Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I have been asking about a new CD drive in another thread but am reluctant to buy one just yet.

The problem is that i haven;t been able to burn CD's for ages. :fou: I can play CD's, rip music from them....everything except burn. When ever i try to Media Player wont do it and Winamp completely crashes.

Does that sound like a new CD drive is in order?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Either incompatible or junk CDs or a bad CD burner. Or it could be that it's not strapped right for the location on the PATA (IDE) ribbon cable. Also could be a complication from having it on the same cable as the HD. Lastly it could be set for PIO not DMA, but you most likely would have seen that already, due to the slow operation and high CPU usage.

Get the new SATA DVD. If it doesn't burn, then get some new disks.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Can't find the firmware updates anywhere. Apparently this is a common problem for this drive and there is no support from HP for this model!! I feel cheated, especially as the HP headquarters are 5 minutes from my house!

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
hp dvd writer !?!?,,,, not with a ten foot pole,,never,no way,not even if they payed me...you're not stuffing dvd's into a cd writer,by any chance,eh what ??...you do mean dvd writer now ,don'tcha..........:)

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I hope your not insulting my intelligence there :s

Its a dvd burner and im putting cd's into it. But i think your right tho, was a mistake getting one made by hp. Gonna be going with the Asus DRW-20B1LT, seems a good choice and a good price

kitsilencer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
With HP, they sometimes use generic drives. If you have the model number of the burner, you can find another manufacturer (seller, actually) with the same model and download the firmware flash.