Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can i use an Nvidia Graphics card with an ATI crossfire motherboard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2007 10:36:50 PM

Yes, as long as you don't want to use SLI. A single NV card will work in an ATI mobo and a single ATI card will work in a NV SLI board.
December 8, 2007 11:19:06 PM

lostandwandering said:
Yes, as long as you don't want to use SLI. A single NV card will work in an ATI mobo and a single ATI card will work in a NV SLI board.

+1

Best,

3Ball
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2010 2:36:24 PM

that information is not entirely true since i have an ATi motherboard with a NVIDIA videocard and i cant install the drivers for it and when i do i get no image on my screen, so NO it's not a good idea to purchase a nvidia whatever to combine it with an ati whatever....
April 13, 2010 2:58:29 PM

Quote:
that information is not entirely true since i have an ATi motherboard with a NVIDIA videocard and i cant install the drivers for it and when i do i get no image on my screen, so NO it's not a good idea to purchase a nvidia whatever to combine it with an ati whatever....

Quite an old thread to resurrect, but your case is an extreme rarity and one in which I personally have not heard of or experienced until I read your post. I would say in almost all cases it is safe to pair a an AMD/ATI chipset mobo with an nVidia graphics card. I built 3 systems over the weekend that all have this setup and work perfectly fine.

Best,

3Ball
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2010 3:05:34 PM

Quote:

What you are saying is your GPU wont work in your motherboard. There are thousands of people out there in exactly the same position as you, but they will have both an Nvidia card and an Nvidia Mobo. The same is true of ATI set ups thousands of people have an all ATI set up that wont work.
This could be that one or other of the Mobo or GPU are broken or it could just be down to bad driver install and uninstall practice giving conflicts that stops the GPU working properly.

There is no compatability reason why you cant run an ATI card in a Nvidia chipset Mobo and vice versa. You just cant run dual cards from one camp in the others Mobo.

Mactronix
a c 365 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2010 3:28:19 PM

lostandwandering said:

Actually you can use two ATI cards in a SLI mobo, and two nVidia cards in a XFire mobo as long as you are using them for separate monitors (i.e. not linking the video cards).
August 1, 2010 10:17:29 PM

Thanks people for your help. I was wondering if i could use the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (crossfire ready) with my Nvidia 9800 GT without causing any damage to the mobo and/or video card. Now i know that it is safe.
I have learned so much through the forums, so thank you people for taking your time in posting these "very precious" information.

Thanks you so much,

Everson D Freitas
a c 273 U Graphics card
a c 172 Î Nvidia
a b V Motherboard
August 1, 2010 10:27:21 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!