8800GT red artifacts/crashing issue

underpantgnome

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Well at least I think its the video card's fault. I just built a new system: q6600 (with coolermaster 212 w/120mm sflex fan), abit ip35 pro, 4 gigs of crucial ballistix ddr2 800, Thermaltake purepower 600w, and two sata hard drives. I installed Windows XP 64bit, all my drivers etc just fine. But when I go to play COD4 or UT3, the same issue happens. I play for about 2 minutes, then in an instant, my screen is covered with red artifacts and 3 seconds later it locks up. I've only looked at my idle temps so far, but my CPU runs at 30C and the video card (EVGA btw) is at 47C. I installed the latest forceware drivers for XP 64. To be honest I'm not even sure its the video card, but the problem only happens with gaming thus far. I'm going to try installing an older game to see if it happens there too.

Any of you more knowledgeable folk have any ideas? Thanks!

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Sounds like an overheat problem. As it's EVGA guessing it's overclocked as standard? Try running this prog http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1717 and checking your temps at the same time. 47C sounds like an Idle temp?

If it does turn out to be an overheat problem d/l AtiTool or nvidia equiv and set the fan speed higher. Or send it back as faulty. Mind those little swines are hard to get your hands on.

Anyway thats just what i think, not had nvidia since the mighty Geforce2MX so i could be wrong. Seems like a load of people on here have them maybe they could help more.

underpantgnome

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I just tried an older game (freelancer) and the same thing happened. I also just tried that program and it also did the same thing. Red artifacts then locked up.

UPDATE: I did an event log of my temps during the stability test for that OpenGL program. My card is idling up 47C, then jumps to 53C when the prog starts and continues to 60C, at which point said crash occurs.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Sounds like it's knackered. Have you tried older drivers? Just a thought are the red artifacts only in dark shaded areas? Might just be a case of bad overclock...

underpantgnome

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Ok, after some lengthy searching and testing, I've definitely confirmed that it is overheating. I guess its a common problem with the 8800GT (possibly limited to the EVGA version, but I'm not sure). Despite being set to "auto adjust", the fan does not change its speed during 3d applications. So it is set at 30% and doesn't budge. I downloaded Riva Tuner to adjust fan speed manually. It still crashed at 60%, but it was very stable for about an hour at 100% while playing UT3. But then it crashed.

I did an eventlog (using ntune) of it at 100% speed and this time it crashed after only reaching 48C. A moderator on EVGA said these cards were designed to reach 100C, but I'm barely reaching half of that. Granted, that may be a bit of an exaggerated figure, but people have still reported 70-80C temps. Should I RMA the card?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

It's that, Or when I OC'd my videocard a little to much I got alternating red squares across the screen, it was pretty wild but I underdclocked my memory to 1950 and all is well again. But since you didnt mention OC'ing it could be related to the memory getting hot, I would RMA it.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
^+1
Might be the psu. ALOT of people had/have problems with Thermaltake's Toughpower psus and the 8800gt. It sounds like the card though. I agree with what stranger said.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
^+1
Might be the psu. ALOT of people had/have problems with Thermaltake's Toughpower psus and the 8800gt. It sounds like the card though. I agree with what stranger said.

sailer

Splendid

He has the Thermaltake Pure power, which is not one of the best PSUs. The Toughpowers over 600wt have a good reputation, rated as being tier 2. But the problem with his video card sounds like bad memory, not a psu problem.

Since this is a new video card, I wouldn't remove the heatsink and reapply paste unless directed to do so by EVGA. Doing so could well wipe out any warrenty claim on the card. I'd RMA the card.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
It actually sounds like there is something wrong with the memory on the card, because I've had a similar issue way back when. EVGA told me that the memory was all bunked up, so they sent me a new card...this was way back in the day though.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
he should just get ati tool or riva tuner and force the chipset fan to 100%
if he still gets artifacts and crashes, he should RMA... anyway glad you got a new one.. hurray for EVGA's service :>

chanandler

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I have the same sort of problem with a Gigabyte 8800GT card I bought a few weeks ago. All works fine until I play any game and then the system freezes within 2 minutes of starting to play.

Nothing in the event log, no messages on screen when the PC re-starts (after pulling the power), nothing.

All very strange and rather annoying. I know it has to be the card as it does it in a friends PC and I bought a cheap 8400GS and that runs fine, even when playing games.

ltrambo85

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t55156.html

I havent had this problem since I first bought it and SWG but I just stopped playing after the first 2 times which was at the end of octber when they firs released. So like I said it hasnt happened since then. 8 months later Im playing D&D Online and BOOM after 4 hours of play I see the red artifacts of DOOM! So WTF I cant really see it being bad memory or overheating. Anyone else heard any news of this. I get 43C Load. Getting rdy to switch to a 750i board.

G

Ive RMAed my 8800gt once already, and immediately i froze up, then restarted, then froze up, then started to play wow after that restart.. worked fine till i went somewhere for about 2 minutes, then red artifacts on the top part of my screen (and it was frozen),.. ive had my old 8800gt forever, and it worked fine till i got my new 2.66 c2d, 2x2g ocz fatal1ty ram, 680i SLI and 500 watt psu.. it worked fine before, but then i got either restarted or froze up after about 1 hour - 2hours gameplay. my temps were fine, and sometimes i crash when just in desktop or internet.. So, i advise RMAing this card, im having to do the same for mine after just having my old one rmaed. good luck