
>differences between WIndowsCE 5.0 and WIndows Mobile 5.0 please?

I don't know of any succinct list. You will get some ideas if you look
for Microsoft's "logo" requirements (the list of requirements that
must be met to get an official "built for Windows Mobile 2005" logo).
I don't have a reference, and am feeling lazy right now.

>Thanks much,
>-RainBow

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
July 6, 2005 5:03:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

Hi Robert,

That helps immensely. 2 things:

1. We are compiling Windows CE 5.0 using Platform Builder, putting the
image on custom hardware and then running our applications on top of
it.
2. We are also gonna run those applications on a Windows Mobile 5.0
device (smartphone + pocket pc)

Basically, what we are trying to gauge at this point of time is whether
or not our application code will run on both of above platforms. Our
application code is made up of some UI elements (we have not used any
menu bars or command bars), but it is those UIs which are making me
wonder if same UI element will work on both of above builds.

My understanding is that M$ provides WIndows CE 5.0 code base to its
customers (operators??) who then add add their own UI layer on the top
of WIndows CE OS (something similar like Symbian OS where we have OS
code on the top of which licnesees can put UIQ or Series 60 or other
customised layers).

Similarly, M$ also provides Windows CE 5.0 code base to one of its
internal groups who are responsible for maintaining/developing WIndows
Mobile 5.0. This itnernal group does do pretty much same thing like
other M$ customers - add some UI layer on the top of WIndows CE 5.0,
alongwith other features ( and perhaps remove them at the last moment -
EmailPush :-) which leads to a platform called WIndows Mobile 5.0. This
platform is then sold to various customers.

Is my understaning in synch with you guys? Or I am totally dumb here?

-RainBow
Anonymous
July 7, 2005 6:13:18 PM

On 6 Jul 2005 13:03:54 -0700, "RainBow" <drvirens@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Robert,
>
>That helps immensely. 2 things:
>
>1. We are compiling Windows CE 5.0 using Platform Builder, putting the
>image on custom hardware and then running our applications on top of
>it.

If folks at your company are building a custom version, then folks at
your company (perhaps only collectively) have better info than anyone
else about compatibility.

>2. We are also gonna run those applications on a Windows Mobile 5.0
>device (smartphone + pocket pc)

The Smartphone is special in two ways:
1) Only two menus (one for each "soft" button)
2) No stylus or mouse input

>Basically, what we are trying to gauge at this point of time is whether
>or not our application code will run on both of above platforms. Our
>application code is made up of some UI elements (we have not used any
>menu bars or command bars), but it is those UIs which are making me
>wonder if same UI element will work on both of above builds.

I think the folks working with Platform Builder can make sure they
create a version of the OS that supports all the functions you want to
use for Windows Mobile (Pocket PC and Smartphone).

>My understanding is that M$ provides WIndows CE 5.0 code base to its
>customers (operators??) who then add add their own UI layer on the top
>of WIndows CE OS (something similar like Symbian OS where we have OS
>code on the top of which licnesees can put UIQ or Series 60 or other
>customised layers).
>
>Similarly, M$ also provides Windows CE 5.0 code base to one of its
>internal groups who are responsible for maintaining/developing WIndows
>Mobile 5.0. This itnernal group does do pretty much same thing like
>other M$ customers - add some UI layer on the top of WIndows CE 5.0,
>alongwith other features ( and perhaps remove them at the last moment -
>EmailPush :-) which leads to a platform called WIndows Mobile 5.0. This
>platform is then sold to various customers.
>
>Is my understaning in synch with you guys? Or I am totally dumb here?

I think you're close, but maybe have some details wrong. I believe the
Microsoft folks who maintain Windows Mobile are, indeed, essentially
customers. I _think_ all customers get Platform Builder, and _some_
get a license (for big $) to build variations of a Microsoft-defined
platform. I don't use Platform Builder, but I believe it lets folks
tune the operating system by adding _and_ subtracting features. So
each platform (defined by Microsoft or by OEMs such as your company)
is neither a superset nor subset of the base operating system.

>-RainBow

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R