Need help on putting together a gaming rig

Joehhh

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Hey, I'm new to these great forums as you can see. My mate referred me to this site for help so I was wondering if I could get some.

Could someone please put together a gaming rig for about $1900 (just the box) it can reach up to $2000 if its really needed. I intend on playing the next-gen games - particularly COD4 and Crysis.

Using http://www.itestate.com.au

Perhaps starting off with the:
- Q6600
- Just a 250GB HDD (since im running on a 160gb now and have not required any more space).
- I don't prefer Nine Hundred as i'm looking forward to a red/orange theme (g15 2007 version and g9) unless you can convince me otherwise to get it.
- Also i'm not planning on SLi, so just one graphics card will do. I'll probably go for the 8800GTS 512MB Edition when it comes out. So please try include it (just put $XX for the price but consider it's price range if you know what its possible price range is)

I'd like to note that i'm purchasing a 20" or 22" monitor if that helps.
Add cooling + all components as necessary please

Hello and welcome to the forums mate :)

well with that $, your choices for CPU,HDD and VGA are fine, so:

Motherboard: ASUS P5K-E WIFI (If u plan to OC, then get the WIFI version, if u dont plan to OC, then get the normal P5K-E, the WIFI version has better cooling ) or ABIT IP35 PRO

RAM: Get a 4GB DDR2 800 RAM (if u plan to OC, then get a RAM with 4-4-4-x
or lower timings, if not then the timings arent very important)

PSU:OCZ GAMEXSTREAM 700 (i always recommend OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 600 but with that $, then go for the GAMXSTREAM 700, its a solid PSU)

If u want to OC, your CPU, then Thermalright ULTRA 120 , ThermalTake BigTyphoon, Tuniq Tower are cood CPU coolers

Joehhh

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I like the sound of 4GB Ram since i'm going for 64BIT Vista (Premium). Choosing the motherboard was my main concern, so thanks again. I guess i'm looking for a sound card aswell. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Is the p5k-e on board sound card worth using? or should I get another one. (remember, its for gaming)

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Hi
I build & sell highend SLI gaming machines,and also work as a reviewer / tester for a major hardware review site. I have a system that i built for someone that ended up going to jail for 5 years. He never paid for this,so i an now putting it up for sale for around $2600. Here's the specs.

Case - Thermaltake Mozart TX
Motherboard - eVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1
Processor - Intel e6750
Cooler - Zalman 9500
Vidio cards - Two eVGA 512 MB 8800GT KOs - 675 core clock / 1950 memory clock
HDD - Samsung 500GB
Memory - 4GBs XMS2 Pro PC6400
Sound card - Creative / Audigy 4
Power Supply - PC Power & Cooling 850 w
DVD - Samsung 18x DVD burner with light scribe
DVD - Lite On 20x DVD burner
OS - XP Pro

for $2700 ill throw in a 22" Acer LCD. Everything here is brand new except for the case which was used for two months There is also a CoolIt Systems PCI cooling booster to cool the vidio cards, and also a Corsair Dominator Ram fan. This is setup in SLI and goes through Crysis and Call of Duty 4 with no problems. Both games are also installed on this machine.

I can take some photos of this is you would like to see it.

Stan

quotemsg=1762350,1,303193]Hey, I'm new to these great forums as you can see. My mate referred me to this site for help so I was wondering if I could get some.

Could someone please put together a gaming rig for about $1900 (just the box) it can reach up to $2000 if its really needed. I intend on playing the next-gen games - particularly COD4 and Crysis.

Using http://www.itestate.com.au

Perhaps starting off with the:
- Q6600
- Just a 250GB HDD (since im running on a 160gb now and have not required any more space).
- I don't prefer Nine Hundred as i'm looking forward to a red/orange theme (g15 2007 version and g9) unless you can convince me otherwise to get it.
- Also i'm not planning on SLi, so just one graphics card will do. I'll probably go for the 8800GTS 512MB Edition when it comes out. So please try include it (just put $XX for the price but consider it's price range if you know what its possible price range is)

I'd like to note that i'm purchasing a 20" or 22" monitor if that helps.
Add cooling + all components as necessary please[/quotemsg]