USB2 and XP Pro - what the heck!!

Help please - I'm going round in ever-diminishing circles here, almost
disappearing up my fundamental you-know-what
..
My PC had 6 USB1 ports - I upgraded by adding a 2-port USB2 card, with a
USB2 4 port hub ... When I had XP Home, all was fine. I then crashed my
hdd, so bit the bullet, got a new drive, and XP Pro and started again.

The (Via) USB2 card was bought new, as was the 4 port hub - I have the
driver CD for the card.

According to System Manager, everything's fine, working correctly. BUT -
every time I try to use my USB2 memory stick in one of the 4 ports on the
hub, it comes up with "This would work faster with USB2 - put it in one of
the 4 unused ports" .... which is unmitigated b/s as it's already IN one of
them - changing makes no difference.

I've already outed the 4 port hub in the belief it MIGHT be duff, got
replacement - beggars belief that 2 sealed units are both u/s. Hub has
external power, so it's not that either. It's driving me nuts - HELP !!!!

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When you reinstalled XP Pro did you install the chipset drivers for the
motherboard and the drivers for the add-in card?

"Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> Help please - I'm going round in ever-diminishing circles here, almost
> disappearing up my fundamental you-know-what
> .
> My PC had 6 USB1 ports - I upgraded by adding a 2-port USB2 card, with a
> USB2 4 port hub ... When I had XP Home, all was fine. I then crashed my
> hdd, so bit the bullet, got a new drive, and XP Pro and started again.
>
> The (Via) USB2 card was bought new, as was the 4 port hub - I have the
> driver CD for the card.
>
> According to System Manager, everything's fine, working correctly. BUT -
> every time I try to use my USB2 memory stick in one of the 4 ports on the
> hub, it comes up with "This would work faster with USB2 - put it in one of
> the 4 unused ports" .... which is unmitigated b/s as it's already IN one
> of them - changing makes no difference.
>
> I've already outed the 4 port hub in the belief it MIGHT be duff, got
> replacement - beggars belief that 2 sealed units are both u/s. Hub has
> external power, so it's not that either. It's driving me nuts - HELP !!!!

Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
used) the USB2 card installation CD.
According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest) there's
no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I auto-update (SP2
installed months ago, and all later updates as released).

I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest beta,
Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities schedule. I run
total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't malware.

PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed new
DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.

> When you reinstalled XP Pro did you install the chipset drivers for the
> motherboard and the drivers for the add-in card?
>
> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>> Help please - I'm going round in ever-diminishing circles here, almost
>> disappearing up my fundamental you-know-what
>> .
>> My PC had 6 USB1 ports - I upgraded by adding a 2-port USB2 card, with a
>> USB2 4 port hub ... When I had XP Home, all was fine. I then crashed my
>> hdd, so bit the bullet, got a new drive, and XP Pro and started again.
>>
>> The (Via) USB2 card was bought new, as was the 4 port hub - I have the
>> driver CD for the card.
>>
>> According to System Manager, everything's fine, working correctly. BUT -
>> every time I try to use my USB2 memory stick in one of the 4 ports on the
>> hub, it comes up with "This would work faster with USB2 - put it in one
>> of the 4 unused ports" .... which is unmitigated b/s as it's already IN
>> one of them - changing makes no difference.
>>
>> I've already outed the 4 port hub in the belief it MIGHT be duff, got
>> replacement - beggars belief that 2 sealed units are both u/s. Hub has
>> external power, so it's not that either. It's driving me nuts - HELP
>> !!!!

Look under bus adapters in Belarc Advisor. Do you have an entry for
"Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" or, in my case "Adaptec
AUA-3121 PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
> used) the USB2 card installation CD.
> According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest) there's
> no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I auto-update (SP2
> installed months ago, and all later updates as released).
>
> I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest
> beta, Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities
> schedule. I run total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't malware.
>
> PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed new
> DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.
>
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> When you reinstalled XP Pro did you install the chipset drivers for the
>> motherboard and the drivers for the add-in card?
>>
>> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>>> Help please - I'm going round in ever-diminishing circles here, almost
>>> disappearing up my fundamental you-know-what
>>> .
>>> My PC had 6 USB1 ports - I upgraded by adding a 2-port USB2 card, with a
>>> USB2 4 port hub ... When I had XP Home, all was fine. I then crashed my
>>> hdd, so bit the bullet, got a new drive, and XP Pro and started again.
>>>
>>> The (Via) USB2 card was bought new, as was the 4 port hub - I have the
>>> driver CD for the card.
>>>
>>> According to System Manager, everything's fine, working correctly.
>>> BUT - every time I try to use my USB2 memory stick in one of the 4
>>> ports on the hub, it comes up with "This would work faster with USB2 -
>>> put it in one of the 4 unused ports" .... which is unmitigated b/s as
>>> it's already IN one of them - changing makes no difference.
>>>
>>> I've already outed the 4 port hub in the belief it MIGHT be duff, got
>>> replacement - beggars belief that 2 sealed units are both u/s. Hub has
>>> external power, so it's not that either. It's driving me nuts - HELP
>>> !!!!

Chipset drivers are the drivers for the motherboard. Although you're using a
separate card, it could still be related to not having the correct chipset
drivers because those drivers affect things that are plugged into the
motherboard -- like that usb card.

"Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
> used) the USB2 card installation CD.
> According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest) there's
> no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I auto-update (SP2
> installed months ago, and all later updates as released).
>
> I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest
> beta, Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities
> schedule. I run total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't malware.
>
> PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed new
> DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.
>
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> When you reinstalled XP Pro did you install the chipset drivers for the
>> motherboard and the drivers for the add-in card?
>>
>> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>>> Help please - I'm going round in ever-diminishing circles here, almost
>>> disappearing up my fundamental you-know-what
>>> .
>>> My PC had 6 USB1 ports - I upgraded by adding a 2-port USB2 card, with a
>>> USB2 4 port hub ... When I had XP Home, all was fine. I then crashed my
>>> hdd, so bit the bullet, got a new drive, and XP Pro and started again.
>>>
>>> The (Via) USB2 card was bought new, as was the 4 port hub - I have the
>>> driver CD for the card.
>>>
>>> According to System Manager, everything's fine, working correctly.
>>> BUT - every time I try to use my USB2 memory stick in one of the 4
>>> ports on the hub, it comes up with "This would work faster with USB2 -
>>> put it in one of the 4 unused ports" .... which is unmitigated b/s as
>>> it's already IN one of them - changing makes no difference.
>>>
>>> I've already outed the 4 port hub in the belief it MIGHT be duff, got
>>> replacement - beggars belief that 2 sealed units are both u/s. Hub has
>>> external power, so it's not that either. It's driving me nuts - HELP
>>> !!!!

All motherboards require reinstallation of the mobo chipset drivers after a
new installation of Windows. It is like needing to reinstall your video
card drivers. The usb2 card drivers on your cd are for versions of Windows
prior to XP SP1. They make no difference to XP SP1 and later because they
are built into the OS from SP1 on. Find the cd with that came with the mobo
or visit the manufacturer's site and download the drivers and install them.
There should be some useful utilities also.

"Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
> used) the USB2 card installation CD.
> According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest) there's
> no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I auto-update (SP2
> installed months ago, and all later updates as released).
>
> I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest
> beta, Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities
> schedule. I run total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't malware.
>
> PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed new
> DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.
>
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> When you reinstalled XP Pro did you install the chipset drivers for the
>> motherboard and the drivers for the add-in card?
>>
>> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>>> Help please - I'm going round in ever-diminishing circles here, almost
>>> disappearing up my fundamental you-know-what
>>> .
>>> My PC had 6 USB1 ports - I upgraded by adding a 2-port USB2 card, with a
>>> USB2 4 port hub ... When I had XP Home, all was fine. I then crashed my
>>> hdd, so bit the bullet, got a new drive, and XP Pro and started again.
>>>
>>> The (Via) USB2 card was bought new, as was the 4 port hub - I have the
>>> driver CD for the card.
>>>
>>> According to System Manager, everything's fine, working correctly.
>>> BUT - every time I try to use my USB2 memory stick in one of the 4
>>> ports on the hub, it comes up with "This would work faster with USB2 -
>>> put it in one of the 4 unused ports" .... which is unmitigated b/s as
>>> it's already IN one of them - changing makes no difference.
>>>
>>> I've already outed the 4 port hub in the belief it MIGHT be duff, got
>>> replacement - beggars belief that 2 sealed units are both u/s. Hub has
>>> external power, so it's not that either. It's driving me nuts - HELP
>>> !!!!

Here's a cut/paste of relevant Belarc report covering all USB bits.
I'm a bit unsure about why there should be 2 "Host Companion" and 3
"Via Rev 5 UHC's" - these all relate to on-board USB1, though why there
should be so many, I don't know.
As set up right now - have USB controller for Logitech mouse and /k/b,
4 rear and 2 front USB1 ports (only 1 in use for the radio mouse/kb
controller) and the USB2 card plugged in but not in use. No printer, scanner
or other device connected.

Does this give you help in solving my problem?

Sincerely, Len

Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (Microsoft
Corporation) [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n H4JW907504, October 2003)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
A347SCSI SCSI Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Creative Game Port
Creative SB Audigy LS
Communications Other Devices
LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter Version 1.0
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Card MAC Address: 00:A0:CC:2E:40:1F
Network IP Address: 81.99.84.92 / 24 HID-compliant consumer control
device
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device
USB Human Interface Device
USB Human Interface Device
HID Keyboard Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Look under bus adapters in Belarc Advisor. Do you have an entry for
> "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" or, in my case "Adaptec
> AUA-3121 PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>> Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
>> used) the USB2 card installation CD.
>> According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest)
>> there's no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I
>> auto-update (SP2 installed months ago, and all later updates as
>> released).
>>
>> I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest
>> beta, Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities
>> schedule. I run total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't malware.
>>
>> PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed new
>> DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.
>>
>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>>> When you reinstalled XP Pro did you install the chipset drivers for the
>>> motherboard and the drivers for the add-in card?
>>>
>>> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message

If only ...
http://usa.asus.com/aap/a7v266e-aa/overview.htm

is the link to the Asus site, A7V266E rev 1.xx m/b, BUT the manual/chipset
download page is "not available". Googling hasn't yielded any other source,
unless I mis-read it.

I'm treading in virgin territory here - areas of expertise I'm not confident
of - so forgive me if I'm going OT -
I remember a while back, updating BIOS - ACPI Bios rev 1006 1/23/2002
installed. Is that relevant ?

FWIW - though upgraded since, this pc started out as a pre-installed XPHome
commercial kit (Athlon 1.533Ghz on Asus m/b). The original m/b and processor
are about all that's left - added memory, both optical drives changed,
original hdd is now "slave" to a new hdd, XPPro replaces XPHome, sound card
added, USB2 card added, 2 LAN cards .... I still have the original set-up
CD's but the "Drivers" sections only relate to NVidea graphics and CMAudio
sound - no trace of Asus A7V266E m/b or chipset drivers whatsoever. They
could be in the "Setup.exe" file itself, but I'm unwilling to run that,
given 3 years+ upgrades since, with no probs except this one.

Can you help further, please?

"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chipset drivers are the drivers for the motherboard. Although you're using
> a separate card, it could still be related to not having the correct
> chipset drivers because those drivers affect things that are plugged into
> the motherboard -- like that usb card.
>

> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>> Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
>> used) the USB2 card installation CD.
>> According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest)
>> there's no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I
>> auto-update (SP2 installed months ago, and all later updates as
>> released).
>>
>> I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest
>> beta, Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities
>> schedule. I run total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't malware.
>>
>> PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed new
>> DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.
>>
>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>>> When you reinstalled XP Pro did you install the chipset drivers for the
>>> motherboard and the drivers for the add-in card?
>>>
>>> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message

Since replying to last message, have found an ASUS VIA DDR chipset series
"support" CD (in addition to the TARGA pc support CD) both of wh came with
the original PC, some 3 + years ago. Have thoroughly searched this CD too -
no mb manual, nothing relating to USB or chipset drivers
Further - this PC (with XPHome pre-installed), but - not one of the support
files on any of the CD's mention XP - all the drivers pre-date XP (are for
W98 up to NT or 2000) so I would be reluctant to use these CD's as source
for XPPro drivers.
As far ASUS support is concerned - can get to the site via link
http://usa.asus.com/aap/a7v266e-aa/overview.htm but that's as far as it
goes - the overview only, further pages/downloads are just "not available"
This actually replicates situation a year or more ago - had probs with the
on-board CMI8738 sound, ASUS site then operated but was useless as far as
updated drivers were concerned, none worked. Solved that prob by installing
new sound card. Given both previous and current history, next time I
upgrade it will not be an Asus m/b! I recall various forums discussing
identical probs - all equally frustrated.

Appreciate the advice, but alas! it's no good for Asus m/b's.

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
> All motherboards require reinstallation of the mobo chipset drivers after
> a new installation of Windows. It is like needing to reinstall your video
> card drivers. The usb2 card drivers on your cd are for versions of
> Windows prior to XP SP1. They make no difference to XP SP1 and later
> because they are built into the OS from SP1 on. Find the cd with that
> came with the mobo or visit the manufacturer's site and download the
> drivers and install them. There should be some useful utilities also.
>
> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>> Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
>> used) the USB2 card installation CD.
>> According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest)
>> there's no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I
>> auto-update (SP2 installed months ago, and all later updates as
>> released).
>>
>> I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest
>> beta, Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities
>> schedule. I run total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't malware.
>>
>> PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed new
>> DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.
>>
>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>>> When you reinstalled XP Pro did you install the chipset drivers for the
>>> motherboard and the drivers for the add-in card?
>>>
>>> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message

Could you have reached that point where you should take your computer to a
professional and allow them to straighten it out for you?

I have one computer that uses an Asus A7V266E M/B. The M/B came with
everything necessary to set up the computer, up to Windows 2000. Windows XP
came out after the M/B was introduced. Of course you won't find what you
need on the CD. You have to go to the various manufacturers web sites and
download that which you need to get the system running in a stable
condition.

You need the latest Windows XP compatible chipset drivers. You need the
audio drivers - if you are using the onboard sound. You will need ethernet
drivers and modem drivers if you are using these devices.

The M/B is only USB 1.1 capable. To use USB 2.0 you absolutely need either
Windows XP SP2 or the Windows XP compatible drivers from the manufacturer of
the USB 2.0 add-in board you have installed. You can not plug in an external
USB 2.0 hub to an internal USB 1.1 connecter and expect to be able to use
USB 2.0.

I know that all of the above may not apply to you, so use what fits.

--

> Since replying to last message, have found an ASUS VIA DDR chipset series
> "support" CD (in addition to the TARGA pc support CD) both of wh came with
> the original PC, some 3 + years ago. Have thoroughly searched this CD
> too - no mb manual, nothing relating to USB or chipset drivers
> Further - this PC (with XPHome pre-installed), but - not one of the
> support files on any of the CD's mention XP - all the drivers pre-date XP
> (are for W98 up to NT or 2000) so I would be reluctant to use these CD's
> as source for XPPro drivers.
> As far ASUS support is concerned - can get to the site via link
> http://usa.asus.com/aap/a7v266e-aa/overview.htm but that's as far as it
> goes - the overview only, further pages/downloads are just "not available"
> This actually replicates situation a year or more ago - had probs with the
> on-board CMI8738 sound, ASUS site then operated but was useless as far as
> updated drivers were concerned, none worked. Solved that prob by
> installing new sound card. Given both previous and current history, next
> time I upgrade it will not be an Asus m/b! I recall various forums
> discussing identical probs - all equally frustrated.
>
> Appreciate the advice, but alas! it's no good for Asus m/b's.
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>> All motherboards require reinstallation of the mobo chipset drivers after
>> a new installation of Windows. It is like needing to reinstall your
>> video card drivers. The usb2 card drivers on your cd are for versions of
>> Windows prior to XP SP1. They make no difference to XP SP1 and later
>> because they are built into the OS from SP1 on. Find the cd with that
>> came with the mobo or visit the manufacturer's site and download the
>> drivers and install them. There should be some useful utilities also.
>>
>> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
>>> Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
>>> used) the USB2 card installation CD.
>>> According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest)
>>> there's no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I
>>> auto-update (SP2 installed months ago, and all later updates as
>>> released).
>>>
>>> I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest
>>> beta, Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities
>>> schedule. I run total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't
>>> malware.
>>>
>>> PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed
>>> new DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.
>>>
>>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message

By chance, happen to have a friend who more than qualifies - he's stumped
too (similar advice - locate the drivers).
Thought I'd said (in another reply) that my pc is fully up-to-date with SP2
and later, and totally devoid of malware.

Given that, a year ago, Asus were unable to help with sound drivers, I
adjusted BIOS and Device Manager to de-activate on-board CMI8738 sound chip,
replaced with Audigy sound card. That prob.solved, no thanks to Asus.
(incidentally, most unusually, no-one could help in ng posting - sound probs
clearly not within this ng remit)

As far as LAN/ethernet is concerned - have 2 LAN cards, one, the cable
modem, the second, a 2 PC network - both work fine.
All kit installed/set up by me, with occasional ng help, which is most
appreciated.

I do have sufficient IQ to realise USB2 devices plugged into USB1 will
function at USB1 - if only that were the problem. it would be so simple to
rectify!
The problem is - USB2 card - with USB2/XP installation CD - will not
function at USB2 even though System Manager confirms the enhanced controller
is installed and working. (Applies to all devices - all OK, no conflicts).

Nor is it the fault of the USB2 4 port hub - same error occurs no matter
whether the device is connected to USB2 card direct or via the hub. The
killer is - the USB2 card/hub worked fine in XPHome! It's XPPro (or, the
combination of virgin hdd and XPPro installation) which first yielded the
problem.

> [...]
>> useless as far as updated drivers were concerned, none worked. Solved
>> that prob by installing new sound card. Given both previous and current
>> history, next time I upgrade it will not be an Asus m/b! I recall various
>> forums discussing identical probs - all equally frustrated.
>>
>> Appreciate the advice, but alas! it's no good for Asus m/b's.
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> All motherboards require reinstallation of the mobo chipset drivers
>>> after a new installation of Windows. It is like needing to reinstall
>>> your video card drivers. The usb2 card drivers on your cd are for
>>> versions of Windows prior to XP SP1. They make no difference to XP SP1
>>> and later because they are built into the OS from SP1 on. Find the cd
>>> with that came with the mobo or visit the manufacturer's site and
>>> download the drivers and install them. There should be some useful

Are you looking for A7V266-E/AA or A7V266-E, because everywhere you write
A7V266-E but that link says A7V266-E/AA?

Here:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Select Product (motherboard)
Select Series (Socket A(462)
Select Models (A7V266-E/AA or A7V266-E) depending on which one it is..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> kirjoitti viestissä
> If only ...
> http://usa.asus.com/aap/a7v266e-aa/overview.htm
>
> is the link to the Asus site, A7V266E rev 1.xx m/b, BUT the manual/chipset
> download page is "not available". Googling hasn't yielded any other
source,
> unless I mis-read it.
>
> I'm treading in virgin territory here - areas of expertise I'm not
confident
> of - so forgive me if I'm going OT -
> I remember a while back, updating BIOS - ACPI Bios rev 1006 1/23/2002
> installed. Is that relevant ?
>
> FWIW - though upgraded since, this pc started out as a pre-installed
XPHome
> commercial kit (Athlon 1.533Ghz on Asus m/b). The original m/b and
processor
> are about all that's left - added memory, both optical drives changed,
> original hdd is now "slave" to a new hdd, XPPro replaces XPHome, sound
card
> added, USB2 card added, 2 LAN cards .... I still have the original set-up
> CD's but the "Drivers" sections only relate to NVidea graphics and CMAudio
> sound - no trace of Asus A7V266E m/b or chipset drivers whatsoever. They
> could be in the "Setup.exe" file itself, but I'm unwilling to run that,
> given 3 years+ upgrades since, with no probs except this one.
>
> Can you help further, please?
>

> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Chipset drivers are the drivers for the motherboard. Although you're
using
> > a separate card, it could still be related to not having the correct
> > chipset drivers because those drivers affect things that are plugged
into
> > the motherboard -- like that usb card.
> >

> > "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
> >> Not sure what you mean about chipset drivers, but as stated I have (and
> >> used) the USB2 card installation CD.
> >> According to every diagnostic (System Manager, Belarc and Everest)
> >> there's no probs, every device is functionng normally. Also, I
> >> auto-update (SP2 installed months ago, and all later updates as
> >> released).
> >>
> >> I have a totally clean system, defended by AVG, MS antispyware latest
> >> beta, Spybot, Adaware, and daily clean/defrag by Tune-up Utilities
> >> schedule. I run total manual scans at least weekly, so, it ain't
malware.

> >> PC is working fine on all apps/hardware - except USB2. Just installed
new
> >> DVD_RW to replace DVD_R - that too working just fine.
> >>
> >> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message

USB2 -

I, too, have been running in circles. I'm trying to install a JumpDrive and
after hours in conference with service techs, I was told that I need to
Upgrade USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port and I need to upgrade my drivers by
downloading Service Pack 1.

Further research at this website turned up this: "FIX: A USB device
appears with yellow exclamation mark (Code 31) in Windows Device Manager" And
it says to contact Microsoft Product Support Service for that FIX. At that
page, I was sent in more circles and at this point, I'm lost.

The Lexar people said I don't have to Upgrade my USB port -- rather it will
just run more slowly. At this point, all I'm trying to find out is where I
can download the HOTFIX to solve the yellow exclamation point as quoted above.

Can anyone assist me?

I would start by installing service pack 2 for Windows XP. It is one of the
first things I do when servicing a computer these days.

--

"realmqt" <realmqt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I, too, have been running in circles. I'm trying to install a JumpDrive
> and
> after hours in conference with service techs, I was told that I need to
> Upgrade USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port and I need to upgrade my drivers by
> downloading Service Pack 1.
>
> Further research at this website turned up this: "FIX: A USB device
> appears with yellow exclamation mark (Code 31) in Windows Device Manager"
> And
> it says to contact Microsoft Product Support Service for that FIX. At
> that
> page, I was sent in more circles and at this point, I'm lost.
>
> The Lexar people said I don't have to Upgrade my USB port -- rather it
> will
> just run more slowly. At this point, all I'm trying to find out is where
> can download the HOTFIX to solve the yellow exclamation point as quoted
> above.
>
> Can anyone assist me?

My reluctance is that the firewall interferes with my online game playing.
But I haven't tried installation since beta. So, I've ordered the CD simply
because I cannot seem to download same from website -- getting "activex"
error messages.

I'll just wait out the 4-6 weeks.

Thanks

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> I would start by installing service pack 2 for Windows XP. It is one of the
> first things I do when servicing a computer these days.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "realmqt" <realmqt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I, too, have been running in circles. I'm trying to install a JumpDrive
> > and
> > after hours in conference with service techs, I was told that I need to
> > Upgrade USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port and I need to upgrade my drivers by
> > downloading Service Pack 1.
> >
> > Further research at this website turned up this: "FIX: A USB device
> > appears with yellow exclamation mark (Code 31) in Windows Device Manager"
> > And
> > it says to contact Microsoft Product Support Service for that FIX. At
> > that
> > page, I was sent in more circles and at this point, I'm lost.
> >
> > The Lexar people said I don't have to Upgrade my USB port -- rather it
> > will
> > just run more slowly. At this point, all I'm trying to find out is where
> > can download the HOTFIX to solve the yellow exclamation point as quoted
> > above.
> >
> > Can anyone assist me?

My board is A7V266E - all docs and diagnostics agree that.
Some-one kindly sent me an upgrade BIOS for it, but there's no guarantee
that upgrading BIOS will solve the problem anyway (esp. as, with existing
BIOS, the USB2 card worked with XPHome, it's only since upgrading to Pro
that it won't - which is not indicative of BIOS problem).
Since a new (non_Asus) board is pretty cheap, with on-board USB2 ( and will
work with my existing graphics card and CPU ) I'm planning to change the
m/b, thus completely avoiding the problem.
See later post "biting the bullet" 20 July.

Appreciate you thoughts, though. Thanks.

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are you looking for A7V266-E/AA or A7V266-E, because everywhere you write
> A7V266-E but that link says A7V266-E/AA?
>

> Here:
> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>
> Select Product (motherboard)
> Select Series (Socket A(462)
> Select Models (A7V266-E/AA or A7V266-E) depending on which one it is..
>

> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> kirjoitti viestissä
>> If only ...
>> http://usa.asus.com/aap/a7v266e-aa/overview.htm
>>
>> is the link to the Asus site, A7V266E rev 1.xx m/b, BUT the
>> manual/chipset
>> download page is "not available". Googling hasn't yielded any other
> source,
>> unless I mis-read it.
>>
>> I'm treading in virgin territory here - areas of expertise I'm not
> confident
>> of - so forgive me if I'm going OT -
>> I remember a while back, updating BIOS - ACPI Bios rev 1006 1/23/2002
>> installed. Is that relevant ?
>>
>> FWIW - though upgraded since, this pc started out as a pre-installed
> XPHome
>> commercial kit (Athlon 1.533Ghz on Asus m/b). The original m/b and
> processor
>> are about all that's left - added memory, both optical drives changed,
>> original hdd is now "slave" to a new hdd, XPPro replaces XPHome, sound
> card
>> added, USB2 card added, 2 LAN cards .... I still have the original set-up
>> CD's but the "Drivers" sections only relate to NVidea graphics and
>> CMAudio
>> sound - no trace of Asus A7V266E m/b or chipset drivers whatsoever. They
>> could be in the "Setup.exe" file itself, but I'm unwilling to run that,
>> given 3 years+ upgrades since, with no probs except this one.
>>
>> Can you help further, please?
>>

>> "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Chipset drivers are the drivers for the motherboard. Although you're
> using
>> > a separate card, it could still be related to not having the correct
>> > chipset drivers because those drivers affect things that are plugged
> into
>> > the motherboard -- like that usb card.
>> >

>> > "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message

> malware.

> new

> the

> almost
> with
> crashed

> the

> USB2 -

> has

You can disable Windows firewall, but hope you have a 3rd party soft
firewall or a hw firewall....

--

"realmqt" <realmqt@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> My reluctance is that the firewall interferes with my online game playing.
> But I haven't tried installation since beta. So, I've ordered the CD
simply
> because I cannot seem to download same from website -- getting "activex"
> error messages.
>
> I'll just wait out the 4-6 weeks.
>
> Thanks
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > I would start by installing service pack 2 for Windows XP. It is one of
the
> > first things I do when servicing a computer these days.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Quote from: George Ankner
> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >
> > "realmqt" <realmqt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I, too, have been running in circles. I'm trying to install a
JumpDrive
> > > and
> > > after hours in conference with service techs, I was told that I need
> > > Upgrade USB 1.1 port to USB 2.0 port and I need to upgrade my drivers
by
> > > downloading Service Pack 1.
> > >
> > > Further research at this website turned up this: "FIX: A USB device
> > > appears with yellow exclamation mark (Code 31) in Windows Device
Manager"
> > > And
> > > it says to contact Microsoft Product Support Service for that FIX. At
> > > that
> > > page, I was sent in more circles and at this point, I'm lost.
> > >
> > > The Lexar people said I don't have to Upgrade my USB port -- rather it
> > > will
> > > just run more slowly. At this point, all I'm trying to find out is
where
> > > can download the HOTFIX to solve the yellow exclamation point as
quoted
> > > above.
> > >
> > > Can anyone assist me?

When you upgraded to XPpro, did you install mobo drivers agin? I had to do
it, and I have an older mobo, Asus A7V133-C.
My USB2 card worked out out of the box.. (VIA chips on card)

System is: (HW) ASUS A7V133-C m/b (BIOS 1009), Athlon (T-bird) 1.2 GHz(FSB
100MHz),(Cooler Thermaltake TR2-M3), 512MB (SDRAM @100MHz, 256+2*128)),
200+120GB HDs(primary IDE, Seagate,Samsung), DVD-ROM and CD-RW(sec. IDE),
GF2MX (32MB), Creative SB Live!Value, Hercules SmartTV, D-Link
NetNic(DRN-32TX),Godegen Noble ATX8012 case with 350 power supply and 80mm
rear-mounted exhaust fan, external Zyxel Prestige645R ADSL modem, external
80GB HD (Seagate)

OS: Windows XPpro (SP1 and all fixes, not SP2, blue screens)

--

> [...]
> >> installed. Is that relevant ?
> >>
> >> FWIW - though upgraded since, this pc started out as a pre-installed
> > XPHome
> >> commercial kit (Athlon 1.533Ghz on Asus m/b). The original m/b and
> > processor
> >> are about all that's left - added memory, both optical drives changed,
> >> original hdd is now "slave" to a new hdd, XPPro replaces XPHome, sound
> > card
> >> added, USB2 card added, 2 LAN cards .... I still have the original
set-up
> >> CD's but the "Drivers" sections only relate to NVidea graphics and
> >> CMAudio
> >> sound - no trace of Asus A7V266E m/b or chipset drivers whatsoever.
They
> >> could be in the "Setup.exe" file itself, but I'm unwilling to run that,
> >> given 3 years+ upgrades since, with no probs except this one.

There is no way to upgrade USB 1.1 ports to USB 2.0 ports without
removing and replacing the USB 1.1 ports with USB 2.0 ports.

USB 1.1 ports are HARDWARE, not SOFTWARE. The only way to upgrade
HARDWARE is by REMOVING and REPLACING IT.

Once you have the USB 1.1 ports removed and replaced with USB 2.0
ports, you can replace the USB 1.1 DRIVER with a USB 2.0 DRIVER.

Unless your motherboard supports USB 2.0, and the USB 2.0 port is
installed on the USB 2.0 header (on the motherboard), you will have to
purchase and install a "USB 2.0" hub (piece of hardware) or card..

**** NOTE ****
Caps used for emphasis, not yelling.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

Go to the VIA web page and get the driver Microsoft should have in Windows XP
at:

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1200&SubCatID=122

"Yabbadoo" wrote:

> Help please - I'm going round in ever-diminishing circles here, almost
> disappearing up my fundamental you-know-what
> ..
> My PC had 6 USB1 ports - I upgraded by adding a 2-port USB2 card, with a
> USB2 4 port hub ... When I had XP Home, all was fine. I then crashed my
> hdd, so bit the bullet, got a new drive, and XP Pro and started again.
>
> The (Via) USB2 card was bought new, as was the 4 port hub - I have the
> driver CD for the card.
>
> According to System Manager, everything's fine, working correctly. BUT -
> every time I try to use my USB2 memory stick in one of the 4 ports on the
> hub, it comes up with "This would work faster with USB2 - put it in one of
> the 4 unused ports" .... which is unmitigated b/s as it's already IN one of
> them - changing makes no difference.
>
> I've already outed the 4 port hub in the belief it MIGHT be duff, got
> replacement - beggars belief that 2 sealed units are both u/s. Hub has
> external power, so it's not that either. It's driving me nuts - HELP !!!!

I had both USB1 (onboard) and USB2 (IDE card) both working on this pc when
it had XPHome (as stated originally). It's only after hdd failure, so new
hdd, new install of XPPro, that USB2 no longer works.
I didn't "upgrade" USB1 to USB2 - Iboth USB1 and USB2 co-existed and worked
at correct speeds under XPHome - 6 USB1 ports, 2 USB2 ports on added
USB2card, plus USB2 hub plugged into USB2 port and working too.

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:25:23 GMT, "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote:

>"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocrossNOSPAM@skycasters.net> wrote in message
>> There is no way to upgrade USB 1.1 ports to USB 2.0 ports without
>> removing and replacing the USB 1.1 ports with USB 2.0 ports.
>>
>> USB 1.1 ports are HARDWARE, not SOFTWARE. The only way to upgrade
>> HARDWARE is by REMOVING and REPLACING IT.
>>
>> Once you have the USB 1.1 ports removed and replaced with USB 2.0
>> ports, you can replace the USB 1.1 DRIVER with a USB 2.0 DRIVER.
>>
>> Unless your motherboard supports USB 2.0, and the USB 2.0 port is
>> installed on the USB 2.0 header (on the motherboard), you will have to
>> purchase and install a "USB 2.0" hub (piece of hardware) or card..
>>

>> **** NOTE ****
>> Caps used for emphasis, not yelling.
>>
>> Donald L McDaniel

>I had both USB1 (onboard) and USB2 (IDE card) both working on this pc when
>it had XPHome (as stated originally). It's only after hdd failure, so new
>hdd, new install of XPPro, that USB2 no longer works.
>I didn't "upgrade" USB1 to USB2 - Iboth USB1 and USB2 co-existed and worked
>at correct speeds under XPHome - 6 USB1 ports, 2 USB2 ports on added
>USB2card, plus USB2 hub plugged into USB2 port and working too.

Did you reinstall XP SP1 or SP2? Both of them install USB2.0 drivers.
Did you install any USB 2.0 drivers after reinstalling XP? Your
USB2.0 card probably requires drivers from the manufacturer of the
card. When I attempted to install the USB2 drivers contained on my
motherboard installation CD, they told me that XP contains the
necessary driver. If none were installed when you reinstalled XP,
download them from Microsoft and install them.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread.
If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
from my email address before sending.

Not a RE-installation - original system was XPHome (on hdd which ultimately
crashed). Installed XPPro on virgin hdd, religiously installed AV, SP2,
and, via Automatic Update, all later updates too, before any other software.

What I didn't do was install the chipset drivers - since rectified. Neither
the original chipset driver, nor the later driver, make an iota of
difference - USB2, which was working fine in XPHome, no longer works
properly on XPPro.
The USB2 card came with XP driver CD ( loaded re-loaded so many times I've
lost count) but the USB2 hub documentation stated it was designed for XP,
would be automatically detected. Which it is, but as "generic", not USB2.
However, a hub without a device is a collection of unused ports - inserting
a flash memory stick in the yields "port overload" message ( but same flash
stick direct into the card port, i.e. NOT using the hub - works fine.

Moment of madness getting Pro, but after all the grief I'm not going back to
Home. Only benefit is it's standalone (versus OEM version of Home).

Yabbadoo wrote:
> Not a RE-installation - original system was XPHome (on hdd which ultimately
> crashed). Installed XPPro on virgin hdd, religiously installed AV, SP2,
> and, via Automatic Update, all later updates too, before any other software.
>
> What I didn't do was install the chipset drivers - since rectified. Neither
> the original chipset driver, nor the later driver, make an iota of
> difference - USB2, which was working fine in XPHome, no longer works
> properly on XPPro.
> The USB2 card came with XP driver CD ( loaded re-loaded so many times I've
> lost count) but the USB2 hub documentation stated it was designed for XP,
> would be automatically detected. Which it is, but as "generic", not USB2.
> However, a hub without a device is a collection of unused ports - inserting
> a flash memory stick in the yields "port overload" message ( but same flash
> stick direct into the card port, i.e. NOT using the hub - works fine.
>
> Moment of madness getting Pro, but after all the grief I'm not going back to
> Home. Only benefit is it's standalone (versus OEM version of Home).
> "Donald L McDaniel" <orthocrossNOSPAM@skycasters.net> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:25:23 GMT, "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote:
> >

> >>"Donald L McDaniel" <orthocrossNOSPAM@skycasters.net> wrote in message

> >>I had both USB1 (onboard) and USB2 (IDE card) both working on this pc when
> >>it had XPHome (as stated originally). It's only after hdd failure, so new
> >>hdd, new install of XPPro, that USB2 no longer works.
> >>I didn't "upgrade" USB1 to USB2 - Iboth USB1 and USB2 co-existed and
> >>worked
> >>at correct speeds under XPHome - 6 USB1 ports, 2 USB2 ports on added
> >>USB2card, plus USB2 hub plugged into USB2 port and working too.
> >>

> > Did you reinstall XP SP1 or SP2? Both of them install USB2.0 drivers.
> > Did you install any USB 2.0 drivers after reinstalling XP? Your
> > USB2.0 card probably requires drivers from the manufacturer of the
> > card. When I attempted to install the USB2 drivers contained on my
> > motherboard installation CD, they told me that XP contains the
> > necessary driver. If none were installed when you reinstalled XP,
> > download them from Microsoft and install them.
> >
> > Donald L McDaniel
> > Please reply to the original thread.
> > If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
> > from my email address before sending.

Had a very similar problem. New motherboard (VIA chips)has USB2 ports.
New install of XP Pro W/SP2 on CD will set them to 1.1 only. Updated
Bios, uninstalled and reinstalled everything a dozen times to no avail.
Via won't supply drivers 'cause they are in XP. Mobo vendor has same
reason. M$ usual: "We don't write the drivers." Read "SCREW YOU".
Bought a 3 port USB2 card (VIA chip). XP wouldn't set it for USB2
either. Went to card vendors' site and found a file that would make it
"more compatible" (what ever that means). Ran the file and now at least
the add-on card works. Does USB sound like rocket science? Serial
protocols have been around since day one. I've never seen so much
energy spent trying to get something to work. Why can't someone get it
right?

John

Be sure that USB 2.0 is turned ON in the BIOS...

some support