Previously bulletproof build won't start.

orwell

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
:fou:
My recently built e6400/BadAxe2/2gbpatriotram/nvidia 8800gts320mb computer has been running like a top for about 6 months. I have not changed anything with the system. But now all of a sudden, it will not start.

It began with the computer freezing in XP, with an infinite soundloop of whatever audio was being played. Now, it will not boot at all. I'll run down exactly what happens.

From a cold start, the computer starts, my monitor fires up. The monitor warms up just in time for me to see the end of the POST and then the monitor flicks off. The power button on my monitor blinks as if it is getting no display signal. The computer is still running at this point, but it is hanging. The fans are all spinning but I know it isn't getting to XP because I never hear the "welcome music". This rules out the video card.

I've already looked for dust, suspecting an overheat issue. No dust found. MoBo is pristine. I had another person suggest the power supply to me. Do any of you guys think this is a possibility? I've never had a PS fail on me so I have no idea what the symptoms are.

Any (speedy) help would be appreciated. I have a big dirty political science paper to work on, and a couple seasons of "The Wire" to watch, along with "Crysis" to beat. I also use my PC as a reciver for my XBOX360 audio, so I can't even play that right now. I am soooo Rotted!!!! Can anyone help please?!?!?!?!

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Sounds like the hard disk.

You do have XP on it's own small partition...right? You may want to re-install XP if it's on its own partition, if not, buy a new hard disk / install XP / attempt to salvage what data you can.

What hard disk do you have?

orwell

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
ghmage: I can't get into XP now at all, so I can't use any proggies like that! :(
Noya: Correct. I have a WD Raptor partitioned in half. I am running vista on one XP on the other. My friend's raptor, bought around the same time as mine, failed two months ago. It wouldn't suprise me.

HOWEVER. My monitor is flicking off right after post. I'm not familiar with the startup routine of a computer, but I didn't think the harddrives were being accessed until I saw the promt asking which OS I wanted to run....

I am going to try making a linux live disk or maybe buying another HD and making a fresh XP install today. I seem to do this every freaking month or two anyway (because of viruses and malware and crap), might as well do it again....

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Can you do me a favor and remove your motherboards battery and try to start again. then get back to me.Seeing as your fans are spinning it might not be your power supply.Is the fan on your vidio card also spinning? Also, if you have any kind of other memory hanging around try that after you try removing the battery. Double check all connections to your HDDs also. I build & sell highend SLI gaming machines, and also work as a reviewer / tester so i have run into all kinds of hardware problems. Please get back to me after you try this.

Stan

quotemsg=1762267,1,133483]:fou:
My recently built e6400/BadAxe2/2gbpatriotram/nvidia 8800gts320mb computer has been running like a top for about 6 months. I have not changed anything with the system. But now all of a sudden, it will not start.

It began with the computer freezing in XP, with an infinite soundloop of whatever audio was being played. Now, it will not boot at all. I'll run down exactly what happens.

From a cold start, the computer starts, my monitor fires up. The monitor warms up just in time for me to see the end of the POST and then the monitor flicks off. The power button on my monitor blinks as if it is getting no display signal. The computer is still running at this point, but it is hanging. The fans are all spinning but I know it isn't getting to XP because I never hear the "welcome music". This rules out the video card.

I've already looked for dust, suspecting an overheat issue. No dust found. MoBo is pristine. I had another person suggest the power supply to me. Do any of you guys think this is a possibility? I've never had a PS fail on me so I have no idea what the symptoms are.

Any (speedy) help would be appreciated. I have a big dirty political science paper to work on, and a couple seasons of "The Wire" to watch, along with "Crysis" to beat. I also use my PC as a reciver for my XBOX360 audio, so I can't even play that right now. I am soooo Rotted!!!! Can anyone help please?!?!?!?![/quotemsg]