Opty180 upgrade for secondary/old 939 system worth it?

iiiceaser

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I'm pondering getting an Opteron 180 for my old 939 system (To replace 3200+). Despite its age, and aside from the CPU, it's still a reasonably competitive system. With some rebates I got a pretty cheap video card upgrade for it about a year or two ago.. The basics are: A8N SLI mobo (NF4), 2gigs of good ram, 7900GT..

My newer Core2 system (about a year old) I use for most of my primary needs.. I guess what I'm asking is a pretty arbitrary question.. But does anyone have any opinion on whether they think it's worth $160 to put the 180 in my old system? If I did that I'd basically just be hoping to get decent enough power to use it as a modest editing and encoding station.. Then after another year or two I'd relegate it to a home server, where I know it would handle like a champ for years.

So, thoughts?

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Like you said, it is still a decently competative system. So, if you think you will actually get use out of it, it would be a good upgrade. Going from a single core 3200 to a dual core opty would make encoding and such run much better.

If you aren't going to use it much, though, it would be a great home server as is... just remove the video card and use onboard if you have it, or get a cheap card. Something that will not take much power and generate any heat. A 7900gt is overkill for a server.