Sign in with
Your question

Nirvana Nv120 vs Tuniq 120

Last response: in Overclocking
April 25, 2008 9:33:11 PM

I recently got a ZeroTherm Nirvana Nv 120.

I've seen that it labels it has a cooling capacity 150W+. Although I can't seem to find what my Tuniq 120 cooling capacity is. I brought the Nv 120 for my E4400 in re-building my old linux box, but started to wonder if I should use the Nv 120 on my Q6600 in place of the Tuniq.

The reviews I've seen, makes them out pretty much the same. Although, the differences I see:

1.) Nv 120 has 4 heat pipes, and the Tuniq 120 has 3.
2.) The bottom of the Nv 120 looks smoother (actually reflective shiny) then the Tuniq base.
3.) And the Nv 120 weighs about 170g less.

I've looked at a few reviews, seems evenly balanced. I feel lazy to figure out myself since there would be quite amount of time/work to change things out, and just don't wanna do a swap if there's no difference. :lol: 

Anyone have thoughts to share?
April 25, 2008 9:38:15 PM

Indeed, most of the reviews I have read has shown that the Nirvana is the better or equal to the Tuniq tower. This is probably due to the fan though, since Nirvana's is faster I think.

Anyways, both of em won't do you wrong, temps will probably be within 3C of each other.
April 25, 2008 10:03:13 PM

Whelp... I might try swapping it out maybe tonight. My other MB is out for RMA. I brought an open box from NewEgg (Another MSI P6N Plat $80) and it wouldn't post. :cry: 

I think NewEgg didn't really test it properly. When I put it together, it looked like everything was fine. It came with what was called a D-Bracket. It has 4 leds (green/red) that help troubleshoot problems.

Turns out when I hooked it up, the leds wouldn't light up, indicating to me the bios wasn't working. All the lights are suppose to be red, which would indicate CPU problem or no CPU installed. I tested the D-Bracket on my other MSI MB and it works fine.

So I'm guessing the person who had that MB messed up on updating the bios. Other then that I didn't see anything physically wrong with the MB.

Anyhoo... when I swap out the HS, if I see a difference, perhaps I'll make... another thread. :lol: 
Related resources
April 26, 2008 1:35:37 AM

I have an NV-120 Premium that I used on a fast built 6000+/8800GTS 512/M2N32-SLI Deluxe.

One of my DFI boards had a cap die on the voltage feed to the ram so I slapped the above together while I search for the DFI shipping receipt for RMA.

I only use Thermalright but when I orderd the parts they did not have what I wanted in stock.
The NV-120 works ok but is is -far- from working as well as the Thermalright coolers I use.
April 26, 2008 1:09:12 PM

Well... hehe, I thought long and hard about this.

So I went ahead and change the HSF out. Turns out from just doing some tests, the NV120 performs the same as my Tuniq. However, the main reason why I decided to change them out is mainly that I see the NV120 is easier to clean.

After my first experience in getting all the dust bunnies out of my Tuniq (7 months of use), it just got me thinking, since I use my XP machine allot more then the Linux. Also my Linux case has perhaps less airflow then my XP case, meaning less dust, but still enough dust to have a fit over say... in 1 year or so. :lol: 

One last thing I'd like to mention if anyone perhaps don't know, that I found out, the back bracket screws are the same thread/size type. So I'm actually using the Tuniq back plate instead of the NV120 back plate. I left the seal on the sticker when I installed it, but the pressure actually made the back plate stick so I didn't have to remove the MB as long as it was sitting flat.

All in all, I think I made a alright decision on the switch, even though they were pretty much equal.

So my hottest core on the DTS side was 52C on the 800000 iterations on prime95 on both HS.

Edit:

On my 2.850 OC.. err 2.844 OC. :oops: 
!