Setup did not find any hardisk drives installed.....

blahhx99

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I get an error when trying to install Windows XP pro
"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Make sure any hard disk dirves are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied to diagnostic or setup program. "

I have tried installing (by pressing F6 during boot up) the IDE (which is what my Harddrive is hooked up through) drivers and SATA drivers (Just for the hell of it) from the ASUS downloads for the p4p800 Motherboard. Both did not work. So Im not really sure if they were the right drivers I needed or not.

I got the information I needed from this website, http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/nohdd/indexfullpage.htm

But I still cannot tell exactly what drivers they are talking about.

Out of desperation I recently reformated my hard drive, whoops, this didn't work either.

So if anyone could give me advice on how to fix this issue or exactly what drivers I need I will dance at your wedding

thank you:)

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
I'd try checking your BIOS and making sure the are detected. Also, make sure you properly set the jumper(s) on the HDDs and CD/DVD drives. This may include setting the jumper(s) to Cable Select.

blahhx99

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007

Under my BIOS is has

Primary IDE Master: WDC WD800JB-00ETA0

As for the last part of your statement I'm kind of a noob with this stuff so do you mind clairifying that part.

Also not sure if it makes any difference but I did not have trouble initially with my first xp install. Its just after my reinstall/reformat attempts these problems started showing up

P4P800 - shouldnt need drivers, check you got your ide configuration and jumpers right, and in the bios make sure you set ide/sata to enhanced mode to enable IDE AND SATA

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005

On the rear of the HDD where you plug in the IDE cable, there will be an assortment of pins and a jumper cap. The pins are in a layout of roughly 2 pins high by 4-6 pins long (I forget). On the top of the HDD, there should be something that shows a picture of these pins and different layouts that refer to Cable Select, Master, and Slave Drive.

Here's a link to a SATA HD that has the jumper pins located to the left of the 4-pin molex connector:
http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/sata_hard_drive_connectors_jumpers_3.jpg

mattman5170

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
By factory default all HDD are set to Cable Select. With the drive set to this, you need to make sure you plug the drive into the LAST plug on the IDE Cable (the wide ribbon cable). If you don't do this, it may not be detected by Windows properly.

If that does not work, try a different HDD and see if Windows Setup detects that one. There have been times where the HDD I have been using was detected by the BIOS and not by Windows Setup. In those cases the controller on the HDD is bad and needs to be RMAed.

moharaz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
hi...
i believe that nothing to do with the cable or jumper or something like that...
i believe that happen coz of master boot record...
if u previously install windows vista or maybe linux, you will experience this sort of problem...
try to install vista instead windows xp...if success, then it is confirm coz odf mbr...

sorry for my english...
:??: