Temperature and related issues with new build.

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hello,

I know I've posted a ton of topics as of late, but I want to make sure that I am not totally screwing up my system. On that note, I just built a new system. Everything has gone fin except a few (stupid) errors on my own part. I have downloaded a few programs that I hope will help me keep my system running nicely. Alright, the questions:

I have downloaded Speedfan and the Core2Duo extension for RivaTuner. Obviously both of the read from the bios. They are both currently reporting temps of 17C for core 1 and 12C for core two at idle. I don't really have any programs at my disposal to test the load speeds. It just seems like these are on the low side. I mean, there probably is not "too low" when it comes to running hardware, but I just wanted to make sure.

Speaking of temperature, I am also trying to monitor my GPU temps. For those of you who don't know, which I assume is a lot of you, I have an 8800GT. Well, anyways -- my idle temps in RivaTuner are ~52C on average when it is idle. Again, I have not tried load, but is that way to high? I mean, my fan is only running at 40%, but I can turn it up to ~55% before it gets annoying. I don't really care about annoying as my PC health is a lot more important.

Since I don't really like Speedfan or the Core2Duo extension for RivaTuner, does anyone happen to know a link to "Core Temp". It seems the maker's website is down.

Finally(for now), I was wondering if it was common for the little ram gauge on the windows sidebar to show 22% ram usage when no programs are running. It just seems silly the just keeping it up eats ~1Gig of ram. I have 4GB of ram if that helps.

Thank you,
-Adam

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hello again, one more question. This one really seems more important than the rest:

Should I be worried about this yellow triangle in rivatuner. It is in the shader memory hardware monitoring area. I have read around and it seems that this is because my clocks are higher than normal, but I haven't overclocked. Everything is at the defaults: 600/1500/1000...the one with the 1500 is the problem.

On the right side of the hardware viewer, it says 1512, but on the lest it says 1500..I'm kinda afraid that somethings broken or something. =\

Thank you,
-Adam

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Hmmm...quite a read. I'll check it out and see what happens.

On that same note, anyone have a general temperatures for the time being to just make sure that I am not going too high?

Also, would really appreciate some insight into the question asked in the second post.

Thank you,
-Adam

CompuTronix

Intel Master
aadamszc, the processor temperature information you want is also in the Guide under Section 6 - Scale 1 or Scale 5. Since there are 2 different thermal specifications for Core 2 Duo variants, I need to know which processor you have, in order to give you a quick answer, that is also a correct answer.

Also, the yellow triangles in Riva Tuner simply indicate that you've reached default alarm limits, which can easily be reset to wider tolerances. Remember that it's always helpful to list your rig's primary hardware and settings right up front.

Comp :sol:

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Ah, yes -- sorry about that. I have:

Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Intel core2Duo E6750
8800GT 512MB
4GB Corsair RAM
500W OCZ PSU
Coolermaster CAC-T05
WD 320GB HDD
DVD-RW+-
Windows Vista
Standard Monitor
Standard keyboard/mouse/etc.

I'm not trying to disagree with you or anything, but I just don't know how I reached the default alarm limits because I haven't OCed. Hmm... =\

CompuTronix

Intel Master
To clarify, as I recall from having used Riva Tuner, it has default or "general" alarm limits, which are set according to which GPU series it detects, but may not be specifically set to a particular card variant. As I've said, these alarm limits can easily be reconfigured to suit your overclocking requirements. This is also true for other overclocking utilities such as ATI Tool, as well as monitoring utilities such as SpeedFan.

Comp :sol:

TRENDING THREADS