Finally decided to upgrade from Single core

Ibn Saeed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Hello

I am new here.

I have finally decided for a complete upgrade of my computer.

Presently, I am running

Videocard: SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600 ATLANTIS
Processor: AMD Athlon XP, 1215 MHz
Mainboard: MSI KT4AV (MS-6712)
Memory: 512 MB + 256 MB + 256 MB = 1 GB DDR/SDRAM

I would be updating in April 2008. I would like to know, should I go with Core Duo 2 or Quad Core.

I am a heavy Multi-Tasking user, so I need a powerful computer. I also play games occasionally.

My budget = $1,200 - $1,500 (Only the CPU)

Is it worth buy Quad or to save money and buy Duo

Can anyone list the names of the specs.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Wow, that is still a nice little computer, hope you can hand it off to a girlfriend or a relative!

Well, I would only point you in the direction of a Phenom Quad when the L3 Cache bug gets revised next stepping.

All the gear to go with it, from any vendor, will serve you extremely well, so next post give us some board makers you like so we can start researching.

Ibn Saeed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
I have read reviews that Phenom is not that good.

So I would like to move to Intel this time.

My present AMD system is 3 years old.

Interested:
Processor : Intel
Graphics : nVidia

The rest I would like to get advice.

dustyjsutton

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Core 2 Quad wouldn't hurt. I have a Core 2 Duo, and it's a sweet processor, but more never hurts if you have the money. I'm weary of AMD. My mum is a stock broker and she won't invest in AMD as they are making bad business decisions. Intel is a safe bet.

Ibn Saeed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
How about this setup:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme
CPU Fan: Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
Motherboard: MSI P6N SLI Platinum
RAM: PDP Patriot PC2-6400 PDC22G6400LLK
Graphics: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000YS
Case : SILVERSTONE TEMJIN SST-TJ02SW
Power : AeroCool ZERODBA-S620
DVD-RW: Sony NEC Optiarc 7170 SATA

Is the above setup good ? Would you repalce anything ?

I am thinking about Motherboard = MSI P35

Ibn Saeed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
If im correct, SLI gives you the option of having 2 graphics card placed on the motherboard ?

If yes, then I go not need SLI

AdamJ

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
Come back around March if you are buying in April as things will be completely different.(for the most part)

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
I'm with Adam j. Prices and products can change dramatically in 4 months. Besides your configuration may be $100 cheaper by then and if DDR 3 prices come down enough by then you could slip into that.

AdamJ

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
better yet dont come back in march, come back when you are ready to buy it. You can not pick out your build 4 months before you are buying it. nvidia will have the new 9 series by then which is a fact because its comming in febuary and if it is pushed back its not going to be too long because your buying in April. Intel, idk wtf they are doing will most likely have something better/newer than the Q6600 and could be around ~300 also. So wait, if u wanna start picking stuff out pick out a cpu cooler, though thermalright/scythe/the others may have a newer better one that could drop the temps by another 1-5 degrees than the best one can do now. X38 mobo prices may drop a bit which could be good if you are not going for SLi or maybe thye will support SLi, idk. Just wait, and dont worry about it until the time comes

I guess you are 1 second faster than me

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Yes it the 45nm would be better to go with. However it was just released about 2 weeks ago and it is just becoming available. I would price a quad core 45nm 2.66GHz at around $300 - $350 for at least the next few months with a possible $20 price decline around the time you are ready to build.

Ibn Saeed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Thank you for your humble advice :)

I really appreciate it.

I will certainly wait and come back. In the meantime, I will try and get up to date with the tech.

Also, one last request. Do you know of any online store which ships Internationally to United Arab Emirates.

AdamJ

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
Did a quick google check for you and I cant find anything.
give newegg a check and tigerdirect. zipzoomfly also. I really dont know if they do.

biggy52

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Hi Ibn, You wanted to check if these online shops ship in UAE?. Well not really.they dont.

But i guess whatever u need from mobo, gfx and cpu point of view. Everything is available in Dubai - Al Ain Centre Bur Dubai.

Ibn Saeed

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Hello biggy

Thanks for the headups.

Do they carry the latest hardware ?

What is the price difference between their price and online stores.

biggy52

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Hi . Well most of my friends in UAE use Aramex Shipping systems to ship from online sites. Newegg doesnt ship to Aramex anymore. From what i know.

The prices in dubai arent as tasty as those on online sites. But if you add up shipping costs etc etc. You will come to realise its better to buy locally.

I just bought my system from Dubai 2 weeks back. Here is a small example. I bought the Q6600 Quad Core Processor for 300 USD. Its around 20 USD more expensive then online sites.

... We do have a middle east hardware forums online. You could join up and maybe the guys there can help you out with your purchase decision and the local UAE prices as well. Just post your query there and maybe we can help.

www.tbreak.com/forums

I dont know if i can advertise another forum here , So Mod, if i am breaking the rules...just delete the forum name, My apologies.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
What part of the United Arab Emirates are you located? If I'm not mistaken from what I've heard...Dubai's computer parts are EXTREMELY cheap....you can get so much for your money it's ridiculous. At least this is what I've heard. But then again you're probably not in Dubai ^.^

biggy52

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Quality and Branded Parts are expensive in Dubai , Not very expensive, but 10 - 20 USD only.

Unbranded parts are cheap, For example you can get a chinese brand Power Supply there for around 13 USD. Or maybe an Epro casing for just 19 USD. with power supply.

So what i mean to say is for good quality price, dubai isnt cheap.

leo2kp

Distinguished
"Or maybe an Epro casing for just 19 USD. with power supply."

Don't skimp on the PSU. That could force you to re-spend all that cash for another rig if/when it fails on you :( IMO that's the most important quality part you should buy above mobo and HDD. A HDD won't kill your $550 video card when it burns out lol.

Also you might want to consider an 8800GT if they're in stock at that time. Can be up to $250 less, and with a factory overclocked GT (good ones for around $330 right now), you can match or beat the performance of a GTX.

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
dude checkout after 4 months,so much can change over those months . . so keep in touch with reviews and buy what will suite you when you are ready