Lenovo Processor Support

CyPsychotic

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
I hope this is the correct section, though it should be since it's a matter of motherboard support.

Anyway, my folks bought a Lenovo Thinkcentre A55 (8985-7UG). It sports a C2D E4300, 1GB DDR2-667MHz and a motherboard that CPU-Z claims has the 946GZ chipset. Now I know that Intel made 946GZ motherboards support the newer C2D (i.e. the ones running at 1066MHz and not at 800MHz like the one currently in the computer) but will this computer support something like that?

A lot of google searching and going through Lenovos website didn't yield any information. Hopefully someone else around here has tried this and is willing to share.

Thanks in advance.

I would check the bios settings for 1066 or email lenovo tech support if possible. I did find a bios flash update program for your board (which included other models) but I don't believe it included a cpu update. I wouldn't gamble on a bios flash. Better to get the cpu from a reputable vender with a 7 day return policy and pay the restocking fee instead of putting your board at risk while it's under warranty. I've had about 4 bad flashes in 15 years; it happens to everyone sooner or later.

CyPsychotic

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
My bios is updated and I did find in the readme that they added more CPU codes but nothing specific. I'll try emailing Lenovo to see what they have to say.

Good thing that I work for a Computer store so that I can take a C2D and try it, if Lenovo says that it's alright.