Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problem working with VERY large images

Last response: in Applications
Share
January 20, 2013 3:17:45 PM

Hello

I am using MS Paint to draw something and I just hit a memory wall.

My rig has 4 gigs of which about 1gig is used by windows and other programs, so I am left with 3 gigs to work with.

The problem is that I need to paint an image in MS Paint that has around 90.7K/90.7K pixels (90 000) that translates to almost 2400/2400 centimeters or 945/945 inches

when I try to open an image between 20,000 and 24,000 pixels I run out of memory ( and sometimes system freezes or chrashes, I use windows 7 ).

so, my question is, does anyone here know how much memory do I need for my project?

thanks
January 20, 2013 4:57:27 PM

You need around 4-6 bytes of memory per pixel.
a b $ Windows 7
a c 80 } Memory
January 20, 2013 4:57:37 PM

What is your motherboard? Depend on the MB, some MB can support up to 4GB RAM, 8GB or 16GB, 32GB.

If your MB can support up to 8GB or 16GB, but you may need the 8GB RAM (two of 4GB RAM) for the project.

Also what is your CPU?
Related resources
January 20, 2013 5:05:57 PM

cin19 said:
What is your motherboard? Depend on the MB, some MB can support up to 4GB RAM, 8GB or 16GB, 32GB.

If your MB can support up to 8GB or 16GB, but you may need the 8GB RAM (two of 4GB RAM) for the project.

Also what is your CPU?



MB is ok, can support up to 32 gigs
i5 cpu, so no problem here

what i am interested to know is how much I should spend on memory, because is one thing to buy 8 gigs and another to buy 32
and if buy 8 gigs and find out its not enough its like wasteing money for no gain, and also if I buy a 32 gigs kit and find out 8 gigs were sufficient, its like an overkill investment.
see my problem?
January 20, 2013 5:16:29 PM

I have 8 GB of RAM. I'll post the maximum size my RAM allows me to work with.
January 20, 2013 5:17:21 PM

Sunius said:
You need around 4-6 bytes of memory per pixel.



that is sooo uncool
I just verified this by dividing the amount of memory used and the number of pixels when i had a 20K by 20K image opened and its true, around 4 bits.

that means I wont be able to make it that big not even with 32 gigs of memory :fou: 
January 20, 2013 5:18:38 PM

Sunius said:
I have 8 GB of RAM. I'll post the maximum size my RAM allows me to work with.



use black and white settings, not color, this way you need a little less memory
January 20, 2013 5:46:18 PM

That's true. Each pixel will then take either 1/8 of a byte or 1 byte.
January 20, 2013 5:49:27 PM

so? how large did it let you scale it?
January 21, 2013 11:52:19 AM

At 30000x30000 it started bugging out, throwing random errors on out of memory issue on trying to save image/close paint. However, memory usage was at merely 250 MB for paint alone, so I really doubt it's memory limitation and upgrading RAM would solve it.

Did you try looking into other similar painting programs, like Paint.NET?
January 21, 2013 2:44:45 PM

Sunius said:
At 30000x30000 it started bugging out, throwing random errors on out of memory issue on trying to save image/close paint. However, memory usage was at merely 250 MB for paint alone, so I really doubt it's memory limitation and upgrading RAM would solve it.

Did you try looking into other similar painting programs, like Paint.NET?



now that is strange indeed

when I open a 9000 x 9000 pixel paint my memory usage is around 500 megs
at 15k x15k it gets to almost 2 gigs, JUST the paint, and total memory usage by the system to 3,5 gigs
I use windows 7 paint
Whats yours?

edit: and it almost crashed my system when I closed Paint at that resolution.
!