First attempts to overclocking

daanvb

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
First of all, my setup:
Asus Maximus Formula
E8400
2gb of Corsair Dominator pc8500 at 1066mhz dual channel

I've read alot of guides but couldn't really find a solution so I'll ask here.

My DRAM:FSB is at 16:10(or 8:5 simplified). I want to get this running at 1:1, but as soon as I increase the FSB frequency, the memory seems to scale with it keeping the 16:10 ratio intact.

Also I've tried to do some calculations on how much I would have to OC my CPU in order to get the prefered 1:1 ratio. I'm just doubting I'm doing it right =)

Any response would be more than welcome as I can really use a hand OCing, seeing as I've only started it yesterday ^^

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Normally, to get 1:1, you'd have to change the memory multiplier or something similar. Just changing the fsb without changing the ratio won't give you your desired speed.

There's a great OCing guide here, take a look.

daanvb

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Yep I have that option in my bios. FSB Strap to North Bridge. Right now it's on Auto but I can put it on 200mhz, 266mhz, 333mhz and 400mhz. I'm not really sure which option to pick though.

Also I don't see a PCI frequency option in my bios, will this cause a problem with SATA drives as someone mentioned in another topic?

daanvb

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I think I'm finally getting it now. Running my FSB at 340mhz atm(just to try it out) and my memory at 681mhz. Ratio is now 1:1.

So the higher I overclock my CPU, the higher the FSB frequency will become, the lesser I need to underclock my memory.

One more question, what is the max CPU temperature I should tolerate when OCing? Right now, core1 is at 39 and core2 at 44 degrees celcius.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

I think most newer mobos don't have the PCI freq settings. If you're talking about the PCI-e frequency setting, make sure you lock it at 100MHz so it doesn't cause any issues. Worst case scenario is if the vidcard can't handle it, then you can fry it. Also setting the PCI-E too high can potentially give you corrupt data.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

CPU multiplier x FSB = clock rate, so while your statement of OCing the cpu to increase the FSB is partly correct, it's rather...not right.

You increase the FSB to OC the CPU, not the other way around. It is also possible to increase the CPU multiplier (depends on CPU, not yours) so you don't need to increase the FSB speeds.

For your question, for core temps, stay under 65C, you can't go wrong with that.